PDA

View Full Version : Pietta Quality Variances

CameronP
September 3, 2010, 09:27 AM
Over many dark hours I've pondered about this:
Do any of you think that Piettas supplied and sold by Cabellas may be of a lessor quality than those supplied and sold by Taylors and Co. ?
I guess the difference in price between the two companies prompted my question.
My recent acquisition is an Pietta 1858 Navy from Taylors and Co. It is a beautiful piece. Every thing functions and it shoots very well.

Noz
September 3, 2010, 10:05 AM
No

R.O
September 3, 2010, 10:09 AM
I think that different prices has nothing to do with quality of the pietta guns
difference in price for the same gun is found everywhere,

Fingers McGee
September 3, 2010, 10:49 AM
No

+1.

The last Cabelas/Traditions/Pietta revolver I bought - engraved Hickok model '51 Navy - has one of the smoothest out of the box actions and lock-up of anything I've bought to date. Fit and finish is near perfect. Now if Pietta would just get rid of them trumpet shaped grips I'd be a happy camper.

FM

Doc Hoy
September 3, 2010, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the forum!

R.O
September 3, 2010, 12:46 PM
the engraved hickock gun is a very beautiful gun ,I would like to own one

ClemBert
September 3, 2010, 02:21 PM
No

+2

Fiv3
September 3, 2010, 02:48 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with different BP arms, but I just put 50 rounds through my newish Pietta '58. Smooth action, accurate, and easy to clean up. The only issue I got was a bit of Walker-Drop with the lever.

But that was only when I was going "magnum" and packing the cylinder full and firing for effect:p

I don't think I've ever got more bang for my buck than I have had with my Pietta.

Howard31
September 3, 2010, 03:45 PM
I think quality of Piettas is hit and miss.You either get a good or you don't.I don't baby my guns,I literally shoot the hell out of them.I have 3 barrels in the shop right now having loading lever catchs welded in.My Cabelas' 1860 lost the front sight the first trip to the range,had a dovetail cut for a new sight. A typical day at the randge is 200 to 400 rounds down range.I shoot 28 - 30 grains of Pyrodex P , 30 grain pellets or Triple 7 all with .457 rnd ball . I have conversion cylinders for the 58 and the 60 and shoot 255 SWC over 16 gran 4227. Last Fridays outing was 300 rds 45 LC Colt and the trigger/bolt spring broke..
Of the 4 Piettas I have only one runs like a timex .I have one Uberti 1860 and it runs like a swiss watch,Thanks MJN77.
I was at the range yesterday,today and I will be there tomorrow.I don't baby my guns ,they are made to shoot and that what I'm going to do.

g.willikers
September 3, 2010, 04:36 PM
So, Howard31, you're the guy causing all that smoky air pollution in the northeast.

Hardcase
September 3, 2010, 04:44 PM
Holy smokes :D Howard, you're a machine!!!

Howard31
September 3, 2010, 05:16 PM
I am Lucky that I belong to a small club and most times I have the range to my self.I am fairly new to BP altough I only shoot subs because BP is hard to find in NY .I am just curious as to exactly what Cap & Ball is capable of.
There have been times I have actually smoked my self.It's a learning curve as to what Powder,what cap and what size ball works best and then I am limited as to what is available at my local shops.Remington #11 caps works best with my Tresso nipples but all I can find is CCI #11 Magnums and they don't fit well. My Pietta 51 likes CCI #10.
I have VTI on speed dial,can't count the number of lever catches I bought.I have soft soldered them and that did not work,I have expoxied them and was equally futile.Thought about silver solder but it requires too much heat. I will keep you up dated on welding.

rep1954
September 3, 2010, 05:31 PM
I bought a Pietta 1851 Colt Navy 44cal. from Cabelas half the screws on it were buggered up right out of the box and had been touched up with a magic marker or something like it. Something like that means no second chance with me.

denster
September 3, 2010, 09:58 PM
With Cabela's if you get a gun you jujst don't like you send it back and it only cost a few bucks using the included return label. If something is actually wrong with the gun you call them and they will eat the return shipping charge and send you a new gun or refund your money. If you keep a gun with problems from Cabela's it's your own fault.

ClemBert
September 3, 2010, 10:16 PM
I agree denster. Anyone who isn't satisfied with a Cabelas product should seek a replacement on Cabelas dime. If they sit back and do nothing then they have nothing to complain about. Cabelas has a satisfaction guarantee. To cry and complain when Cabelas offers a satisfaction guarantee makes no sense.

Zathras
September 3, 2010, 10:59 PM
well, I followed your advice guys, and have a replacement 1851 navy 36 cal on the way to me, and sent the one with the blemished and dented grips back I got last wednesday..Cabelas didnt quibble with me, and they promised to inspect the replacement before shipping it..they were very nice, and ate the shipping both ways..I will have it tuesday...God...its a realy purdy piece...cant wait to get it back.

Hawg Haggen
September 4, 2010, 09:32 PM
If you want a really nice one get the CCH 58 Remington with checkered grips.

denster
September 4, 2010, 10:10 PM
+1 on that Hawg. I've got a pair of them and they are nice.

Fingers McGee
September 4, 2010, 11:46 PM
If you want a really nice one get the CCH 58 Remington with checkered grips.

A pair of them is on my 'Gonna Get Someday - as long as I can get them at the right price' list.

Fm

denster
September 5, 2010, 12:58 AM
They are on sale again Fingers. All it takes is a wave of the plastic:D:D:D

madcratebuilder
September 5, 2010, 09:55 AM
They are on sale again Fingers. All it takes is a wave of the plastic

STOP THAT!

I just got my AR10 build paid off, I want to see at least one "balance due zero" statement before I charge into things.

denster
September 5, 2010, 11:23 AM
MCRB. That "balance due zero" can cause a shock to the system that can induce tremors and hypertension wich will require expensive medical attention. Wouldn't you rather spend the money on worthwhile things like guns, ammo etc. Rather than make some rich doctor richer. Makes sense to me:D:D:D

Hawg Haggen
September 5, 2010, 11:54 AM
He has a point MCB.:D

mike in nc
September 5, 2010, 07:44 PM
"If you want a really nice one get the CCH 58 Remington with checkered grips."

Ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so what exactly is a CCH 58 Remington???????????

also,,,, how do you quote?
thanks

denster
September 5, 2010, 07:54 PM
Cabela's offers a Pietta 58 with color case hardened frame (CCH) and checkered walnut grips. Maybe not historicaly correct but really well finished and very comely. (That means "purty" Hawg)

mike in nc
September 5, 2010, 08:03 PM
oh yeah, that clears it up, thanks

Hawg Haggen
September 5, 2010, 08:12 PM
Cabela's offers a Pietta 58 with color case hardened frame (CCH) and checkered walnut grips. Maybe not historicaly correct but really well finished and very comely. (That means "purty" Hawg)

I wuz wunnerin if'n you hit a c instead of an h when you said comely but I never figgered anybody would think one to be homely.:D

Actually some of the later ones did have CCH frames and who's to say maybe a few grips were checkered. So not too historically incorrect.

Fingers McGee
September 5, 2010, 10:36 PM
They are on sale again Fingers. All it takes is a wave of the plastic

Oh great, thanks alot Denster. Just what I need to do. Unfortunately, I'm tracking and bidding on 3 other guns right now that have the potential of making a substantial dent in the plastic. Besides, I still need a second Hickok, and SWMBO hasnt approved any new ones yet.

denster
September 5, 2010, 10:37 PM
I've never seen an original or photos of an original with color cased frame. Not to say there weren't some made that way. I'd be interested to see some historical reference to that.

rep1954
September 6, 2010, 03:47 AM
denster said:"If you keep a gun with problems from Cabela's it's your own fault."
Never said I kept it just said Pietta dont get a second chance with me.

enyaw
September 6, 2010, 08:12 AM
I know for a fact that different importers pay for and accept different levels of quality control for products. Cap&ballers especially.
Of course the ones I talked to say they get the best grade.
Someone gets the lower grade package for less money. Wonder who?
One thing for sure....the cap&ballers are an obsolete design and can take only so much. They aren't magnums. The use of heavy doses of Pyrodex(more vel. than black powder per volume and different pressure curve) and the likes of 777 powder (high energy powder for modern inlines)can stress the guns. Shooting normal loads as 22gr. FFFg in a Navy 36cal. or 26-30gr. FFFg in an Army 44 will let the guns fuction longer. Hot (hot for the cap&ballers) loads on a regular basis lessens the longevity of the guns.
Conicals on a regular basis stresses the guns too especially in the Colt types. That's why I suggest lead balls loaded in the brass cartridges.
Anyway......the lower grade quality control pieces make their way to our shores on a regular basis. The cap&ballers especially are made with softer steel. That's evident in the bolts peening into cylinders ect.ect.
If a modern cap&baller had steel or iron as hard as the originals they would cost double what they do. Modern steel better? Can be but isn't in the cap&ballers we get today. The metal is soft probably so it doesn't wear tooling as fast thus raising the cost of production.
Let someone tell me otherwise and I'd want to see their revolvers and bring to note the marks on the cylinders the bolts make if the stiffness of the bolt spring isn't lessened....bring to note the marks on the wedges(an example would be a Belgian Centaure made Centennial Army 1860 revolvers wedge that can be hit and not marked up unless it's actually abused and the cylinders that take better the very stiff bolt springs in the guns) of the Italian guns.
Give me a Cap&baller fit well and made of actual ordanance grade steel and I'd pay the price for it. I'd have less cap&ballers but they would have the same parts in them after I was long gone and the next generation had the guns. The Ruger Old Army revs can attest to that. They are made of good steel hardened and tempered properly. The Italian guns? Made to be inexpensive and it shows in the materials and the quality control.
Just my opinion that's all.

Slowhand
September 6, 2010, 09:37 AM
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Uberti%201851%20Navy%20Colt%20Replica/UbertColtNavyTriggerBoltSprg.jpg

Here's one for you... What's wrong in this picture? The owner noticed that his Uberti 1851 Colt Navy revolver wouldn't half-cock after he reassembled it. So he opened it up and noted a small problem.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Uberti%201851%20Navy%20Colt%20Replica/Pietta1851NColt1.jpg
The Pietta Replica didn't have the same problem. Because it hadn't been disassembled yet.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Uberti%201851%20Navy%20Colt%20Replica/ReassmblyMidPointCheck3.jpg
Since he also had disassembled a Pietta Replica of a 1851 Colt Navy. He figured that proir to putting the grips back on he would do a little functional check. Just in case he pulled another bone headed move.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Uberti%201851%20Navy%20Colt%20Replica/UbertColtNavyRollerforMainSpring.jpg
It was also noted that the Uberti had a neat little roller cam or pin installed that makes putting the Mainspring on a lot easier that the Pietta.

The 2003 made Pietta also had a whole bunch of butter screws. Fortunately I ordered a replacement set last week from Cabelas last week. I think I'm going to need them. Having two replicas of the 1851 Colt Navy made by different companies gave me an excellent chance to compare the two. I read that Pietta has improved their products since they made this one. I hope so.

The Uberti had its problems too. The Wedge Screw felt like it had been welded into the barrel frame. I have the spare screws for it as well. But the reassembly of the Uberti was a heck of a lot easier than the Pietta.

Any way both weapons are functioning properly after being reassembled. One of these days I have got to make it out to a range and give them a work out.

ClemBert
September 6, 2010, 09:41 AM
In the first pic the trigger/bolt spring is upside down.

Hawg Haggen
September 6, 2010, 09:58 AM
I havent had a problem with any of the Cabela's revolvers I've had.

mykeal
September 6, 2010, 02:30 PM
Upside down?:eek: Gee, I've never done that.;)

Doc Hoy
September 6, 2010, 05:36 PM
...when folks post photos of pistols. I have had a spring slip off of the trigger but never put one in upside down. At least not that I am willing to admit.

Slowhand
September 6, 2010, 06:26 PM
I love these old replicas. The axis pins with the deep wedges cut into them, the barrel wedge and the flat leaf springs compared to the coil and post springs of modern weapons. That antique design and with the look and feel of later 17th Century technology.:cool:

I'm not too fond of the butter screws that start to flake bits of metal especially if you've had them out before and know darn well they weren't strong armed in by some gorilla at the factory. But I guess that comes with it all.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Uberti%201851%20Navy%20Colt%20Replica/PiettaNvyColt1851Disassembly11.jpg

I must be getting old. I had a sneaking suspision that when it would not half cock that I'd messed up on the Trigger Bolt Spring. So when I popped her open there it was. I took her down the rest of the way and did a double check.

It's interesting to study how the the Bolt, Trigger, Hammer and Hand Spring Pin interface with each other and the Trigger Bolt Spring to make all this work. Like the mechanism of an old watch before batteries and LEDs. Part of the deal in owning these old gals is figuring out what makes them "tick".

Last month I took down a Ruger LCP .380 and had a part left over. Lets just say I'm reminding myself to be a bit more careful.:rolleyes:

ClemBert
September 6, 2010, 06:34 PM
What is a "butter screw"? Not familiar with that term. Tried to Google it but nothing reasonable came up.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/COMMUNITY/blogs/fretaw/Butter%20churn.jpg

Slowhand
September 6, 2010, 07:11 PM
ClemBert

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Forum%20pics/butterchurn.jpg
:)

I started out on a dirt road farm in Kentucky. Horses, ponies, chickens, pigs and of course dairy cows. I spent many an evening hanging on to the wooden handle of an old churn making butter. Moms old churn of course no ways resembles you butter screw.

Thanks for the laugh and the flashback to "The Good Old Days"...:D

CajunPowder
September 6, 2010, 10:43 PM
AH HA ! The revolver is improperly installed, the gun was installed upside-down ! :D

Noz
September 7, 2010, 08:44 AM
The only gun I have ever sent back to Cabela's because of quality problems was made by Uberti. It was dangerously flawed.

CameronP
September 7, 2010, 07:59 PM
Couple of years ago I ordered a Cimarron Uberti 1860 Civilian Model. Opened the box up to inspect the piece and found the muzzle face had ding marks, and the finish was blemished. Although Buffalo Arms made good on the piece, I picked up a few vibes that maybe they thought I dropped the piece.
On second consideration on my original post, Cabellas having the best deals I've seen, have an excellent return policy. I guess there are always a few lemons in the bunch.

ClemBert
September 7, 2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah, there are always lemons....with EVERYTHING. You just hope you're not the person on the receiving end. So far I've had to exchange/return: one Uberti and three Piettas.