PDA

View Full Version : surplus ar mags ok for mini-14?

jambrdly
September 5, 2010, 03:11 PM
Can one use surplus ar mags for a mini-14?

AK103K
September 5, 2010, 03:15 PM
No. Totally different mags.

rduckwor
September 5, 2010, 04:48 PM
No, and buy only Ruger Branded 20 round mags.

Nothing else works worth a damn.

ENjoy,

geetarman
September 5, 2010, 06:22 PM
Ruger factory mags are expensive. Ruger factory mags work.

I have a bunch of off brand magazines for Mini14 that are not worth scrapping.

Be safe, have fun and get the factory mags.

Geetarman:D

DnPRK
September 5, 2010, 06:28 PM
The most expensive Mini-14 mag you can buy is a non-Ruger mag. They will fail to feed and you will have to replace them -- money wasted. Buy the Ruger known-to-be-good mags and cry once.

MosinM38
September 5, 2010, 06:32 PM
Pro-mag 20 rounders=ALMOST....equal quality of ruger magazines.

All the other brands, triple K, National, USA,etc. Junk.

And truthfully: Almost all Promag magazines I've tried are junk.....Somehow their 20 round Mini-14 line must be set up right, or has a good worker watching it.

OHW
September 5, 2010, 06:40 PM
Pro-Mag 10 rounders are 10/10 perfect in my mini14. No need to buy Ruger factory. I get two perfect operating Pro-Mags for the price of one Ruger.

EdInk
September 5, 2010, 07:21 PM
The preceeding post was a paid advertisement for Pro-Mag.

Buy factory mags!

zombieslayer
September 5, 2010, 08:17 PM
I picked up a couple factory 30-rounders for $40 apiece last gunshow.

Ignition Override
September 6, 2010, 12:40 AM
My used ('90) "State of Kentucky" Mini 14 was 100% reliable, except for two of the first thirty rounds I used. This was in 2008. The magazine says "Ruger", as it was an LEO mag.

Apparently, the 20-rd. mag needed a bit of oil.
Although the mag. was used about a dozen times after the initial purchase, the gun worked perfectly, whether with Wolf or Silver Bear ammo.

The plastic 30-rd. Promag was only loaded to about 10-15 rds. on average, and never had a single misfeed.
It was used most of the time because always expected it to misfeed, but it Never had a malfunction, despite having a loose fit in the mag. well.

rickyrick
September 6, 2010, 07:00 AM
I have two 30 rounders from promag that work good. However, do to all of the bad reports they received a thorough inspection before using.

what I found was a slight side bulge near the top of the mags about 1\4 way down from the top...

I very carefully squeezed them in a vise until they were even up and down the sides.

so I don't know if that would have caused any issues before I fixed them...but now they work great

blume357
September 6, 2010, 07:04 AM
but most of the after market mags I've used seem to have way too tight a spring in them.... they will usually function if you don't fully load them... like putting only 15 rounds in a 20 round mag...

also polishing the underside of the feed lip will often help.

as mentioned repeatedly above... the best way to go is with Ruger Factories... since they are now sold to the public... then again they always were, you just needed to buy them through someplace like cheaper than dirt and had to place an order and they were always on back order... but then I learned the secret that it only meant a week or two to get them...

Al Thompson
September 6, 2010, 07:08 AM
Another vote for Ruger factory mags being the way to go. :)

KMO
September 7, 2010, 09:30 AM
The answer regarding the AR mags is definitely no. Ruger factory mags are the best bet for the Mini-14, and CDNN always carries them for the cheapest price. But, I have had excellent experience with Thermold 30-round polymer mags also, and new Thermolds can once again be found for sale after a lengthy MIA. A new polymer magazine made by Tapco is out as well. They perform well, but they will allow the top round to pop out when stored loaded to capacity. A cheap dust cover takes care of that problem though...

Ruger factory 20-round mags
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rumi14220blm.html

Thermold 30-round mags
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/57875

Tapco 30-round mags
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG340-1.html

thesheepdog
September 7, 2010, 10:44 AM
Ruger are the only ones I have seen that actually worked flawlessly.