PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand grease

overland
September 3, 2010, 08:09 PM
Just got my CMP Garand. Any specific type of grease best for it or will a generic gun grease work like Tetra?

RT
September 3, 2010, 08:27 PM
Lubriplate
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6525/Product/LUBRIPLATE_130_A_MIL__SPEC__GREASE

n7qvu
September 3, 2010, 08:49 PM
Overland: How long did it take?
I just sent in my paperwork last week.

TerminalVelocity16
September 3, 2010, 08:59 PM
I guess it wouldn't hurt to use Military spec stuff as posted above, but I just use a standard heavy duty grease I keep in an old school grease gun. Just make sure it's something real thick and heavy duty.

-Term

ejhc11
September 3, 2010, 09:26 PM
How do you like your CMP Garand? How's the condition? What grade and type? I just sent my paper for a service grade HRA this week. When I sent the order it listed 120-180 days wait after a day the website changed and said 15-30 days.... Will I get lucky and receive in the next two weeks....?

lmccrock
September 4, 2010, 06:10 AM
I have been using Tetra, as recommended by Fulton Armory some years back. It does not take much.

Lee

overland
September 4, 2010, 08:59 AM
I got the service grade. Its great. Really nice condition. It took five weeks exactly! Lot faster than I expected. About ten days after I sent it in, I got the confirmation email. A week later the order showed up on their online site so you can follow the progress. I got the Fed Ex notice after 4 1/2 weeks and delivery at five. You just have to be home to take delivery. It requires an adult signature. Fed Ex won't leave it. It comes in a good, solid carton with lots of padding. It is a great deal. I ordered ammo with it which was delivered a few days before the rifle showed up.

NYPD13
September 4, 2010, 10:56 AM
I just use high temp/pressure wheel bearing grease. The $3 can should last a few decades and is as good or better then the cup grease issued during WWII.

Avenger
September 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
Any high-temperature waterproof grease will do the job well enough; Lubriplate and Plastilube were the recommended mil-spec greases in their time. I've used Lubriplate for years for many purposes in addition to firearms, it's as good a grease as you can get.

The last time I did a full strip and re-grease, I used Swiss Automattenfett...that stuff is GOOD.

Ignition Override
September 4, 2010, 05:25 PM
In German fett=animal fat.

CortJestir
September 4, 2010, 06:09 PM
I have been using Tetra, as recommended by Fulton Armory some years back. It does not take much.

Same here. Good stuff. My Garand runs like a champ and indeed, a little goes a long way.

CJ

dagger dog
September 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
I second the Lubriplate, it is a Lithium based grease that gives exceptional protection on sliding parts.

I have 1 tube that I bought in 1980 and it is still nearly full, it doesn't take much, I like to use a Q-Tip for appplication, then burnish with my finger to remove any excess, you only need to apply where the surfaces bear against each other, don't over do it 'cause it will collect dirt.

It's best on bolt raceways, sears, any sliding surfaces, but for pivoting surfaces an oil is better.

az_imuth
September 6, 2010, 08:42 AM
I picked up one of the cartons of 144 grease pots from some dealer a few years ago. I have several M1's and I think this grease will last me for a long, long time. I think the carton I purchased was $12 at the time.

Here's the same thing for a different price from Auction Arms:
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/rcsjse/greasepots.jpg

Eghad
September 6, 2010, 10:22 AM
DGR recommends Moly-Graph

chris in va
September 6, 2010, 10:46 AM
BTW save your spent brass, even if you don't reload. Plenty of us could use it.;)

billfrombyron
September 6, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mobile 28 WTR grease is a good choice.

Cheap and readily available if you know where to look. IE auto parts store.

-Bill

MacGille
September 6, 2010, 03:08 PM
When I was in the Army we did not grease our M1s. Grease trapped grit in the actions and ate the rifle. We didn't oil them at all. Tolerances are loose enough that the rifle functioned perfectly even dry. We shot the hell out them too.

P5 Guy
September 6, 2010, 09:20 PM
Lubriplate is the Mil Spec. Tetra doesn't stain my clothes if/when I get it on me. I use an EP2 grease I can borrow a cup from work of. They use Mobil brand.
Pretty much any good grade of wheel bearing grease will work just as well.