PDA

View Full Version : M1A match or super match

T B Good
September 20, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have a question from a friend.

Regarding M1A: does have a " NM " on its barrel...my friend has > supposedly a super, but i have a bet that it ain't....since i know for a fact that the match ones, do have the " NM " stamped in the barrel....

Can someone help us out?

Thaddeus

kraigwy
September 20, 2010, 08:02 PM
As for NM on the barrel, not all of them have that. I would venture to say most don't. This is the 3rd or 4th heavy Barnett Barrel on my Super Match, None of them said NM on the barrel. In its orginal form if did say NM but in reality the rifle was a standard grade with a NM barrel. Gene Barnett (Barnett Barrels and armor for the NG MTU) turned it into a super match when I first started shooting for the National Guard.

Because we were using two types of ammo, M118 & M852, I issued two rifles to my team members, both NM, one with the military 4 grove barrels, one with the barnett 6 grove barrels. The military match barrels had NM stamped on them, the Barnetts didnt.

You'll know if its a super match, it has a heavy match barrel, and heavy over size stock. There is no mistaking the Super Match from the standard match M1a. Both will have NM sights, be glass bedded, reamed flash suppressor, narrow tapered front sight post, and a few modifications inside.

The whole rifle is heavier. This is a super match, (top) compared to the standard match (in M-21 Configuration) (bottom. Look careful and you can see the difference in the stock. (sorry about the bad second picture, it was scanned off a photo of the USAMU Sniper School).

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/posting/websize/M1A%20_1_.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/posting/websize/Sniper%20School.jpg

Flatbush Harry
September 20, 2010, 08:19 PM
The SuperMatch has a different profile to the barrel as it is a thicker profile Krieger or Douglas. Mine's a Douglas, ser. # 0013xxx, made in '78 or '79...I picked it up in the summer of '79 at the factory in Geneseo, IL. It's not marked NM. but it's a SuperMatch, all GI parts ex. the receiver and the stock.

FH

PS-Kraig's right, as usual.

FH

T B Good
September 21, 2010, 07:10 PM
Do you all know if the numbers on the receivers tell which plant manufactured the rifle?
Or is there a great website I can go to to read?
Thanks, you all are a great help.
:confused:

stubbicatt
September 21, 2010, 07:57 PM
Forgive me, but doesn't the supermatch have a rear lug receiver?

kraigwy
September 21, 2010, 08:51 PM

That was a Marine deal, the Army just glued their actions to the stock. I don't know about civilian versions.

madcratebuilder
September 22, 2010, 07:35 AM

I have always seen the term "super match" used for double lugged rifles, at least for the past ten years or so. SA super match rifles are double lugged, match rifles are single lug.

Slamfire
September 22, 2010, 03:18 PM
"NM". Heck people have been stamping NM on everything. May be a GI barrel for all we know.

I don't know when the term Supermatch actually was first used. SA used to call their top of the line competition rifles "National Match" before they offered rear lugged competition rifles. I bought one of the first rear lugged Supermatch M1a's around 1992.

Looks just like another M1a from a distance, but it is mine. Gas cylinder has been unitized, bisonite bedded, beefy stock, NM rear sights. Glen Nelson built this one but it is now on its third barrel. The Glen Nelson barrel was a douglas and he dovetailed an operating rod guide into the barrel. The Barnett barrels I am using have a figure eight guide and are pinned to the barrel.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/ReducedRightSiderifle1.jpg

This is an LRB rear lugged receiver, a SA rear lugged looks about the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/M1a%20and%20Garand%20Receiver%20Pictures/ReducedNicesideview.jpg