PDA

View Full Version : Which stock would you pick for your AR-15?

blgjr64
September 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
Hey guys, I am currently looking at two different stocks for my M&P-15. And I would like to get your opinion on the two. The two stocks I am looking at are the VLTOR IMOD ($95) and the Magpul CTR ($92). Do any of you guys have either of these two? If so please share why you like it so much and why you think one is better than the other. Thanks

demigod
September 8, 2010, 01:05 PM
How about Vltor's Modstock?

Those are on clearance at BravoCompanyUSA.com for $49. But of the two you listed.... the IMOD will be quite fatter due to the battery storage, both are nice stocks.

thesheepdog
September 8, 2010, 01:07 PM
I have the CTR and I like VLTOR products a lot. So, it's just more of "personal tatse" than performance.

Technosavant
September 8, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have CTRs on two different rifles. Never tried the Vltor products.

Personally, I stand unconvinced that the CTR is worth the extra over the MOE- sure, it locks up tighter, but that friction lock is one extra step when you change lengths. Not much point to it- I've never felt even an inexpensive "regular" M4 style stock was too loose (maybe I'm not tactical enough). The sling swivel hole means nothing to me; I use ASAP plates, and even then, not many slings need that- besides, you're almost better off with the sling on the back of the receiver, not the stock.

T'were I buying a new stock for a rifle, I'd be looking MOE, not CTR. I'd probably also have a hard look at the ACS too, ditto the Vltor and so on. But since I don't know the storage would be all that useful, I'd probably cheap out and go MOE and never look back.

Quentin2
September 8, 2010, 02:53 PM
When I did my AR build I bought a BCM RE/stock kit with the Gen II slider. With an H-buffer it came in at about $90. Still like it a lot and don't plan on replacing the stock.

Since you already have the RE/buffer it's probably not worth going with the Gen II over the S&W slider you already have - but for someone who needs the whole kit I found it a great way to go.

HKFan9
September 8, 2010, 03:04 PM
My AR came with the magpul CTR stock... I have handled others at work... I don't change my stock length often so the CTR is nice, it locks to be rock solid.

BombthePeasants
September 8, 2010, 03:12 PM
I know if I ever were to re-enter the world of the evil black rifle, I think I would consider a walnut stock w/ a stainless barrel. I think it's a fantastic look:

http://www.ar15woodstocks.com/

THEZACHARIAS
September 8, 2010, 03:22 PM
Don't get me wrong I like my CTR, but...

Personally, I stand unconvinced that the CTR is worth the extra over the MOE- sure, it locks up tighter, but that friction lock is one extra step when you change lengths. Not much point to it-

Says it all. Its a cool gadget, but I don't see the benefit to regular Joes (unless your a navy seal or former army ranger; then thats a different story :rolleyes: ). MOE stock is the better value.

Ive only tried the VLtor on a saiga shotgun at the local pawn shop, but the two feel pretty comparable to me.

smoakingun
September 8, 2010, 04:18 PM
anything collapsable has proven to be a bad thing for me, pull the trigger, yank out a whisker, pull the trigger, yank out a whisker, its a viscious cycle:D

rjrivero
September 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
anything collapsable has proven to be a bad thing for me, pull the trigger, yank out a whisker, pull the trigger, yank out a whisker, its a viscious cycle

I wan this (http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/86)stock for just this reason. But I can't see myself paying $260 for a stock.

TriggerJunky
September 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
I have a vltor emod. I like it... msrp $200.. I want the new magpul stock with battery storage.