PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand good for hunting?

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 02:33 AM
Any game that a M1Garand with target sights would be good for?

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 03:14 AM
.30-06 Springfield

pbratton
September 24, 2010, 08:04 AM
It feels like you answered your own question there.

It's a .30-06, it can be used for game you'd normally consider a .30-06 for...

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 08:07 AM
I'm green when it comes to hunting, i dont know if that is too powerful for a deer or not?

hardworker
September 24, 2010, 08:24 AM
30-06 is a pretty standard deer cartridge. But you should check your local laws since some places have restrictions on how much ammo a semi auto rifle can hold.

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 08:27 AM
I live in southern california so it probably is. I'll just stick to my .22 and hunt wabbits. I have my garand but i have no blocs or any rounds. And i was looking to get a Kar98 or a mosin nagant but 7.62 is probably illegal also.

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 08:28 AM
Sorry misread your post. Im not sure how many rounds are legal, probably not many, i live in a densly populated area.

Slamfire
September 24, 2010, 08:34 AM
If you plan to use your Garand for hunting you are best off looking for 30-06 ammunition that can be used in a Garand.

Hornady makes a 168 AMAX that should be just fantastic in a Garand.

http://www.hornady.com/in-the-news/latest-news/new-30-06-m1-garand-match-ammunition-from-hornady

Your Garand became a service rifle in 1936. Military ammunition pressures were not to exceed 50,000 psia and had to meet a port pressure. The typical 150 grain bullet moved around 2700 fps. In today's "everything a magnum" world this is pretty mild stuff. Highper pressure ammunition will overaccelerate the operating rod leading to a lot of banging and slamming, beating up your rifle and I have seen malfunctions due to commercial ammo.

Like any other iron sighted rifle your daylight time is somewhat less than a scope.

pesta2
September 24, 2010, 08:38 AM
Depending on local laws, you need to check how much ammunition you can have in the gun. You might have to order and en-block clip that holds fewer rounds than the usual 8 such as a 2 round.

Oh and the deer will know when you are out of ammunition “Ping!”:p

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 08:39 AM
See i am a fresh out of highschool bored individual, i havent the faintest idea of what round to use ex. hollow point. I dont want to annihilate the deer i just want to knock it on its ass and crack his spine.

zxcvbob
September 24, 2010, 08:42 AM
It will work great if it's legal in your area. (you might need to get some special 5-round or 2-round clips.) And you probably need to reload for it unless you've added an adjustable gas port. Use a faster-burning powder (like AA-2495) that normal for a .30-06 so you don't damage the op-rod, and a 150 to 168 grain hunting bullet, and you should be good to go.

Or get some milsurp .30-06 ammo, pull the bullets, replace them with hunting bullets and use the original powder and primer (look up "Mexican Match" ammo)

Sport45
September 24, 2010, 09:15 AM
The biggest problem I see using a M1 for hunting is the sights. For my eyes anyway, irons might be okay for hunting over an open field. I wouldn't want to use them on an animal that's as well camoflaged as a deer if there's any brush obstructing a clear view. It's a lot easier to focus on the front sight and hold center of a black dot on a white background than it is to hold in the kill zone of a brown deer in a hay meadow.

I'm not saying it can't (or shouldn't) be done, just that I wouldn't do it.

MLeake
September 24, 2010, 09:17 AM
As others have noted, it's a .30-06, and will work fine on deer.

Also, as previously noted, you will either need to find ammo loaded to Garand specs, or else trade the gas ports out for ones designed for modern pressures.

You can get lower capacity clips from various sources. I bought some a while back, I think from Brownell's.

However, the Garand is HEAVY. If you are going to ride your ATV to a tree-stand, that's not a big deal. If you are going to hike in, just bear in mind that most hunting rifles are 2-3lbs lighter than a Garand.

If it's the only rifle you have, then I'd just find ammo suitable for Garand use. I don't see the point in having a piece of history, and then modifying the action, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers,

M

(Happy owner of an unmodified Springfield Correct Grade M1 Garand)

BombthePeasants
September 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
I, for one, will be using one of my M1's for deer hunting this fall. I have loaded 168gr. Hornady A-MAX bullets. I'm pumped! I don't have a long walk to the stand, so the weight won't be a problem. Plus, there's no magazine capacity issues here in TX.

Poodleshooter
September 24, 2010, 10:11 AM
The sights are a problem. The same small peep that makes the Garand such a great target shooter at the range makes for a very,very dim low light picture when hunting. As mentioned by another poster above, it's also harder to resolve an aiming point on a shadowed or partially obstructed target at a distance. Open plains hunting would probably not suffer under these conditions,but woods hunting and hunting near dusk or dawn will be a problem.
There's a reason most deer rifles have had scopes on them for the past 30+ years.

Rifleman1776
September 24, 2010, 10:17 AM
I have personal concerns about semi-autos being used for hunting. With another round instantly ready to go, there is always a chance of making adrenaline hyped bad decisions. This is especially true for a novice hunter. The Garand, no doubt, would make an OK hunting rifle within limitations noted.
BTW, I have never heard of limits on number of rounds that can be carried in a hunting rifle. Crummy infringement, IMHO.
I have seen guys with banana clips full of ammo on AR type rifles. That, again, IMHO, is nutty. But legal in Arkansas, at least.
xMaverik, if your budget can handle it, I suggest you shop for another rifle.

TheGoldenState
September 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
7.62 is probably illegal also.

No it is not.

TheGoldenState
September 24, 2010, 10:26 AM
I have personal concerns about semi-autos being used for hunting. With another round instantly ready to go, there is always a chance of making adrenaline hyped bad decisions. This is especially true for a novice hunter

What are those concerns? Not disagreeing or being an antagonist, just curious.

kraigwy
September 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
A ton of deer have been killed with an open sight 30-30 Lever Rifle.

M1's have open sights that are a heck of a lot better then the sights on most Lever Guns.

A ton of deer have been killed with the 30-30 Win Round.

The M1 shoots an '06 round, same 30 cal but with a lot more umph. Don't load hot. 150 -165 grn bullets loaded about 2600-2700 wont hurt the Garand yet is more powerful then any 30-30 I've seen.

Something not normally covered in using iron sighted vintage service rifle while hunting:

The Front sight on a M1 (assuming it hasn't been changed) can be used as a range finder. (lets assume the heart area of the deer is 12 inches in diameter). The front post of the M1 is 6.5 MOA, or covers 6 1/2 inches at 100 yards. Now if we are looking at a deer over the front sight, and the front sight covers the full one foot heart area, then you are about 200 yards away, if it covers twice the heart area, or the front have of the deer's body, they you are between 3-400 yards). If it covers half the area, then you are about 100 yards.

Try it, it works, if you want to use the iron sights of a service rifle (M1A, M1, Mosin, etc). get one of those bow hunting deer targets, Set it up at different ranges and practicing range estimations. With a bit of practice, you can get just as accurate, and be faster then using Mill Dots or Laser Range finders.

When I was running sniper schools using the M1C/Ds, we didn't have Mil Dots and Laser Range Finders. So we did a lot of work using the post of the M-84 scope and the front sight of the M1, you can get pretty good with it.

You sight the M1 in at 200 yards, then you can pretty much hold dead on for any normal deer hunting range, but if you want to get fancy, there isn't much out there faster then adjusting the elevation knobs on a M1/M14 rifle.

Edit for correction: the 13 inches at 200 yards is wrong, I was thinking of the 10-X ring on the 200 yard target. The total black is 19 inches. The front post on a standard M1/M14 is .073 or 7.3 inches at 100 yards.

To simply it, .001 front sight equals 1 MOA. Measure your front sight, multiply that times 100 and it will give you the width at 100 yards.

longranger
September 24, 2010, 11:10 AM
I, for one, will be using one of my M1's for deer hunting this fall. I have loaded 168gr. Hornady A-MAX bullets

The A-Max bullet is not designed to be a hunting bullet it is a target bullet.Use the same weight in a bullet desinged for hunting.:(

44 AMP
September 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
Also note that the GI FMJ ammo (what the Garand is designed to eat) is generally prohibited for game hunting. Use a soft point/expanding type bullet. Target bullets (because they are typically not FMJ) are not prohibited, BUT they do not perform as well after they hit. A hit that puts the deer down with a hunting bullet might not do so with a target bullet, leaving you with a wounded deer to track.

Target bullets will kill. No question. But they are not a good choice for hunting game.

JIMSPD9
September 24, 2010, 02:29 PM
I hunted with a Remington Mod 700 in 30-06 for years. The 06 will definately bring down a deer. However as ammo became more and more developed, bullets expanded more. More damage was done to the meat. A blood shot shoulder rendered 1/4 and more of the animal usless. I hate waste. I started taking a neck shots if possible since neck meat( minus the damaged tissue) ended up in the sausage pan. The kill is just as quick.

Most states allow no more than 5 shots in a mag (rifle or shotgun) so an 8 count clip in the Garand is fudging a bit. Since I hunt on my own land and havent seen a game warden here in 15 yrs, the answer to your question is. "If I had a Garand I would hunt with it for sure."

Jim S.

Ps: What in the holy bejesus is a banna clip???????? Iv'e never seen one myself. There are stripper clips for old mauser actions and an 8 rnd clip in the Garand. Sounds a little Hollywoody or something a distinguished Congress person would utter on the floor. Everything else is a MAGAZINE.

1911Mann
September 24, 2010, 03:08 PM
Shifty Powers killed deer with his in Austria (may he rest in peace). If it was good enough for Shifty, then it's good enough for me.

I killed my first buck with an M1A, Win. Silver Tip 168 gr. bullet. I had a 10rd mag (legal in Texas). If you're hunting with a Garand, use a jacketed soft point, or ballistic tip. They fly straighter than hollow points.

Aim just behind the front shoulder about half way between belly and back. If you hit the front shoulder, you won't have to track them as far, but a good heart-lung shot will get you meat.

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 03:10 PM
What if i purchase a M84 scope for the M1 garand?

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 03:11 PM
what about spine shots? or if its a doe what about a head shot?

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 03:18 PM
I heard that the M1garand can take BAR magazines. Is that a specific model?

dahermit
September 24, 2010, 03:22 PM
In Michigan (I do not know about other states), it is illegal to use a semi-automatic rifle that holds more than five rounds. Fortunately, for those inclined to hunt with an M1 Garand, there are 5-round en-bloc clips that are offered for sale, and some people have modified the 8-rounders into five rounders. I also handled a Garand that had the gas system removed making it into a straight pull bolt action...a travesty of butchery!

dahermit
September 24, 2010, 03:26 PM
I heard that the M1garand can take BAR magazines. Is that a specific model? Incorrect. Someone may be confusing an M1 Garand with an M1A, which is a civilian copy of the M14 that utilizes a 20 round magazine. As to a BAR magazine fitting an M14, I would not know inasmuch as I was trained with an M1, not M14.

Jim Watson
September 24, 2010, 03:26 PM
You are overthinking it.
As already said, a Garand is .30-06 which has been used to hunt everything from groundhogs to bears with few complaints.
Any name brand 150 grain softpoint bullet from Walmart will do just fine on deer. I know a couple of hunters who think Remington Corelokt is the thing to have. Shoot some to be sure they will run through the action.

Most game laws limit you to 5 shots in the magazine. No problem, there are 5 shot hunting clips made for the purpose.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=759224

Of course you will need to read up on the regulations to see where and when you may hunt deer and you must have a hunting license. You are young, you will probably have to take a hunter safety course.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/

The Garand does not take BAR magazines, it has an internal magazine which is loaded with 8-round enbloc clips. Or 5 for hunting, see link above.
Do you have a Garand? Have you shot, handled, or SEEN a Garand?
Lots of opportunity for study here, it looks like.

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
Obviously i have a garand. I was just wondering because i saw it in a photo somewhere of it having a BAR clip in the bottom. I told you im a rookie hunter all i know is my .22 rifle. my dad has the M1 and i wanted to use it for hunting.

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
T20 Garand variant; select-fire conversion by John Garand, capable of using BAR magazines.

BombthePeasants
September 24, 2010, 03:44 PM
As to the poster/posters who object to the use of the Hornady A-MAX bullet, the 7th edition of the Hornady Reloading Manual lists the bullet as being suitable for target shooting, light game, and medium game. Also, the exact same bullet, but loaded in 7.5x55 Swiss, got my deer last year, so if it's good enough for Hornady, it's good enough for me. Please keep in mind Texas whitetail are not much bigger than a large dog, I'm not hunting mastodons here...

Jim Watson
September 24, 2010, 03:51 PM
Yes, but, selective fire weapons are heavily restricted in the USA and moreso in California.
I don't know if there are any T20s legally in private hands. If so we are talking about the price of a new Corvette.
Or a Ferrari, I found an article that said the T20E2s were converted to T36 and T37 rifles for the T65 (.308) cartridge; granddaddies of the M14.

TX Hunter
September 24, 2010, 04:13 PM
If I am not mistaken the M1 Garand is legal in California, I would check game laws though.
With the issue sights It would work well for hunting deer at close range.
A little hard to aim accurately in dim light, but not impossible.
The 3006 cartridge is one of the most popular deer hunting rounds ever made.
Good luck.

Rifleman1776
September 24, 2010, 04:18 PM
What are those concerns? Not disagreeing or being an antagonist, just curious

thegoldenstate, my concern, in a word, is safety. Not everyone is safety conscious or has presence of mind in a high adrenaline situation. I know you and I would never make a misteak but some others are not so perfect.
As soon as a shot is fired with a semi-auto another is ready to go instantly. That is inherently dangerous. The original writer in this thread indicates he is not experienced with either hunting or firearms. In his case, I would recommend a manually operated rifle. e.g. lever, bolt action, etc.
It is a personal opinion that semi-autos have no place in a hunting situation.
Please, everyone, don't get on me about 2ndA. You won't find many that are as strong a supporter of the 2nd A as I am. It is just a personal safety concern of mine.
BTW, my modern hunting arms are a Win. bolt action '06 and a Rem. 870 12 ga. Bolt and pump.
For small game I take a flintlock rifle or flintlock smooth bore.
I have a semi-auto Ruger 10/22 at the backdoor for critter duty. And a couple pocket SAs for the other kind of critters.

xMaverick
September 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
Not in-experienced with guns. Just never hunted.

zxcvbob
September 24, 2010, 04:33 PM
If you remove the gas plug, does that turn an M1 into a straight-pull bolt action? Or is that a stupid idea? It could also use any commercial .30-06 hunting ammo without worrying about the op-rod. (I'm just not familiar enough with it to know if it will even fire without any plug -- maybe it at least needs a bushing)

Saint Dennis
September 24, 2010, 05:18 PM
Wow, I don't follow some of the logic on this post. If that is the rifle you have and want to go hunting deer, have at it young sir. You best check if the Republik of Kalifornia will allow it, but there is no reason besides that that you can't or shouldn't hunt deer with a Garand. It's heavy, but It sounds as if you are a young buck and that shouldn't slow you down. Good luck, I hope you get a nice one. Use expanding ammunition that is recommended for a Garand. The gentlemen at a good sporting good stores should be able to help you out. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt deer with mine if that was my only choice.

Skans
September 24, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'll be the odd guy out - there are much better choices for hunting than the Garand. I don't like how scopes are generally mounted to the Garand. Its also too heavy, IMHO.

davlandrum
September 24, 2010, 05:39 PM
Have you attended a Hunter Safety Course? Even if it is not a requirement, it would answer most of your questions. And I can't believe it is not a requirement in Cali.

p99guy
September 24, 2010, 06:31 PM
I don't get your preoccupation with spine mutilation and head shots..this isnt Doom on playstation. Those aiming points are begging for a miss unless you have it tied to a post, eating from a bucket. You have not even shot your dad's M1
If I read your post right...I would get some range time in before you attempt anything with it.

As far as it being too heavy at 9.5 pounds? Most folks AR15 carbines with all the tacticool do-dads weigh that, if not more! To think all those guys carried them all over the world 60 years ago with 30-90pounds strapped on thier back as well-
and several posters cant even possibly walk around with a 9.5 pound rifle- well boys hand in your man cards,ya jackwagons.

Rifleman...you need the same educating Jim Zumbo got lol, the fudd is strong in you.(it was in him too)

HunterGuy
September 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
30-06 comes in so many different grains you can hunt ANYTHING in north america with that calibre.

The Garand is a bit to heavy to lug around in the field, and doesn't quite have the range an optics rifle using the same calibre has.

In my opinion, no, it is not a good hunting rifle.

p99guy
September 24, 2010, 06:46 PM
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/296/mancard.png (http://img830.imageshack.us/i/mancard.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

kraigwy
September 24, 2010, 07:10 PM
Neither the M1 or M14/M1A will take a BAR Mag. There have been some Garands converted to take a M14 Mag, but they were also converted to fire 308s.

The BAR of course was '06.

arizona98tj
September 24, 2010, 08:14 PM
I've done both a neck and head shos.....neither deer ran....just stumbled, went to the ground, end of story.

Sport45
September 24, 2010, 09:15 PM
If you remove the gas plug, does that turn an M1 into a straight-pull bolt action?

It would certainly inhibit the automatic feed function. I wouldn't do it though, since the gas plug secures the gas cylinder (and front sight) to the gas cylinder lock. Without it, the gas cylinder lock is free to unscrew.

MLeake
September 24, 2010, 09:22 PM
... but as he said, the BAR was .30-06, while the M1A was .308, so no dice.

With regard to the Garand, a friend of mine who competes in long-range rifle has converted one of his M1 Garands to .308. He can reload a clip faster from prone than he can a magazine, and he finds the .308 better suited to his courses of fire.

To say he's extremely into his sport would be putting it lightly.

HunterGuy
September 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
I too do not think a semi-automatic rifle has any place in hunting.

First off, hunting with a rifle you do not shoot at moving targets the majority of the time.

Second, if you miss your first shot on a game and they take off running you shouldn't risk a second shot due to the risk of just wounding the animal and never finding it.

Third, if you do take 2nd or 3rd shots it is only b/c you have already hit it with the fist shot and you are attempting to finish it off.

I see no advantage with a semi-automatic compared to a bolt action in the above scenarios. Automatics only promote poorly aimed recurring shots.

Edit: I will and do use a semi-automatic for prairie dog hunting though, they are just to darn stupid to run after you missed or even killed one of their buddies.

zxcvbob
September 24, 2010, 10:11 PM
It would certainly inhibit the automatic feed function. I wouldn't do it though, since the gas plug secures the gas cylinder (and front sight) to the gas cylinder lock. Without it, the gas cylinder lock is free to unscrew.I thought that might be the case -- or at least something like that. But you could get a spare cylinder lock screw (gas plug) from Brownells for $13 and drill a good-sized hole in the center. Then you could shoot any ammo you want.

trooper3385
September 24, 2010, 10:13 PM
It performed pretty well when it was used to hunt Nazi's

SSA
September 24, 2010, 10:15 PM
XMaverick, if you have a run-of-the-mill Garand, and want to take it hunting, and it's legal in your area, then do it. That would be a great thing to do. Just get some hunting ammo and sight it in.
First, though, find out what you have. Find out for sure. If you have a rare Garand that never saw duty, you might just want to insure the hell out of it and put it in a safe.

lefteyedom
September 24, 2010, 10:42 PM
Yes you can hunt deer and Elk with an M1. It is 30.06.

I do not mean this as an insult we all started somewhere, the questions you are asking are self evident that you are not ready to hunt with a Garand.

Any modern commercial bolt action rifle (in good condition) in 270win/30.06 with 3x9 scope would be a better hunting rifle for someone that has not been indoctrinated on the care, feeding and love of John C Garand's baby

Great questions! I am glad you are asking them here.

Take a hunter safety class if you have not already. Find someone or a gun range were you can get some hands on training, Both in weapons handling but just as importantly gain an understanding of what a high power rifle cartridge can do and what it can not.

Nothing will make you sicker than to come across a live deer with it's jaw shot off. Shot placement is everything. Therefore use the tool (rifle & scope) that will help you do this. You the hunter owe it to the game.

jimbob86
September 24, 2010, 10:50 PM
HunterGuy

Posts: 12 I too do not think a semi-automatic rifle has any place in hunting.

The Fudd is strong in this one, too!

I tell you what: You hunt with what you want, and let everybody else hunt with what they want, so long as it does not violate any game laws.
Welcome to the forum, Hunterguy.

An M-1 stoked with 150 to 168 gr soft-pointed bullets loaded to 2600 f/sec would be more than adequate for deer. The existing iron sights should be more than adequate. Practice until you can hit a paper plate consistently- the farthest distance you can hit that plate is the farthest you should be shooting at a deer.

As for a 10 lb. rifle being too heavy to carry to a deer stand: Ruck up you wussies! 65 years ago, 1/2 million men had just traipsed from England to the Oder carrying those rifles, along with a basic load of 80 rounds of ammo and 30+ lbs of other stuff....

lefteyedom
September 24, 2010, 11:06 PM
I see no advantage with a semi-automatic compared to a bolt action in the above scenarios. Automatics only promote poorly aimed recurring shots.

IT IS POOR TRAINING AND WEAK MORAL FIBER not Automatics that promote poorly aimed recurring shots,:mad:

Ignition Override
September 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
xMaverick:
As for California, if you type into Youtube: "420 yards", a very skilled guy uses more than a few military semi-auto rifles at a range in south. CA called "A Place To Shoot".

Unrelated, but you might spot the link to his really fine shooting using iron sights at about 800 yards, with a German Mauser.

Hook686
September 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
Check the California hunting regulations. A simple email to Fish & Game ought answer your question. While I do not believe California has a restriction on the number of cartriges in the magazine of a semiauto hunting rifle, California does have the ten round maximum magazine law on the books. So I would think 8 rounds in the Garand clip ought be OK, but check with Fish & Game.

Old Grump
September 25, 2010, 02:53 AM
Your Garand is legal, Your 8 round enbloc clip is legal, you must take the hunter safety course which is about $41. You have to apply for the area you want to hunt and they hold a drawing to restrict the number of hunters in any one area at a time. If you are going to be hunting in a Condor area you have to use lead free ammo. Your season has already started so I think you missed the boat for this year except for small game and birds. A unmodified M1 will need low pressure ammo specifically for the M1. California specifically states you must use soft point expanding ammo so I am not sure the Amax will be legal for you because it is a fragmenting bullet not a expanding bullet. You want something like the Remington copper solid. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/58373-5.html
I'm using my M1 Garand myself this year just for old times sake, last time I hunted with it was in 1972 and I'm not sure how much longer I will be able to cart it around. I have 165 grain hand loads and the Hornady 168 gr commercial loads. Ordinarily I use a single shot rifle or a revolver but this year I just want to do something different. I'll probably use my hand loads because its a Remington Core Lokt bullet and I like it.

MLeake
September 25, 2010, 05:09 AM
... is an amusing mental image.

The thing is, a battle rifle requires a mit more durability than does a hunting rifle, and as a result, tends to be heavier. Hunting rifles don't need to be able to handle bayonets, and aren't expected to be used as impromptu clubs.

This is why most "sporterized" prior military rifles are shortened and lightened.

Since the OP is a new hunter, I'm assuming he may not be that outdoorsy, and may not understand how much walking with gear may be involved. He could be an IronMan competitor for all I know, but the bulk of the US populace wouldn't fit that description.

Once upon a time, I had to run 5 miles with an M1 at port arms as part of a graduation week. It's certainly manageable, and yes our WWII and Korea vets humped the things everywhere.

But it is noticeably heavier than typical hunting rifles.

(That said, I am very likely to use mine this season.)

Cheers,

M

Sport45
September 25, 2010, 07:30 AM
Practice until you can hit a paper plate consistently- the farthest distance you can hit that plate is the farthest you should be shooting at a deer.

A paper plate is a good size target for practice. Just keep in mind that deer aren't normally sporting bright-white aiming circles. Practice with a paper plate that's coffee stained or painted a shade of tan that's just darker or lighter than the background. In the early morning or near-sunset hours....

I have my garand but i have no blocs or any rounds.

If this is still the case shoot me a PM. I can set you up with a few en-bloc clips.

Kmar40
September 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
The Fudd is strong in this one, too!
Sometimes we're our own worst enemies.

mavracer
September 25, 2010, 08:56 AM
I thought that might be the case -- or at least something like that. But you could get a spare cylinder lock screw (gas plug) from Brownells for $13 and drill a good-sized hole in the center. Then you could shoot any ammo you want.

Better yet buy a schuster adjustable gas plug and you can just back the adj. to make it a single shot.this has the added benafit of allowing you to tune it to modern hunting ammo and not bend the OP rod.

to those that say autoloaders have no place hunting.I watched a "former" hunting partner empty his bolt gun at a deer at 250 yards of course the last four were running shots at an ever increasing distance.as soon as it was empty he starts digging in his pocket to try a 600 yard running shot I guess.

Hunting ethics as does Safety in general has NOTHING to do with the firearm.

WeedWacker
September 25, 2010, 09:03 AM
It performed pretty well when it was used to hunt Nazi's

then again the GI's weren't interested in eating them either. That being said I would rather carry my howa M1500 up and down the mountains of Idaho than my Yugo M59/66. Yes, I did that, and no, I didn't get anything. :mad: And with the kind of cover and ranges I hunt in I think I will stick to my .30-30 for a while now. It's easier to pack around in thick brush than the .308 Howa.

ETA: Meant to add: Maverick, make sure that whatever cover you hunt in is conducive to your choice of firearm. A marlin 336 can be had for 400-500 if you get gouged. If it's in Kali it might be higher (I got mine used for 330-350) and when comparing it side by side with a Garand I would pick the 336: No enblock clips so ammo can be loose or in a bandoleer; slimmer profile; shorter; lighter; almost looks better too. They both have wood so lookswise I can't pick between the two :p

hooligan1
September 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
It,s a 3006, and that killem stone dead!! fast follow-up just in case, a little heavy unless that's no concern, then by all means, anything on this continent can be handled by the old 3006.;)

dmazur
September 25, 2010, 11:30 AM
What if i purchase a M84 scope for the M1 garand?

Read this -

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1D_M84.htm

It covers the problem of the M84 scope and its mount. Basically, you need a modified barrel for the other half of the M84 mount. The Garand M1D's were made this way, but the typical M1 was not.

There are "offset" scope mounts available (such as the S&K) or you can non-destructively replace the rear handguard with a "scout mount" that would use a modern IER scope.

As to clip capacity and hunting regs, there are 5rd clips available for very low cost to handle that concern.

chris in va
September 25, 2010, 12:46 PM
Take a hunter safety course before you try to hunt with that Garand. Lots of info you'd never figure out on your own.

jimbob86
September 25, 2010, 12:56 PM
One point I'd like to make regarding the weight of the Garand: All that weight, combined w/ the gas operated action, make the recoil of a 30-06 a non-issue. And carrying it around will tone up your upper body muscles, making recoil even more manageable.

Sport45
September 25, 2010, 02:37 PM
What weight? I filled the holes in the buttstock of mine with lead to get the weight up bit.

Flatbush Harry
September 25, 2010, 04:13 PM
M1s have been used for hunting for years. IMHO (I own 4), I think that they are too heavy to lug around if you're stalking.

That said, for an ethical hunter, you'll want to use an expanding bullet on deer (I've recently developed a liking for Barnes TSX bullets for hunting applications). Also the propellant and load may be less than ideal for the M1's very specific pressure curve requirements. These requirements can be easily accomplished with a Schuster or McCann adjustable gas plug. Indeed, purchasing a two- or five-round sled clip for the M1 can limit your ammo to legal requirements for your chosen hunting area. If you attempt to use M2 ball equivalent (150gr FMJ), the bullets will not expand...if you attempt to use a standard hunting load, you may learn a new way to disassemble your Garand, one not recommended.

I might choose to use a 5-round sled with a good hunting load, setting the adjustable gas plug wide open to transform the M1 into a single shot, straight-pull bolt action were I to use one for hunting. For roughly $100, you can buy a forward scope base to replace the rear hand guard; this will allow the addition of a scout scope.

As to the poster who said he was going to use the Hornady 168 gr A-MAX bullet, please rethink that idea. The A-MAX is a match target bullet, not a hunting bullet. The Hornady line has wonderful hunting bullets (I've used GMXs)...take the approach I noted above. BTW, I love the A-Max 168gr bullet and use it in my match handloads. BTW, the weight and semi-auto action don't trouble me for hunting, but the required accuracy for the military was 3-4 MOA...mine are 2-3 MOA shooters with M2 Ball and 2 MOA shooters with Hornady match.

FH

Flatbush Harry
September 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
Apologies...I had only scanned the first page when I posted. Having re-read the entire thread, I was redundant.

I would observe, however, that you got very good advice to take a hunter safety training course. I would also suggest you become familiar and practice a good bit with the M1 Garand before using it for field use. Finally, I'm a big believer in appropriate and accurate shot placement. I would not regard "knocking the deer on its ass and breaking its spine" as a useful targeting approach.

FH

NWPilgrim
September 25, 2010, 09:13 PM
Plenty of experienced hunters hunt with semis like the Remington 740/7400 and Browning BAR. Training and practice are more important than rifle action.

The worst encounter I had in the woods was a woman blasting away with her Win94 like it was a M60. And most of the stories I hear of hunters killing innocents or each other are one shot with a bolt action and scope. The bolt action did not transfer an ounce of common sense into them, nor have I seen a semi instill spray and pray in a hunter.

I personally prefer a bolt action but I can understand if another hunter prefers a semi, pump, lever or single shot.

dahermit
September 26, 2010, 04:17 AM
...I might choose to use a 5-round sled with a good hunting load, ...SLED = Single Load Enable Device. A SLED is not a five round en block clip. It is a device used by M1 Garand target shooters when they wish to single load rounds during the slow fire stage.