PDA

View Full Version : Found a micro chip in gun?

TPAW
September 8, 2010, 07:07 PM
After taking apart his .45 Cal. HK, my son found a small micro chip epoxyed into his gun beside the hammer spring. Can anyone tell me what it's there for?

Kreyzhorse
September 8, 2010, 07:08 PM
Pictures?

Erik
September 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
Ease of inventory.

Hoss Fly
September 8, 2010, 07:15 PM
Ask the guy in the black chopper hovering above your house :rolleyes:

CatsEye
September 8, 2010, 07:23 PM
Ask the guy in the black chopper hovering above your house

LMAO :D

Kreyzhorse
September 8, 2010, 07:29 PM
"Transponder (Optional)- Internal (molded-in) electronic data storage device. Permits permanent and changeable data (serial number, rack number, user name, round count, etc.) storage on pistol by operator, armorer."

The above info is supposed to be from the owners manual. His gun look something like this? Additionally, is this a used gun? Perhaps a used LEO gun?

There is a bunch of stuff over on the HK forums about these chips being used in LEO guns. Occasionally a non LEO will stumble across a gun with the chip in it.

I'd guess it's a pretty harmless thing, but if it were my gun, I'd take the damn thing out. Too big brother for my tastes.

n7qvu
September 8, 2010, 07:29 PM
Take it to your local animal vet to see if it belongs to a lost dog...

zombieslayer
September 8, 2010, 07:30 PM
Could it be RFID technology applied to the firearms industry??:confused:

KyJim
September 8, 2010, 07:53 PM
Ask the guy in the black chopper hovering above your house
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. As noted above, RFID transponders are to be found in some HKs.

I can see the anti-gun crowd trying to get laws passed to require RFID transponders in all firearms.

Rampant_Colt
September 8, 2010, 07:56 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/10ye00k.gif

TPAW
September 8, 2010, 08:03 PM
Attached Images 2196256484_ff0c23b758.jpg (123.9 KB, 0 views)

The gun is NEB. And yes, it looks just like the image you sent. He will probably drill it out.

THEZACHARIAS
September 8, 2010, 08:05 PM
Now that this is posted, cheaper than dirt will be selling an aluminum foil HK frame liner tomorrow morning :D

Kreyzhorse
September 8, 2010, 08:09 PM
The gun is NEB. And yes, it looks just like the image you sent. He will probably drill it out.

I had never heard of this until I saw your post. I can understand having a chip in a LEO gun but not in mine.

Let us know how he takes care of that chip and if the black helicopters swarm your home afterwards. ;)

zombieslayer
September 8, 2010, 08:10 PM
Interesting. Anyone know of any other manufacturers using RFID?

Wildalaska
September 8, 2010, 08:20 PM
All of them. They just hide them better.

WildexceptcolttheyhavenochipsAlaska ™©2002-2010

n7qvu
September 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
Next COPs will be issued scanners to walk around your car checking for firearms.
And of course, the new law that says you get a huge fine if the RFID is removed..
WOW!

TPAW
September 8, 2010, 08:27 PM
Let us know how he takes care of that chip and if the black helicopters swarm your home afterwards.

I'll keep you posted. WAIT!!!! I can hear the choppers now!!!! :eek:

kaylorinhi
September 8, 2010, 08:31 PM
Duly Noted HK, Duly Noted!

dawico
September 8, 2010, 08:34 PM
Pop it out and throw it in your ex's car. Or hide it on someone you dislike that is going to fly.

sailskidrive
September 8, 2010, 08:46 PM
Take off the metal parts... 5 seconds in the microwave should destroy it. Now I'm going to check all of my HKs.

~Sail

zombieslayer
September 8, 2010, 08:52 PM
Wildalaska- you just scared me! :eek:

Ricklin
September 8, 2010, 08:54 PM
What no salsa?

Dre_sa
September 8, 2010, 09:00 PM
from what I gathered while researching the chip in my hk45, I found out that as it comes from the factory, the chip is inert and does nothing.

the purpose of having it there is for LEO's and military to keep inventory and such. apparently it will also help in some way that I am unaware of in the event the weapon is stolen. I doubt it has traceable output, it is merely a passive circuit that can be scanned I think, much like the security doors that need a tag to unlock or the chips that vets put in dogs.

now if there was a traceable chip small enough to put in the gun, so that I can locate it at any time, I might consider doing so myself. It would sure make any LEO's job of finding it much easier in the event it should be stolen.

RT
September 8, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hide your dog

TheGoldenState
September 8, 2010, 09:11 PM
Permits permanent and changeable data (serial number, rack number, user name, round count, etc.)

ROund COunt is cool. Theyre not able to track with it, it stores info. Id throw one in mine if possible……..maybe…..welll…..probably not.:D

BitterTait
September 8, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm guessing it's an RFID chip for inventory control and monitoring. All the HK tech or police armoror has to do is wave a wand in the general direction of the pallet and he gets an accurate and full count of all the firearms. Standard german efficiency obsession. tap it off (if it's protruding from the gun, just put the epoxy on the counter and give the frame a wrap) or use a razor, pitch it, and call it a day. if you're paranoid, glue it to a squirt gun, toss the squirt gun outside of a government building, and watch and see if swat teams are called.

Spammy_H
September 8, 2010, 09:14 PM
Sounds like passive RFID - inventory control technology. "Probably" harmless, but I'd pitch it nonetheless.

Thanks for posting this - now we all know to keep our eyes out for this kind of crap.

TheGoldenState
September 8, 2010, 09:23 PM
if you're paranoid, glue it to a squirt gun, toss the squirt gun outside of a government building, and watch and see if swat teams are called.

I would …... myself is that happened.:eek:

KyJim
September 8, 2010, 10:40 PM
From what I can tell, passive RFID range is probably under 100 feet. See, http://simplyrfid.typepad.com/simplyrfid1/2008/07/read-range-how-far-can-we-track-you-with-passive-rfid.html. Police could scan you without you even knowing it to determine if you were armed. Some of you all can believe its just for inventory control and maybe it is . . . for now. Just sayin'.

FoxtrotRomeo
September 8, 2010, 11:04 PM
if you're paranoid, glue it to a squirt gun, toss the squirt gun outside of a government building, and watch and see if swat teams are called.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it just fine by myself. :D

lol I gotta admit though. If it were ever for that and I could get away with it, it would be funny as hell. lol

I'd youtube that crap. lol :D

ET.
September 8, 2010, 11:17 PM
:eek: I see dead people. :eek:

Edward429451
September 8, 2010, 11:21 PM
Now I can see getting emotional with your gun. I'd be mad at my gun if told on me. I microwaved my glock just in case it had a chip in it. The frame hardened up again after it sat out for awhile. :D

medalguy
September 8, 2010, 11:42 PM
Look for the tag "Removal by anyone other than authorized law enforcement personnel is a violation of law".... :mad:

eviltravis
September 8, 2010, 11:56 PM
My new hk45 had one of the chips glued to the frame under the backstrap. Unfortunately the chip didn't survive the inspection process.

superchi
September 8, 2010, 11:59 PM
Hide your dog

LOL

AZAK
September 9, 2010, 02:18 AM
WildexceptcolttheyhavenochipsAlaska

Well, now I am breathing a little easier.

But, it is not just the one that you found in the HK. They just put that one there FOR you to find... it is all a distraction to keep us from noticing that THEY are abducting cows!

HiBC
September 9, 2010, 02:42 AM
I have a mattress that says "Do not remove this tag under penalty of law"There is probably some regulation under the Interstate Commerce Clause...And if there isn't yet,wait till they read this!!
God Bless Charleton Heston!

kadima
September 9, 2010, 04:53 AM
mattresses and pillows had that warning on their labels for as long as I can remember...

There are government trained dust mites that reside in pillows who report to the black chopper people about all we do with these pillows.....

K.

voyager4520
September 9, 2010, 05:31 AM
Supposedly some of the HKs have them so that if they're sold to certain LE entities those LE entities can utilize the chips. I heard they're RFID but I don't know.

People often wonder if there are RFID chips molded into the polymer of various polymer gun designs. Particularly with newer Glocks, there's a smooth rectangular portion of polymer on the bottom of the trigger guard. People often wonder if there's an RFID chip under there. I know older and early Gen3 Glocks have been x-rayed and there appears to be nothing out of the ordinary, but I've never seen where someone x-rayed one of the newer Glocks with that flat smooth spot on the trigger guard.

spacecoast
September 9, 2010, 05:42 AM
All of them. They just hide them better.

Seriously, there could be a chip tucked inside the grip frame of just about every semi-auto and most people would never find it.

The disassembly can begin NOW... ;)

ZeSpectre
September 9, 2010, 05:49 AM
also see this
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?75748-HK-P2000-with-RFID-tracking-chip-in-it

Skans
September 9, 2010, 07:58 AM
I don't like electronic do-dads hidden in guns with no way for me to access whatever information it may have on it - no HK's for me!

Rifleman1776
September 9, 2010, 08:26 AM
RFID, no doubt.
Probably benign and innocent.
But, the implications are scary.
Can we say paranoia is justified boys and girls???? :eek:

rtpzwms
September 9, 2010, 09:18 AM
I just though it was part of a new age aiming system that talked to the bullets in flight to redirect them to the corrected aim point. And D@@N if all my bullets aren't defective!:eek:

Sevens
September 9, 2010, 09:28 AM
Take it to your local animal vet to see if it belongs to a lost dog...
Thread winner!

zombieslayer
September 9, 2010, 10:01 AM
Lol- HK: because you suck, and we hate you, and we will track you!:p

Archie
September 9, 2010, 11:23 AM
But I really resent that probe thing!

I wonder if this only happens when the pistol sleeps?

Leejack
September 9, 2010, 11:26 AM
Your OK, unless you see Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith parked out in front of your house in a POS Ford!:D

NJgunowner
September 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
That's James Bond's gun. If anyone except him fires it, it explodes!;)

cougar gt-e
September 9, 2010, 12:03 PM
RFID??

Nope! It's a liberal conversion chip. Every time you grip the gun, it activates and the conversion process begins! :eek:

Errr, well, that might be a stretch. Maybe. :D

I would expect that RFID chips will be placed in guns pretty soon as they can easily been inserted into the plastic before it hardens and then you can't easily remove it without destroying the gun. Used to determine if a gun is present as you pass toll booths, traffic lights, parking structures, etc.

It would be funny if under the chip in the picture was the "penalty for removing this chip" tag where you couldn't see it until after it was removed. I do something similar with my game cameras in the woods by adding a note with the message:

"Congratulations, you have stolen camera #16. To steal this camera, you had to pass at least 4 other cameras, potentially more. The theft of this camera is not just petty theft, but is also destruction of evidence of a crime. A FEDERAL offense. You can return the camera with $100 inside or be prosecuted"

Sturmgewehre
September 9, 2010, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't want a chip in my gun that I carry, but I wouldn't mind having a safe queen with the chip in a larger collection simply because of its rarity.

Sgt.Saputo
September 9, 2010, 12:25 PM
"Congratulations, you have stolen camera #16. To steal this camera, you had to pass at least 4 other cameras, potentially more. The theft of this camera is not just petty theft, but is also destruction of evidence of a crime. A FEDERAL offense. You can return the camera with $100 inside or be prosecuted"

This can only be described as win! :D

Rangefinder
September 9, 2010, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't want a chip in any of my weapons..... BUT a few years ago someone where I worked that fit the questionable/unsavory type seemed to take more interest than I like in the fact I have quite a few firearms. So I started a little rumor that at least half of them have a GPS tracking chip embedded somewhere inside that, in the event of theft, I can pull up their exact location, route, time and travel data to within 2 meters. Said unsavory character never brought up another conversation with me. I occasionally let that rumor resurface just to discourage any festering curiosities before they develop around people I neither like or trust who happen to notice I'm a firearm enthusiast.

Mike-Mat
September 9, 2010, 05:31 PM
What about the S&W M&P series. Do they have some kind of chip in them?

Mike

highvel
September 9, 2010, 06:52 PM
For Sale!

IWB RFI Shielded Holsters, Fine Leather outter shell with patented "Copper Screen" for negating any radio frequency transmission.

Also in a pinch, works well as an emergency gasoline filter!

Wildalaska
September 9, 2010, 10:48 PM
What about the S&W M&P series. Do they have some kind of chip in them?

Yep...and Bill and Hillary have access too besides ATF, DOJ, The Nation of Islam, ZOG and Big Sister.

You guys worry too much. I have had a chip inside me since the aliens working for Nixon took me back in '72 and other than the occasional pain in the lower colon, I have had no one from the gov't visiting me.

WildididgetaletterfromthemsayingtheywerereadingmythoughtsbutthosethoughtsmadenosenseandotherthanthatimcoolwithitgmoneyAlaska ™©2002-2010

demigod
September 10, 2010, 08:58 AM
Could it be RFID technology applied to the firearms industry??

The Mil uses RFID for weapons/parts such as Aimpoints and ACOGs all the time.

thesheepdog
September 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
...i put my RFID chip in my anti-gun neighbor's house.

NJgunowner
September 10, 2010, 10:37 AM
You know that would be an interesting company actually. Make a Lo-jack for guns in case of theft... or you get lost in the woods :D

You'd have to make sure it was a private company with lots of security to protect privacy, but it would interesting.