PDA

View Full Version : browning bar 30-06

rem08
September 27, 2010, 11:52 PM
i need some help please .
i found in the paper tonight a browning bar in 30-06 s/n 55241m77 which i have not been able to find out the age of the gun, but if i had to guess i would say late 60's or 70's ( if anyone can help on dating this gun that would be great)
The guy says he bought the rife used in 99' he said he has shot it only a few times, and hunted with it twice.
he want's $450 for it,(not sure what the gun is worth ) said bluing is 99% small scratch on forearm grip but that's all, Otherwise gun is in great shape.
What are your thoughts, is it a good deal ? is it a good gun? is there anything i need to look for that could pose as a potential problem when i go to look at the gun ?
thanks for you help .
p/s i also hand load and not sure if that helps with this rifle, i read some mixed reviews on gun not being that accurate with factory ammo .

Scorch
September 28, 2010, 12:22 AM
55241= serialized production number
M= BAR High Power Rifle
77= year of mfg

BARs from that period are worth about $900-$1100 in good condition. They were manufactured and assembled in Belgium, guns after about 1985 were assembled in Portugal from parts made in Belgium.

BARs are known to be very accurate, I have seen BARs that would shoot around 1", but typically they will shoot 1" to 2" at 100 yds with handloads. One reason they can be not very accurate with factory ammo is the widely varying pressures of factory ammo.

BODAME
September 28, 2010, 05:54 AM
Ck it out
Sold a 73 for 650.00 few wks ago

GeauxTide
September 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
Owned two BARs when they first came out - a 308 and a 7mmRM. They were shooters and functioned perfectly. $450 - jump!

Skans
September 28, 2010, 01:57 PM
Maybe someone can answer this for me. Why did Browning name their hunting variety of semi-auto rifles BAR's? When I think about the Browning BAR, I'm refering to the 1918 full auto BAR.

As far as I know, these are two completely different types of rifles. Why the same name?

UniversalFrost
September 28, 2010, 03:01 PM
REM08

i would totally pass on that gun if I were you. a total POS....

now, if you would be kind enough to forward me the contact information for the seller I would take it off his hands so as not to let it pass into another users hands and ruin their shooting day. . :p

also, for handloading for a BAR get a small base sizer die (you can try out a full length sizer first, but if you run into feeding and chambering issues you will need a small base sizer).

I have a BAR in .243 that I use the small base sizer for when reloading and it is 100% go to go.

Scorch
September 28, 2010, 03:56 PM
Maybe someone can answer this for me. Why did Browning name their hunting variety of semi-auto rifles BAR's? When I think about the Browning BAR, I'm refering to the 1918 full auto BAR.
Instant name association? The BAR was introduced in 1968, and since most people could not buy a 1918 BAR, this was a good substitute. The WW2/Korean War generation had very positive impressions about the 1918 BAR, so it was a natural tie-in. And yes, they are two entirely different rifles.

The Grand Prix is a formula car race in France. Why did GM name their boulevard blimp after a formula car race?

Lemmon
September 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
My uncle carried a BAR in WWII. He was scrawny little man but grabbed one when found and held on to it till the end of the War. He often praised it as an awesome weapon. In the early 70's when I started deer hunting, I bought a 30-06 Browning "BAR" and it was very accurate rifle.

I assume the "BAR" stands for Browning Automatic Rifle.......

My $ .02

Lemmon

ACP230
September 30, 2010, 09:51 PM
I've had a Grade II BAR since 1968.
It shot into an inch and an eighth at 100 yards for years with Remington 150 grain Core-Lokts and reloads with the same bullet. (Three shot groups).
Then I made some reloads a bit heavier. They shot groups of an inch at 100 yards. The BAR is a good rifle but a bit heavy to carry around all day.

I shot my first buck with that rifle, and a coyote and a bear years later.

younggun1
September 30, 2010, 09:59 PM
buy it!!!!! its al browning you can put it through anything and it'll run. is it scoped?? you'll do your self a favor if you buy it trust me, worse thing that will happen you'll have a new gun on the fireplace

ARDogman
October 1, 2010, 01:06 PM
I want to say that the BAR was made in 1967...not 68 as previously mentioned. I have one (60*M7.) They are a little different to break down completely, but once you do it once, you're golden. I wouldn't come into it expecting stellar accuracy, but 1.5-2" is good enough anyway. $450 is a great buy.