PDA

View Full Version : Promag M1A scope mount experiences???

srkavanagh6621
August 25, 2010, 04:50 PM
HI everybody im loooking at getting a springfield M1A scout and would like to put optics on it. I have been looking at all the scope mounts and am willing to spend the money but a lot of reviews said that the promag was just as good if not better than the rest? I want a low profile mount that will hold zero? So the real question is does anyone have experiences they would like to share! Thanks a lot!

madcratebuilder
August 26, 2010, 07:32 AM
Spend some time reading here.

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/

Lot of info on all the different mount manufacturers. You well find fan boys for every brand. My personal choice was Sadlak. Three full summers of shooting and I'm still very pleased with it. Sadlak is the only manufacturer that offers a "fitting kit" to measure the receiver and well machine the mount to fit any receiver that is out of spec. Out of spec receivers is not that uncommon.

azredhawk44
August 26, 2010, 04:56 PM
+1 on the Sadlak.

I don't own one of theirs. I have used an ARMS #18 in the past, which is a pretty low mount. IMO, it's too low. I had about a 1-2% chance of a case getting stuck between the op rod and the scope mount during ejection as the bolt moved forwards to close.

I now have a Smith Enterprises mount. It's steel, it's heavy, and it's longer than it really needs to be. Frankly, I shoot a lot of high power with my rifle and so the mount is off more often than it is on. I only have it for when I get drawn for deer/elk/antelope, and I stick a Leupold fixed power 4x33 on it for more light at dusk/dawn situations. Didn't get drawn this year. The Smith mount is higher than the ARMS and doesn't seem to suffer from the FTE problems that the ARMS did.

alloy
August 26, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have a couple of ARMS 18 mounts. I heard about ejection issues so before I bought them I got a Promag to try since it's sort of a copy heigth and size wise.

the promag was just as good if not better than the rest?

The Promag worked, but only so well and eventually it shot loose a few times. I doesn't compare in the rear mounting point, or the front. Or the thickness of the steel. It looks like a copy from 5 feet away...but side by side the ARMS is light years better. Everything about it is better materials/quality wise and neither ARMS has yet to shoot loose on me.

Promag

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/dfg.jpg

ARMS 18

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/PICT1215.jpg

thequickad
November 15, 2011, 09:09 PM
The Promag PM081 scope mount flew off my M1a last weekend at the range (with the scope on it). I followed the instructions and put blue loctite on all the screws and torque the screws to the specific in-lb settings. It turned out the dovetail which secured the mount to the receiver was made out of aluminum and not steel and was the weakpoint, the dovetail sheared off and the scope mount flew off during recoil.

Promag tech suport was o.k. on the phone (but would not answer any email), they issued an RMA promptly and I sent in the broken part awaiting for a new replacement.

If I start over again, I would spend $200+ for a real scope mount from one of the big names.