PDA

View Full Version : Best Ar-15 muzzle break?

DubC-Thompson
September 23, 2010, 09:28 PM
In your opinion whats the best ar-15 muzzle break/compensator?
-Thanks

zombieslayer
September 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
All I've ever had are the factory bird-cage type flash hiders . But my favorite muzzle brake design is the ak74 style. They can be purchased for AR's. I put one on my AK and it made a difference, smoothing out some of the muzzle rise. Overall, it shot better and was easier to make quick follow-up shots. I've been curious about what muzzle attatchments people on here are running also.

c_jackson
September 23, 2010, 10:40 PM
I'd have to say the AK-74 style brake. This small but important design reduces muzzle rise by 80-90% and allows the shooter to constantly stay on target despite "bump" or automatic fire. I spent a rather enjoyable afternoon and over 500 rounds (Federal 55 grain target rounds from Wal-Mart) marveling at this thing's capability. It checks in at $60 to $80, depending on where you order it or buy it, easily installs with a crush or peel washer and times almost instantly if you know what you're doing (heck, just line the gas ports up). While I have an uncrowned muzzle on my Bushmaster barrel #2, I've gone an extra mile and had this accessory fitted and pinned to my existing rifle. It's good to go in my book and I'd recommend it to all whom wish to try it. Small historical note: I've heard it was an American innovation in 1972, rejected by the DOD and tossed on the "thanks but no thanks" pile so the designer sold it to a Nation in the Soviet bloc, had it picked up from there and ended up on the AK-74 rifle. While the story remains speculation, had Armalite and Colt given this piece of technology its due, it could have very well ended up gracing the M-16 instead of being folded into the enemy's arsenal!

At the time of this posting, Zombieslayer's response wasn't shown. Sorry, mate, but I'm with you. My vote's still the same.

zombieslayer
September 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
That's cool, glad you've tried one on an AR. It is an awesome design. I'm going to get one for my new Maadi. After reading your post though, I may have to put one on one of my AR's as well.

Zak Smith
September 24, 2010, 01:16 AM
3Gun shooters have motivation to choose a brake that has good performance, that is, reduces recoil, muzzle rise, and generally helps to keep the sight picture on target through recoil. The generic AK brakes are not used. The most popular types are the JP BC comp, the MSTN QC comp, and others of that general type.

kraigwy
September 24, 2010, 01:34 AM
Best muzzle brakes are the three prong type of the early A1s. Never can tell when you might need to cut the wires off c-rat cases.:D

oldcspsarge
September 25, 2010, 09:08 PM
http://www.hollandguns.com/

The most efficient muzzle brake for an Ar is made by Holland's.

ZERO muzzle rise, watch bullet strike thru your scope.

tirod
September 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
There is no best, just what works better for you:

Black River Covert: http://www.blackrivertactical.com/product.html

Battle Comp: http://battlecomp.com/

Levang comp, sold by Brownells and others: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=13016/pid=5594/sku/Levang_Linear_Compensator?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c745_a_7c231015022_d_231015022_d_789

Good luck with that.

lmccrock
September 26, 2010, 06:47 AM
I like the Rolling Thunder comp for 3gun, but they don't call it "Rolling Thunder" for nothing (it is loud for bystanders and range officers). It is very effective at reducing felt recoil. 223 does not have much, but the crosshairs do not lift with this comp.

Lee

tirod
September 26, 2010, 08:12 AM
Not to forget: it's a B-r-a-k-e, not break. But that's the English language for you.

In technical respects, the side exhausting brakes aren't leading edge anymore, as the whole point is not only to reduce recoil, but also direct the noise. And from what I gather from range and competition shooters, the side exhausting brakes are starting to get a lot of negative feedback because there are front directing brakes that are just as good if not better. If you are in the adjacent lane, double the sound protection is needed, and it's still jarring. I see getting one to bother fellow shooters in competition might be dimly viewed in the future.

Plus the whole point is whether you are shooting rapid doubles or triples and actually need the reduced recoil. It's a AR in a low recoil intermediate cartridge, there's no real gain for the money spent for hunters or others. Noise direction, sure, and that's essentially the interest I have.

If it substantially reduces the perceived "ping" on my eardrums hunting - which might amount to one shot the entire week - great. But I'm using the baseline price of $8 for the GI version as the measuring stick. $150 brakes should serve me breakfast in bed. The engineering analysis might be justified, but the brakes really all cost about the same when CNC machined. Again, the milspec version is $8 retail. It's been said before, the difference between a $50 brake and $150 won't get you 2X more recoil reduction. More like 10%.

Hmac
September 26, 2010, 09:18 AM
In the AR community, generally, the top three brakes for the AR15/M16 platform are the KAC Triple Tap, the Battle Comp, and the PWS FSC556. The KAC and the Battle Comp control muzzle rise about equally - the FSC556 not bad but a little less. OTOH, the FSC556 comes with some pretty impressive blast and noise. The KAC and Battle Comp are both only a little louder or blastier than a standard A2 flash hider. I'd call the KAC and Battle Comp about equal except that the KAC is $435 while the Battle Comp is $150. The FSC556 is cheaper at $99, but it's not quite the equal of the other two, certainly a lot noisier, and I could never recommend PWS because of my experience with their customer service.

IMHO

wnycollector
September 26, 2010, 02:50 PM
I got back from my local range about an hour ago. I was two lanes down from a guy shooting a 16" w/ a DPMS Miculek Muzzle Brake. It was loud and annoying beyond words...but man there was no muzzle rise.

Last fall I had the pleasure of shooting an AR with a bushmaster ak-74 break. Very sweet, it was not as loud as the miculek brake today plus it eliminated muzzle rise. The only down side I could see was the length of the brake (~3" IIRC).

demigod
September 27, 2010, 11:42 AM
In your opinion whats the best ar-15 muzzle break/compensator?

Best at what? Reducing muzzle rise? Durability?

Jimro
September 27, 2010, 12:49 PM
JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

Don't know why you would need that much recoil reduction on an AR though.

Jimro

MadDoza
September 27, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have the bushmaster AK-74 muzzle brake on my AR. Works real well, significantly reduces muzzle flip. But I heard through the grape vine that if you want a real good one, you might want to check out Surefire.