PDA

View Full Version : What sights on Mini 14

BfloBill
August 18, 2010, 12:39 AM
My wife bought me a Mini 14 and I'm not crazy about the factory sights. I don't want to scope it, and I'm curious what sights you have used and liked, or which ones you have tried and hated.

patriotthad
August 18, 2010, 01:17 AM
I have a MINI that has been customized by ASI. It has a Williams Firesight (front) and a Williams target sight (rear) this is the best combo I have seen.

thesheepdog
August 18, 2010, 07:09 AM
Trtium

rickyrick
August 18, 2010, 09:25 AM
3-9 measure the front bell, if you leave the rear sight the scope has to be slid all the way back so check eye relief.

Claddagh
August 18, 2010, 10:00 AM
I put a Williams "Guide" receiver sight on my old (189 series) Mini-30 and it's worked out well. I can get much more precise (within the limitations of the platform) shot placement than with the stock folder, it's capable of a much finer range of adjustments and a variety of different sized apertures to suit changing shooting conditions are both readily available and inexpensive.

So far the lack of "click" adjustability hasn't proven to be an issue for me, as I seldom find it necessary to make any corrections unless I'm switching to a different brand of ammo. Since I generally use milspec ball ammo and buy it in case lots, it's been a rather infrequent occurance.

AirForceShooter
August 18, 2010, 10:22 AM
a lot of people put M-1 Carbine rear sights on.

AFS

Bamashooter
August 18, 2010, 05:48 PM
i like the sights that came on my 580 series, or they like me. i seem to shoot very well with them. although, i would like to have a nice red dot.

Edward429451
August 18, 2010, 06:28 PM
Agreed, the factory sight blade sucks on the Mini. I have no problem with the rear peep. I changed the front blade to a combo flash hider/ front sight styled after the HK sight (post in a circle). In retrospect, I should've gotten the front sight styled after the M14 sight with wings instead of a circle. It works good though so I may not ever change it again.

DnPRK
August 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
ASI makes an M-1 carbine style sight for the Mini-14.

Click the link and go a little over half way down the page.
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

rickyrick
August 18, 2010, 07:39 PM
the newer factory sights worked great for me, however, the allen wrench adjusting is a pain, but when they're set they're set.

using a scope right now because in low light the Irons are useless.

BfloBill
August 18, 2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the ideas, there are a few options mentioned that sound good.

KMO
August 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
I came across a guy who has begun to manufacture some nice hooded front sights for the Mini-14, somewhat like the old Eagle HK-style front sight that was discontinued a few years ago. Here is his email... phoenix1959@comcast.net

For the rear sight, Williams makes two nice sights for the Mini-14. Check them out at MidwayUSA...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=310422
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=697744