PDA

View Full Version : problems with 1849 Colt Pocket pistol

croaker
September 25, 2010, 01:00 AM
Hello! I'm new to this forum, and I have a question.
I just bought a Uberti Colt 1849 pocket pistol. It is a great shooter, but I have noticed that when I push the wedge in all the way, the cylinder locks up. If I leave it a bit "loose", it works fine. Also,about half the time when I cock it, the nipples don't line up with the hammer. Did I buy a lemon? Or, is there something I am doing wrong. Any advice will be appreciated... Thanks, Chuck

Doc Hoy
September 25, 2010, 02:53 AM
The wedge problem is not a problem. You will develop an understanding of how far the wedge needs to be pushed into the pistol for proper operation. Barrel to cylinder gap should be a little less than the thickness of a credit card. (Now I gotta go measure a credit card to see if that is really right. :) )

For the second problem read these articles:

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

They will give you an idea of why the cylinder is off. They don't address this specific pistol, but the concept is the same.

CajunPowder
September 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
Whoever wrote those articles is not only a gifted gunsmith and technician but is a gifted writer as well.

croaker
September 27, 2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks for those articles! Good information, very helpful...

Noz
September 27, 2010, 03:26 PM
The author is Larsen T. Pettifogger and he is and yes he is.

All of my match Piettas have the Pettifogger Conversion.

madcratebuilder
September 28, 2010, 08:07 AM
I just bought a Uberti Colt 1849 pocket pistol. It is a great shooter, but I have noticed that when I push the wedge in all the way, the cylinder locks up. If I leave it a bit "loose", it works fine.

Typical short arbor. Several diy ways of correcting this, from jb weld on the end of the arbor to making a spacer for the barrel lug arbor hole.

Use the 'search' function and you find several articles here on this problem with ways to repair.