PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 tactical accuracy

EM545
September 24, 2010, 11:07 PM
I have been wanting to get a mini 14 and I heard that the accuracy is not very good can someone please tell me how to improve the mini's accuracy using simple methods in detail please.

MisterWhite
September 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106

should give you plenty of ideas.

zombieslayer
September 24, 2010, 11:39 PM
Get the one with the flash hider. The shorter barrel is a help and it's thicker than 180 series Mini barrels.
I bought one and with iron sights, its as accurate as my AR's with irons. I love my Minis.

blume357
September 25, 2010, 04:47 AM
I agree... short tactical is the way to go.. you even get 20 round factory mags with it.

personally I'd stay away from the target model with the big old adjustable bulb thingy on the front.... but like the flash hider on the tactical model.

rduckwor
September 25, 2010, 07:42 AM
Flash hider, barrel strut, and trigger job - the three least expensive things that can be done to improve Mini 14 accuracy.

Good Luck,

Art Eatman
September 25, 2010, 08:15 AM
If tactical means self-defense around one's home, you don't have to do anything at all. Any Mini will hold minute-of-coconut inside of 100 yards.

Crosshair
September 25, 2010, 09:12 AM
With tactical shooting you won't notice any difference between the Mini and an AR, at least the new ones. (The old ones may vary.) The only time you will note a difference is when you bolt the gun to a bench.

sabo954
September 25, 2010, 02:39 PM
Mini is fine as a CQB carbine. Like Art said, it will more than do on accuracy. Definitely beats the AK on accuracy, cheaper than an AR, naturally accepts high cap magazines unlike the SKS, and more power and range than any pistol caliber carbine.

If you want more accuracy out of your Mini, there's the Accu-Strut, better front and rear sights and optics, muzzle brakes, and various assorted drop-in parts. Anything beyond that, you probably want to get a professional to do it. Also to beat a dead horse here, make sure the modifications you decide on are legal.

the rifleer
September 25, 2010, 03:03 PM
When people say the mini is not accurate, they mean that is is not a sub MOA competition rifle. Its still plenty accurate for what most people use it for. You can hit dinner plates at 300 yards with it, it just isn't going to put 10 rounds into a 1'' group at 100 yards.

It's not like a musket where you really don't know where its going to hit. It still has a rifled barrel and is going to shoot within an inch or two of where you aim at 100 yards. If you want a reliable semi auto .223 that is well made and plenty accurate for everything except competition target shooting, go ahead and buy it.

Huntergirl
September 25, 2010, 03:08 PM
Then I guess they souldn't be going for around $600. When ya think about an entry level AR, ie- saw the SW AR for $699 at CDNN and Buds, then I'm thinking the Mini14 is WAAAY overpriced. Its not exactly built like a tank or anything. Don't most LE use AR's these days? Must be a reason...

rtpzwms
September 25, 2010, 03:10 PM
I have a newer mini 30 and it does fine at 100 yards. But if you want one that is really accurate then look here (http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php). I think you can order one complete from the site shipped to your ffl...

DnPRK
September 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
Mini-14 is a nice $350 rifle. Too bad Ruger and most shops want $650+ for it.

Huntergirl
September 25, 2010, 03:21 PM
Eggsactly.

Bamashooter
September 25, 2010, 04:26 PM
my 580 series with standard barrel will shoot moa all day. all ive done was add an accustrut, retorqued the gas block, trigger job, and wilson combat recoil buffers. i can shoot slightly under or slightly over moa depending on ammo. it shoots 60gr. sierra varmiters the best. i also have good luck with 69gr. sierra smk. personally, i think its a better rifle than a entry level AR, its more reliable and more accurate. the upgrades ive done anyone can do, and its wasnt very expensive. i dont know why ruger isnt willing to make them better but it isnt that hard to squeeze a little more accuracy out of a mini.

blume357
September 26, 2010, 06:39 AM
I like shooting my ARs... I gave my AK away and the SKS have been stored for years.... but when ever I pull out one of my minis they just feel better.... you pay for quality also.

If you want to shoot a rifle strapped to a bench then get a bolt one.

rduckwor
September 26, 2010, 08:04 AM
If you want to shoot a rifle strapped to a bench then get a bolt one.

+1

If you want a fun rifle, get a Mini. The sound of that action clattering closed makes me smile.

Mannlicher
September 26, 2010, 09:27 AM
I have read good things about how the Amega mount system really helps with accuracy.

http://www.amegaranges.com/

stubbicatt
September 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Get what you like and enjoy it.

I have a buddy who shoots a 1970s or 80s vintage mini at prairie dogs and has no difficulty hitting what he shoots at.

One of these days I will get a mini. It may be awhile, but I will get one someday.

sabo954
September 26, 2010, 05:19 PM
Then I guess they souldn't be going for around $600. When ya think about an entry level AR, ie- saw the SW AR for $699 at CDNN and Buds, then I'm thinking the Mini14 is WAAAY overpriced. Its not exactly built like a tank or anything. Don't most LE use AR's these days? Must be a reason...

Huntergirl, I've heard it said repeatedly that with ARs you get what you pay for. My experience with ARs being limited, I'm not sure or not whether that holds true. However, I have heard complaints about bottom-of-the-barrel ARs, and if they are true, then in theory a NIB $600 Mini should be better than a $700 AR. In my experience with Minis, mostly with my Mini-30 (180 series, bought thoroughly used for $380), the only real problems I encountered were finding good high-capacity mags, and a bad batch of Wolf ammo. The Mini-14 I shot wasn't mine, so all I know how it performed that day, which was without any problems whatsoever.

WeedWacker
September 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
My recent AR build:
Stripped Lower - $150
Del-ton rifle kit - $450
Total price -$600

Mini-14: $600-$700

Ignition Override
September 26, 2010, 11:38 PM
EM545:
If you belong to a club, $600 can also buy you a nice CMP Service Grade M-1 Garand (from the mid-50s) with a very bright bore. The Garand has some very nice aperture sights, and reloading can reduce ammo costs.

Are the newer Minis built with improved front post sights?
My ('03-04?) Mini 30 is all original and really enjoy it. Somebody advised that adding a flash hider provides a thinner post.

Art Eatman
September 27, 2010, 07:16 AM
Looks like folks are more interested in other things besides the OP's question...