PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount for a ACOG on an M1A

manchu9inf
September 6, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hello, my first day and post here, and this is a great sight.
I have searched it for a possible answer to my question, but did not see it, so here goes.
I have an SA M1A full size and just bought the Trijicon ACOG 4x32 w/.308 reticle and flat top picatinny rail adapter and want to mount this on my rifle.
I have seen the ARMS-18, the Smith Enterprise mount and some other mounts.
Which one is the best for the ACOG.
Will the ARMS work? Is it better than the Smith?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

Will

srkavanagh6621
September 6, 2010, 09:39 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about the Arms #18 mount but have also heard to look at the Promag which is apparently the exact replica of the arms but half the price. It is also made of steel and what not, this puts me in a bind also not knowing to take a risk. So good luck and let me know what you do with a review haha thanks.

SmokyBaer
September 6, 2010, 11:09 AM
I have an SA M1A full size and just bought the Trijicon ACOG 4x32 w/.308 reticle and flat top picatinny rail adapter and want to mount this on my rifle. I have seen the ARMS-18, the Smith Enterprise mount and some other mounts. Which one is the best for the ACOG. Will the ARMS work? Is it better than the Smith? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! thanks!

I'm with you on trying to find some info on M1A scope setups... I just never could find the right word combination on my searches, I guess. Anyways, here's a link I started on M14TFL that could help even though I went with a scope. Let us know how it goes!!

http://m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=87750

manchu9inf
September 7, 2010, 01:14 AM
Smokey, thanks for the link that is a great article there about the history and development of the scope mount on the M1A/M14. Needless to say I learned a lot!
Currently I am deployed in SW Asia, so in some of my down time, I am figuring out what is the best or at least a good set-up. I am leaning towards the ARMS 18 mount. It appears the ACOG will fit on top of it.
If anyone else has an ACOG mounted with an ARMS 18 could you let me know how it is working for you?
thanks,
Will

SmokyBaer
September 8, 2010, 09:55 AM
Will, if you can get a couple USGI extractors and ejectors from your armorer, you'll have a head start when you get your ARMS18 mount. Also, as you browse that site I give ya, check out the "Accuracy Unlimited" section. You will browse threads on shimming your gas cylinder, clearancing your handgaurd and eliminating rubs on your ferrul.

For the past couple months of using that info, I've managed to cut my group size in half while enhancing reliability of my Scout. Good luck with your build and keep your head down!!

manchu9inf
September 10, 2010, 02:38 AM
Smoky and All,
Thanks for the info, I will have to look into those parts when I get back.
The ACOG will be mounted on my M1A or Scout back home I have not decided which. I have narrowed my selection to either the ARMS 18 or a SADLAK mount. The cost of the aluminum SADLAK mount is very tempting.
Which leads into my next 2 questions:
1. Is the Springfield Armory M1A receivers built to USGI specs?
2. Does anyone have an aluminum SADLAK mount and if so, how does it work?
thanks again for the help and information.

Will

Mannlicher
September 10, 2010, 06:47 AM
I use ARMS mounts on two of my M1A rifles, and have no problems recommending them to others.

srkavanagh6621
September 10, 2010, 07:39 AM
I went out on a limb and ordered the Promag supposely the exact replica of the arms #18 mount! It should be here soon so if it works out it is a easy way to save some cash!

manchu9inf
September 10, 2010, 01:42 PM
Well, I am deployed right now, should be back in the states in about 30 days, so I am researching now, I am still leaning towards the ARMS 18 and Sadlak mount.
Please let me know about the PROMAG mount.
I guess after I get my mount the next thing is figuring out a good cheek pad to use!
Nothing ever seems easy! always something else to buy!