PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Garand Chamber

T.A.Sharps
September 18, 2010, 11:27 PM
Need some help on how to take care of my M1 Garand's chamber that has rust in it now.

Saw a program the other day interviewing a WW2 Medal of Honor recipient for his actions at Normandy. Other than his impressive story I noticed something he said about the Garand having a problem with getting rust in the chamber.

That had me thinking I should check my M1 that I haven't had out for a while. There was rust.

Never gave much thought to it before, just wiped inside it with a oily patch.

So what is the most effective way to remedy this problem?

Thanks

Swampghost
September 18, 2010, 11:49 PM
Great rifle and made to deal with some crud. The stuff that you're looking at is (hopefully) surface rust. No biggie! Just clean as usual and lube.

If the rust is pitting or scaling it's a trip to the gunsmith. I do lots of my own work but this is where I draw the line.

4EVERM-14
September 19, 2010, 03:22 PM
Up until the mid 1950's M-2 ammunition was loaded with corrosive primer. This meant that the rifle was subject to rust much quicker then with more modern ammo. After firing,humidity could cause surface rust throughout the chamber and bore. As the O.P. posted the MOH recipient was engaged at Normandy. Salt water, salt spray and corrosive ammo could certainly raise the rust potential. As long as it is only surface rust a good cleaning should resolve the situation. 4-0 steel wool would be the next step.

Old Grump
September 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
If you don't have a chamber brush you will want to get one.