PDA

View Full Version : I am getting a Garand!

Drummer101
August 22, 2010, 01:59 PM
I have my parents blessing (they are helping with paying for college)

But I am in the process of filling out the forms.

I am in college right now so it is going to take about a week to get it all filled out because I do not have all the identification with me.

But I am going to be getting a service grade model.

I was wondering about the SA and HRA. Is on preferred over the other? This is not going to be a safe queen and I am going to use it and the shipping time does not matter to me, I will wait for quality.

johnwilliamson062
August 22, 2010, 02:15 PM
In my experience most people want a SA and they are pretty well picked over.

I picked out an HRA for myself as it was in much better shape than the SAs on display at the North store.

Drummer101
August 22, 2010, 02:19 PM
I am doing it online so I get no choice :(

johnwilliamson062
August 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
Well, waiting a little longer to go pick one up or to send in an app by snail mail might be a better choice.

Drummer101
August 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
I am doing snail mail (that is what I meant by "online")

I just hope they have some when I send in my app.

Oldjarhead
August 22, 2010, 04:32 PM
I am sure you will get a good one. It is nice to see a younger shooter like yourself appreciate the Garand. My son, a former Marine, who spent two tours in Iraq, and shot every weapon the Marine Corps has, likes my 1944 Garand the best.:cool:

Drummer101
August 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
The reason why I choose it was because I am not really a fan of optics (they just dont seem to work for me).

The AR is just looks like angle iron and I can get one down the road (and I want something that is to specific for my price range...)

AR-10 is to expensive and would need a scope.

M-14 is to more expensive than a AR-10 and less accurate.

I would rather save up for a nice over-under than see myself short.

Not old enough to get a hand gun for a few more years.

And I already have a 22 bolt action. (and Lee Enfield that I have not shot yet)

And I am left eye dominant so a left handed shooter

Hence the Garand :D

Ignition Override
August 22, 2010, 05:31 PM
Drummer101:

Do you have a relative or friend you can trust, who has the club papers and can visit Camp Perry or Anniston to buy one for you?

Drummer101
August 22, 2010, 05:53 PM
not a one, unless someone else on the forum can hook me up.

I dont think it would be a straw purchase because I am legally able to purchase if I please.

In that case someone would buy it for me and I would purchase it from them at cost plus a bit.

dwwhite
August 22, 2010, 06:57 PM
Drummer,

Having recently received mine from the CMP, I wouldn't worry about buying sight unseen. I ordered a Springfield Service grade and got an awesome post war gun. The stock had some miles on it, but the metal was virtually untouched. Mine has an original barrel so I do not suspect a refinish.

Judging from the info posted on the CMP forums, the current Service grades are some of the best they've had in years. Get one while you can.

Plus... for me, the best part was not knowing exactly what was coming in the mail, it was better than waiting for Christmas.

FWIW, buying an HRA will guarantee you a post-war gun, while the Springfield gives you a possibility of a WWII manufacture date, though mine was 1954. Some folks want a WWII gun, some want a Korean era gun etc. Either way, you're guaranteed an awesome gun. Based on the CMP forums as well, delivery times seem to be running 30-45 days for both manufacturers. Either way, expect a mismatched bolt and other small parts.

BTW- I also shoot left handed and have not had any problems with the Garand manual of arms. And, do yourself a favor and get a decent sling and one of the CMP shooting jackets or its equivalent from Champion's Choice, the Garand is much more fun when shooting from field positions. Also- get some Greek ammo while you're at it, price is right and it's some pretty good stuff. (It's amazing how easily I can spend someone else's money:D)

az_imuth
August 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
You've made the correct choice in opting to purchase an M1 Garand through the CMP. I still remember the afternoon when I unpacked my first CMP M1 rifle. Once I picked it up out of that box the fist thing that came to mind was the question of who might have used this old 1942 Springfield rifle to hold back the enemy, and how many GI's hands did it pass through before it made its way to me. The walnut and parkerized steel just reeked of history.

Congrats on making a great choice and best of luck in getting a really nice M1.

1911Mann
August 22, 2010, 09:12 PM
I have purchased both an M1 Carbine and an '03-A3 Remington from CMP. I am very happy with both. The '03-A3 has a two groove and land barrel from 1943 but groups nicely. I already had a Garand. I think you'll enjoy your Garand a lot. It's a hassle for the first one, but totally worth the wait.

chris in va
August 23, 2010, 03:46 AM
Good luck getting a Service Grade. I visited the store a few months ago and their entire stock was sold out within hours of receiving them. Ended up getting a nice Field Grade that gaged at 1.5, the wood had 'character' though. The tech pointed out the gun should have been in the Service section.

You can get the 'Special Service' grade, but cha-ching.:p

BTW if you get a can of the HXP Greek ammo, SAVE THE BRASS. It's for the children...I mean, us reloaders.:D

blume357
August 23, 2010, 05:54 AM
would be.

As for a friend buying one for you... according to the CMP rules no... not supposed to do that no different than the regular FFL form.

I would not fret it.... let them send you what they like best. Doesn't hurt to send them a nice letter along with the paper work.

overland
August 23, 2010, 08:01 AM
Shipping time is currently pretty fast. I ordered mine five weeks ago and its scheduled for delivery today! Can't wait for the Fed Ex truck to show up.

bamaranger
August 23, 2010, 04:43 PM
Dwhite was on the right track. The post war guns (high hump?) missed at least one generation of recruits, and the HR were made on newer tooling I would think as well.

Congrats on a great buy.

Tim R
August 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
I have a Springer and Winchester Service grade along with a H&R correct grade and am happy with them. I picked out a Springer field grade while at Perry in 07 and found it to be about 3 pieces away from being WWII correct, complete with a lock bar rear sight and narrow front sight.

The last Springer Service grade I saw a friend had ordered looked like it was almost new. I questioned if it had even been reworked.