PDA

View Full Version : Optics for AR-15

blgjr64
August 22, 2010, 05:37 PM
I recently bought a M&P 15 and absolutely love it. I have MOE front handguards, grip, and stock. Flat top with front and rear flip up sights. Pretty soon I want to add a good quality reliable optic. Trijicon acogs are just way too expensive for me. I am looking at Eotech's reflex sights and Aimpoint's red dots. If any of you have any experience, tips, pro's/con's, information on where to buy for the best price, and what models of these two companies make are the best bang for the buck I would really appreciate it, thanks!

Jo6pak
August 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
Personally, I am not a fan of the EoTech sights. The reticles seem grainy and a bit vague.

As far as Aimpoints go, I generally like them, but make sure the dot is under 4MOA. anythinng larger will obscure longer range targets. I tend to lean toward tube style optics becase of the abiity to easily "button them up" with flip down scope covers if the weather should get nasty.

But, I also dislike batteries, so I currently run fibre optic sights on my run and gun weapons. In the form of a Trijicon Reflex on my DR200, and a Mepro21 on my GSG-5 (although I will probably sell it soon and mount a red-dot).

dsa1115
August 22, 2010, 05:53 PM
I love my Aimpoint on my AR. Depending on the distance you're shooting.....that will determine which model to get. Batteries last forever and it's waterproof too.

Zak Smith
August 22, 2010, 05:59 PM
http://demigodllc.com/photo/PRM-2006.11/icon/D100_5378_img.jpg
article | Fighting Carbine Optics http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15)

geetarman
August 22, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have the Aimpoint sight as well as the Eotech.

One issue I have been having is seeing two dots instead of one.

Using an unaided eye, I see one dot. Using prescription glasses or regular shooting glasses, I see two dots. I am suspecting a reflection of the dot on either the front or rear surface of my glasses.

I went in for my eye exam last week and took the Aimpoint with me and talked to the doctor.

Her solution was to put an anti-reflective coating on the lens.

I got the glasses back Friday and only see ONE dot.

Now, it is time to go to the range again.

That is something you might want to consider if your sight picture starts to go away.

Geetarman:D

MMcfpd
August 22, 2010, 06:31 PM
If it fits your budget, for a red dot my choice would be an Aimpoint Micro, either T-1 or H-1.

If those are a little too pricey my next choice would be the Vortex Sparc.

kymarkh
August 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
I use the bushnell elite 4200 1.5 x 4 in an ADM QD mount and really like it. The trijicon 1 X 4 offering is nicer but was too expensive for me. I'll probably get one eventually... I like the green triangle the best.

blgjr64
August 23, 2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a 1x non-magnified scope, so I can quickly aim and shoot targets easily at close range, but still able to use out to around 200-300 yards. On the Eotech side I like the XPS-2 and OPMOD EXPS2. On the Aimpoint side I really like the COMPML3. Iv shot a friends ar-15 with the Aimpoint COMPML3 and really liked it. But I haven't shot with any Eotech's yet. My maximum price limit is $550, I prefer to stay in the $400's range. I know with Eotech's they can mount right onto my rail, but with the Aimpoint COMPML3 don't I have to buy a rail mount for it (and if so, what kind of mounts do you recommend using and how much money are they?) or do they usually come with a rail mount? And if you had to choose between these three different optics (Eotech XPS-2, Eotech OPMOD EXPS, or Aimpoint COMPML3) which one would you choose and why? And if you have any other optics in mind that are just as good and in the price range I'm looking at please share! Thanks!

Warchild
August 23, 2010, 06:23 AM
I'm going to be the one that goes against the grain here and suggest you don't go bananas on your first optic. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there that are plenty reliable and that have great warranties. Just because you can afford a $500 optic doesn't always mean you need to buy one. I've been just as pleased with my Primary Arms M3 multi reticle red dot (Aimpoint clone) as I have been with any other, the Bushnell Trophy 1x32 with a red and green T-reticle is largely considered a quality red dot for the price. You could buy 5 of the Primary Arms red dots for the price of 1 Aimpoint. Unless you work in law enforcement or are going overseas to the sandbox, buy a cheaper first optic and spend the extra on training and ammo.

thesheepdog
August 23, 2010, 08:07 AM
Trijicon reflex or an Aimpoint. I hate Eotech's. They're way too blurry!

wnycollector
August 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
+1 on the Bushnell Trophy red dot recommendation. I have one mounted on a saiga IZ-240. It is quality red dot with a clear 3MOA dot. Cabela's has them on sale for $99.99. Here is the link http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0065994713198a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=Bushnell+Trophy&Ntk=Products&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&Go.x=0 Also if you buy it before midnight 9/6, you get $5 shipping by using 8XFLAT

Warchild
August 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
I was referring to this one: http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-trophy-1x32-riflescope-730132p.html

But the one you posted is a nice one also, I heard it does get awfully hot though. I'd still prefer a Primary Arms M3 or M4 as you get 4 different reticles with a 2MOA dot.

wnycollector
August 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
Primary Arms M3 or M4

There are a few guys over on the saiga forum who swear by the primary arms red dots. My Bushnell TRS-25 has been rock solid thus far. As fas as overheating, I have net experienced that at all. Maybe if I had it mounted on an ultimak I could see that, but I have mine on a UTG 5th gen side mount.

I think the important point is, to not spend huge $$$ on your first optic!

Blackops_2
August 23, 2010, 01:04 PM
Another good article zak, didn't know you had published that one.

My vote and what i'm putting on my AR is a aimpoint, I'm getting the micro T-1, light, versatile, and reliable. For CQB i would suggest aimpoint or EOtech i prefer aimpoint over EOtech.

gotigers
August 23, 2010, 01:07 PM
1. Eotech. Not grainy if you adjust for brightness. Better field of vision. dont have to buy an expensieve mount, 1MOA center dot. I love mine.

2. Aimpoints are great, long battery life, mount needed, 4MOA dot

3. Vortex sparc, $199 mini dot. 2MOA dot. great deal

4. Primary Arms brand.

Primary arms sells all of the above. best prices out. http://www.primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=5

Warchild
August 23, 2010, 01:11 PM
There are a few guys over on the saiga forum who swear by the primary arms red dots.

Alot of guys over at arf.com swear by it also. The owner Marsh is a very active user there also. There's a youtube video of a guy literally throwing their micro dot around repeatedly against concrete and across the way and it still functions everytime he picks it up and shows it to the camera. A huge pricetag doesn't always equate to huge benefits. Yah, an Aimpoint/ACOG/EOtech are better optics, better suited for service such as military and L.E., but for your average user like you and I, you'll never notice the difference, except in your wallet. Buy the Primary Arms and use the money you saved to buy a Sig 522.

srkavanagh6621
August 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Aimpoints are very expensive for a red dot with a very narrow field of view! Yes they are very durable but if your going to spend that much you could have your trijicon Acog, But if i were you and dont want any magnification i would buy a Eotech 512. It is very basic that uses AA batteries. Clear and bright that i would recommend to anyone. Hope that helps!

Bartholomew Roberts
August 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
Unless you have special issues with eyesight/eye dominance, field of view is irrelevant in a 1x red dot. Keep both eyes open. Problem solved.

zombieslayer
August 23, 2010, 09:34 PM
I love my Eotech.

blgjr64
August 24, 2010, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys on all the help and advise, I really appreciate it! Thanks for the links, I REALLY like primary arms.com what great prices! So do any of you guys own and use any of the primary arms optics? The ones that I really like from primary arms is the M3, Micro dot (whats the big difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3?) Vortex Sparc red dot. Can anybody tell me how these three optics are? Like how durable, well built are they, do they all hold there zero's. Are the primary arms sights just as good as the real things? (Aimpoint, EOtech) They look like good sights and the prices are awesome! But it almost seems a little too good to be true. I want to know which of you guys owns primary arms optics and how much do you like them. Are they just as good as the real Aimpoints? Will they last just as long? If yes, then I will definitely be looking at the primary arms optics. If Im going to spend a $100 I want it to be completely worth it. I don't want to get a primary arms optic and have it crap out on me when I could have just used that $100 towards saving up for a real Aimpoint or EOtech. I just want to know from you guys before I make a decision on where to invest my money. Thanks

Warchild
August 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
I personally own a Primary Arms M3 multi reticle. It is basically the same dimensions as an Aimpoint. Has 7 brightness settings, runs on CR123 batteries I believe (never needed a replacement yet), has 4 different reticles as you can see by their website(The pictures of the M4 reticles are actually the M3 reticles). Construction was solid, 2MOA dot was clear and crisp, the crosshair is fantastic, almost zeroed right out of the box. The owner "Marsh" posts on ar15.com all the time in the Industry and Equipment Exchange section, he's a very active user, has one of the best reputations you will come across, has a virtual no questions asked exchange policy if it does mess up on you. Really, out of all the replies I have read, I have yet to read one negative review or one person unhappy with the service they received, quite the contrary actually, most posts are praises up and down for their fast shipping times and flawless customer service. Order on Monday and watch it arrive Wednesday, seriously. It came with the mount also so it mounted right up to my Sig 522 with no issue. It's been rock solid thus far and I am overly pleased with my decision to go with Primary Arms as opposed to spending $400+ more on something else. Marsh himself will tell you that this is not a military or law enforcement optic, don't put this on your duty weapon and expect it to suffer what an ACOG or Aimpoint will, although I have no doubts it will stand up to more abuse than you can probably put it through. It is simply a cheaper alternative that the average user will likely not be able to tell the difference between. I know if my PA M3 fails that Marsh will make it right, not only that, I could buy 5 of them for the cost of an Aimpoint and have 4 spare. Try it out, if you don't like it you won't have any trouble selling it, I can promise you that.

MMcfpd
August 24, 2010, 09:51 PM
I have both the Primary Arms Micro and the Vortex Sparc. The Primary Arms sight is a decent, usable throwaway sight. The Vortex would be my prefered choice there for both its usability and quality; it's worth the additional cost.