PDA

View Full Version : A friend wants to sell me his DPMS .308 AR-15

sserdlihc
September 7, 2010, 01:28 PM
While I was at the range today, a good friend texted me that he needs to sell his DPMS Panther .308 AR-15. I have shot this rifle before and it is very nice. No major blemishes to the rifle that I have seen. He says he has maybe 500 rounds thru it.
Here is the AR that I am talking about.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/firearm.aspx?id=14

My friend told me that he has $ 1650 in the rifle and scope. The scope is a 3x9x40 Nikon Buckmasters. Just looking at DPMS's website, the gun is $1169 without a scope. He wants $1200 for the gun and scope.

What do you feel would be a fair offer to him for this set up?

precision_shooter
September 7, 2010, 02:52 PM
$1,200 is not bad for the gun and the scope. Look on Gunbroker.com to see what similar rifles are going for and then go from there and offer less or take the deal...

sserdlihc
September 7, 2010, 03:24 PM
Looked on Gunbroker and saw a few rifles for $1150 mark, no optics.

precision_shooter
September 7, 2010, 04:34 PM
If they are selling for $1,150 on Gun Broker without optics, then I would think that $1,200 is not a bad price with optics. But it all depends on if you want the gun and are willing to spend the money....

cgbills
September 8, 2010, 02:26 PM
How many rounds through it? Bud's Gun shop has that rifle for sale new at $1020

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/411536983

Liberty optics has that scope for sale for $250

http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html

That is $1270 for the scope and rifle new. Add another $100 or so for good scope rings, transfer fees and shipping. That puts you about $1370. It is your choice man. I would offer him less and see what he says. To me $170 is worth buying new so I can be sure to get exactly what I want and know if anything goes wrong that I will have no problem with the warranty since I am the original buyer.

BODAME
September 8, 2010, 02:40 PM
I have one. Bought it cheap New. Thought I was saving money.
After spending Approx 300-400 and a lot Praying to forgive my
swearing, I have a good running 308.
If I had to do it over again I would not have purchased the DPMS.
"Just the facts, nothing but the facts"

sserdlihc
September 8, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have one. Bought it cheap New. Thought I was saving money.
After spending Approx 300-400 and a lot Praying to forgive my
swearing, I have a good running 308.
If I had to do it over again I would not have purchased the DPMS.
"Just the facts, nothing but the facts"

What problems did you run into with DPMS?

RKG
September 8, 2010, 03:25 PM
DPMS had a string of problems with their AR-10 style framed rifles a while back. I believe these problems were all magazine related and are no longer an issue. I have some DPMS rifles and would not hesitate to buy another.

bedlamite
September 8, 2010, 03:34 PM
cgbills is close, the rifle is $1020 new, and the scope is $182 (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Buckmaster-3-9x40-Riflescope-Matte/dp/B000FGZRMU). With transfer and scope mount, you could keep it under $1300 new.

jmorris
September 8, 2010, 04:46 PM
bedlamite is close the scope is $169 http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-riflescope-buckmasters-3-9x40.html

I picked up one NIB for 1K even awhile back.

Tucker 1371
September 8, 2010, 04:53 PM
$1200 with a scope and only 500 rounds through it doesn't sound too bad. Plus he's your friend and he needs to sell it; to me helping a friend out is worth something too. You are saving something over a new rifle even if it's not a heck of a lot. Plus if he's really a good friend he'll be selling you a rifle he knows is reliable.

doofus47
September 8, 2010, 05:53 PM
Knowing where a used rifle came from is half the battle.

I have some friends who sell me "used" equipment that is maintained and operates like new.
I have other friends who I wouldn't consider buying used equipment from.
I don't know what the rifle equivalent of "ridden hard and put up wet" is, but I don't need one like that at any price.

If he's your friend and he takes care of his stuff, then help a brother out. It's a win-win.

BODAME
September 8, 2010, 05:53 PM
What problems did you run into with DPMS?
Today 03:40 PM

Answer:
Pins holding trigger group would not stay in Lower ( No help from Mfg )
Rough Bolt ( No Help from Mfg)
Broken Flash Hider ( No Help from Mfg )
Trigger Very Rough ( No Help from Mfg)
Gun came with 3 Mags ,( Feeding Issues ) Mfg authorized to return Mags but it took the Mfg 90 Days
to send replacement Mags with same Feeding Issues.
Replaced all Pins in Lower , Replaced Bolt (Salvaged Pin and etc from original Bolt)
Replaced Flash Hider with a Break
Replaced Trigger Group

sserdlihc
September 8, 2010, 06:54 PM
Pins holding trigger group would not stay in Lower ( No help from Mfg )
Rough Bolt ( No Help from Mfg)
Broken Flash Hider ( No Help from Mfg )
Trigger Very Rough ( No Help from Mfg)
Gun came with 3 Mags ,( Feeding Issues ) Mfg authorized to return Mags but it took the Mfg 90 Days
to send replacement Mags with same Feeding Issues.
Replaced all Pins in Lower , Replaced Bolt (Salvaged Pin and etc from original Bolt)
Replaced Flash Hider with a Break
Replaced Trigger Group

WOW! I can see your frustration. Thanks for the insight.

madcratebuilder
September 9, 2010, 05:59 AM
There are several "new" DPMS .308's on GB listed at $950 and not selling. $1200 is close to a used ArmaLite or Noveske, better rifles IMHO. DPMS uppers are extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum. I would want a forged 7075 upper.

sserdlihc
September 9, 2010, 06:48 AM
There are several "new" DPMS .308's on GB listed at $950 and not selling. $1200 is close to a used ArmaLite or Noveske, better rifles IMHO. DPMS uppers are extruded from 6066-T6 aluminum. I would want a forged 7075 upper.

Interesting. I got a feeling that what I am willing to offer him for the gun and scope will seem like a slap in the face. May just tell him I can't afford it and let it go.

wingman
September 9, 2010, 07:26 AM
Interesting. I got a feeling that what I am willing to offer him for the gun and scope will seem like a slap in the face. May just tell him I can't afford it and let it go.

Agree, best not to deal with friends in some situations IMO.