PDA

View Full Version : 5-6" MOA accuracy from an M1A Scout Squad?

MisterWhite
September 28, 2010, 11:56 AM
While doing some perusing on the intraweb today and stumbled upon this web site:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/affordable_accuracy.htm

The article is pretty long, but the first two paragraphs are what has me perplexed. There, the fellow claims he can only achieve 5-6" groups from his M1a. The range was not specified, but he said he was assuming 2-3 MOA, so I'm assuming 100yds.

This just doesn't seem right to me. I mean, I can get 3" groups at 100yds with my crappy century AK. Anyone care to share their own personsal experience with the scout squad rifle? This article has me puzzled.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

demigod
September 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
5-6" groups would be 2-3 MOA at 200 yards.

MisterWhite
September 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
correct....but i believe this was at 100 yards.

either way doesn't that sounds pretty sloppy for the rifle at hand?

srkavanagh6621
September 28, 2010, 02:30 PM
HAHA i sure hope thats not the case since i just purchased myself one! I did get to shoot it a few times but you can easily shoot under 6MOA. I was just using magtech ammo and was getting 2 inch group from hundred off the bench. Im pretty excited to work up some handloads and get bring it hunting. But I sure wouldnt think any $1500 rifle would shoot that bad! Ill put it through some tests this weekend and let you know what i find for sure!

divil
September 28, 2010, 02:50 PM
This (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424355)thread in the General Discussion area might shed some light on the article for you.

alloy
September 28, 2010, 03:27 PM
My scout shoots up and away faaaar better than that.
My Socom too for what it's worth. It took a bit of work however with the Socom.
Both with irons.
But I admit with an AK 6 inches is a decent day for me so we are even. Just can't make those communist sights work with my tired eyes.:rolleyes:

Maybe his scope mount was bouncin around.

spacecoast
September 28, 2010, 03:32 PM
MOA is independent of range, it's an angular measure. At 100 yards 1 MOA is about 1", about 2" at 200 yards, etc.

Jo6pak
September 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
Mine averages 3" groups at 100 yds with the cheap ammo I feed it. (Herter's, Silver Bear) Better than that with commercial ammo.

THORN74
September 28, 2010, 05:21 PM
per US ARMY regs... it should be a MINIMUM 4 MOA rifle. Most M1As shoot way better, but it could be the shooter not the rifle :cool:

alloy
September 28, 2010, 05:36 PM
100 yard, iron sights, right out of the box.
I don't think it's exceptional but more likely typical.
So whatever it is, I figure it should be somewhat tighter scoped....if I get around to it....but it isn't 6 MOA. I'd wrap it around a tree if it was.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/PICT1173.jpg

44 AMP
September 28, 2010, 09:40 PM
Because its not necessary to answering your question!;)

Here's some points to consider;
1) somebody else's group size doesn't matter, because...
a: He may be a crappy shot
b: His rifle may not like the ammo used
c: He may actually have a lemon
d: He may be confused, or confusing us with his explanation
e: Its not your rifle. Your rifle could behave completely differently.
f: etc., etc., etc

Ever hear the one about the guy with the Steyr SSG that was grouping like a shotgun? SSGs are good rifles, right? Accurate, right? His wasn't. 6-8" groups (or worse) at 100yds. It wasn't the shooter, he could group fine with other rifles.

He was about to sell off his SSG cheap, and go on a tear bashing them, but fate intervened! A friend got him to shoot a box of match ammo. For some unknown reason, it shot a LOT better than the Phillippine surplus GI ball ammo he had been shooting! He fell in love with his SSG all over again.

The moral is, don't blame the gun design, or even the individual gun when somebody else gets crappy groups. There might just be more to it than was told.

Kmar40
September 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
100 yard, iron sights, right out of the box.You can see that red dot on a paper target at 100 YARDS?

SR420
September 29, 2010, 07:36 PM
My Scout was about 2.5 - 3.0 MOA out of the box with Portuguese surplus.

alloy
September 29, 2010, 07:42 PM
You can see that red dot on a paper target at 100 YARDS?

Someone else asked me that recently.:)
I see a flourescent blip sitting on top of the sight post, the plate is irrelevant, I can't see it at all.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/PICT1175.jpg