PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 bore question

rudeboy3
September 2, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hey TFL I got a question about my mini 14. I've cleaned guns since I was a kid and I have finally had enough with this mini bore. It is so tight when I try and clean it, it strips out the .22 brushes everytime I use them. The only cleaning method I can manage is a bore snake which I dont like using after a long shooting session. Now is this normal or did I get a odd one or somthing? It also will break the plastic patch holders(the little black ones with a slit in it). Its a 181 series mini 14 and its all stock. Thanks alot everyone

bamaranger
September 2, 2010, 11:55 PM
It shouldn't be that hard to clean the bore of a Mini, not sure what's up?

One of my favorite bore cleaning tricks these days is the foaming bore products for copper fouling. There are various mfg's , the hard work on a fouled bore is near nill, and the cleaners work great.

You will not believe what comes out of a heavily shot rifle bore you though was clean when you use this stuff. !!!!!!!!!!

rudeboy3
September 3, 2010, 12:15 AM
I know its rediculous ive never encountered a bore so tight. Whats funny though is, it does shoot very accuratly for a older mini 14. And ya I have been looking at that foam just for this rifle since it has been neglected somewhat.

10-96
September 3, 2010, 02:47 AM
I'm not altogether sure I get a clear picture of your ordeal either... but it is innerestin.

What kind of cleaning rod/kit are you using? I don't use a plastic anything on my rifles. Even when I don't have a patch holder or a jag handy, I cut down a patch and just use the end of the rod (close enough to a jag).

What do you mean when you say you strip the brush? Are you pulling the threads off of the end? Pulling the bristles out?

The breaking of your plastic patch holder is an easy fix. Cut your patches to a smaller size. And, get rid of your patch holders and get either aluminum, steel, stainless steel, or brass one's. Or, get a decent jag set. But in the mean time- cut your patches to a smaller size.

There's an awful lot to be said for quality one-piece carbon fiber or stainless steel rods. I tend to think that if your bore was undersized enough to ruin your cleaning equipment- then I honestly can't see why you haven't seen signs of unsafe pressure on your brass, bolt face, gas system- or seen a bullet lodged in the bbl. I know Rugers is tough- but something wierd is goin on in your smoke pole.

rudeboy3
September 3, 2010, 03:20 AM
Ya it strips the bristles off of it, and yes it the most annoying clean up job there is on a gun when there is thousands of bristles all over:barf:....so I think I will take your advise and try a carbon fiber rod and some real high quality brushes. Also you are correct I have never had a bullet stick or anything like that.

10-96
September 3, 2010, 03:25 AM
What king of cleaning solvent, solution, stuff are ya using? If you are using a cleaning product that attacks copper- remember that copper may be an ingredient of the stuff the bristles are made of. And the solvent may be trying to clean away your brushes. Might try plain old boring Breakfree CLP.

rickyrick
September 3, 2010, 05:11 AM
yes....

I dont strip bristles but, the brushes are very tight...

I quite often have to trim patches to get a jag down the barrel.

bore snake, nearly impossible to get the string down on the first pass.... you can use a shop vac to suck it down (or up, depending upon orientation) the barrel.

here lately, I have just been using a bore snake three to four passes and call it a day

blume357
September 3, 2010, 06:22 AM
too much steel and not enough bristles.

Can't see what's wrong with a bore snake.... works great for me and usually the barrel doesn't really need cleaning anyway.

plumbernater
September 3, 2010, 08:21 AM
I bet its not the bore but your loosing brissles when your crossing the port for the gas block. Ive had the same thing happen to me with my mini and its an old on too http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll354/plumbernater/Photo-0056.jpg