PDA

View Full Version : Which Mini 14 side scope mount?

trooper3385
September 7, 2010, 11:50 PM
I have a Mini 14 that I want to put a side scope mount on. This was my issued duty rifle that I bought after we switched to the M-4's. It's not a Ranch Rifle, so I can't put a mount on the top of the receiver. I was looking on eBay, and they have numerous different brands. After researching them a little on the web, it seems like the B-Square side mount is about the only one that doesn't get totally bashed in the reviews. Anyone have any experience with these or any ideas on other brands?

hoytinak
September 7, 2010, 11:56 PM
Have you thought about the Ultimak scout style mounts? I had one on my Mini for a long while and I really liked it. They are rock solid.

trooper3385
September 8, 2010, 12:12 AM
I haven't heard of them. What exactly is it. Honestly, I don't know much about the different mounts for the Mini 14. I bought it a few years ago when we made the switch over, and it's pretty much been in my safe ever since. I shot it quite a bit with the peep sights when I used it for work, but not much since then. I have a fixed 4x Burris that I want to put on it.

hoytinak
September 8, 2010, 12:17 AM
Check out their site: http://www.ultimak.com/BuyMini.htm. I've tried a couple different setups on my Mini and liked the Ultimak the best. It's a little pricey buy well worth it IMO. I've also got one on my AK.

bshefa
September 8, 2010, 05:43 AM
I put a B Square on a friend's Mini. It was okay but required some LocTite on the screw to keep it tight. The leveling screws messed with his finish a little and constantly needed adjusting. In my opinion it didn't work very well. He sold it and bought a ranch, for what it's worth.

rickyrick
September 8, 2010, 07:03 AM
from what Ive seen the scout mount looks like the best option for the no ranch models.

so I second the scout mount

TimberWolf7.62
September 8, 2010, 09:05 AM
There is also the Amega mount:
http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/rugerMini14.html

trooper3385
September 9, 2010, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the input. I went ahead and went for the B-Square simply because I already had a scope that I wanted to try on it. If it doesn't workout, I'll put try a scout mount and probably get a red dot. It's not looking to good already. I tried to mount it tonight and found out that it was missing the threaded mounting plate. I think it probably went missing at the gunshop because the instructions were gone also, but I emailed B-Square to see if they would mail me one first before I take it back to the gunstore. The stores about an hour from me.
As far as bore sighting it once I do get it mounted, I think my manual bore sighter is going to be too low. Looking down the barrel to bore sight it on a semi-auto might be a little hard to do. Any suggestions on that?

KMO
September 11, 2010, 06:18 AM
The B-Square works just fine on the Mini-14. They have a spacer washer, though, that you might consider removing in order grab another couple threads on the cover plate when you tighten the knob. I also found that replacing the wave lock washer with a better one from ACE Hardware helped keep the knob tighter. If you level the mount well and use the Allen-head set screws to lock in your adjustments, the B-Square works very nicely.