PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14

ekeak
August 16, 2010, 07:15 PM
Looking to get into target shooting with my college gun club. How accurate are Mini 14's (.223) at 100 yards? 200? match vs. ranch? Any other cheap recommendations for .223? I'd rather not have a savage or bushmaster.
Edit: Used IS an option and I'd prefer semi auto.

rtpzwms
August 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
I don't think I would use a mini 14 for target... Deer yes target no.

zombieslayer
August 16, 2010, 07:45 PM
My 580-series mini's are as accurate at 100 as my AR's. Past that, I wouldn't know. My vision stinks and I don't have access to a range longer than 100yds. I'd look into something else for 200yds or more.

DanThaMan1776
August 16, 2010, 08:33 PM
I've heard great things about the match model mini

Ricky
August 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
If you want to target shoot a mini make sure it's the new and improved edition, I have an older one and accuracy is minute of dinner plate at 100 yards.

WagonM
August 16, 2010, 08:52 PM
I have a 580 "tactical", although it shoots better than I can (am a plinker, not into target shooting).. but I don't think my Mini-14 is geared towards target shooting per se... never shot Mini-14 Target, so no comment, but for that price, you might as well go with an AR ?

does it have to be semi-auto? how about a bolt-gun?

Katophract
August 16, 2010, 09:21 PM
The vast majority of Minis are as accurate as a blind man with epilepsy. However, if you get a worked over (or whatever) one with heavy barrel by Accuracy Systems then you'll be good to go. Other than that, you'd be better off with...anything else?

LukeA
August 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
^^Yawn. Bashing is Boring. Come back when you've shot a 581 or seen one in person even.

Bamashooter
August 16, 2010, 11:41 PM
it is obvious some people dont know jack about mini's.. mine is a 580 series and it shot 2-3'' groups at 100yrds. right out the box. with an accustrut,triggerjob, and work on the gas block, it shoots moa or better depending on the ammo. minie really likes my reloads with 60gr. sierra bullets. the new mini's are alot better than the older ones. i think if you get a newer one you will be fine.

Homerboy
August 17, 2010, 06:17 AM
I posted on here about 4 months ago about the accuracy of my Mini ranch rifle (newer version). I stapled an empty box of 9MM to the stand (2" wide and maybe 4" long), and fired from 50 yards with iron sights. I think every shot hit. I say "I think", because I dumped a whole 20 round mag into it, and it was shredded. I got so many "that's not accurate" comments, that it made me laugh. We're talking about a target a bit bigger than my fist at 50 yards, and I shredded the thing. And this was without an Accu-Strut. I got one for the hell of it and put it on, but haven't tested it yet.

Are AR's more accurate? Maybe. I really don't know. I have an AR, as well, and I don't see it doing much better in my hands. 50 yard fist size hits are much more than I will ever need. For 200 yards, I would think a Mini is not the right gun. Just because you can HIT a man size target with an AR at 200 yards doesn't mean much.If the shots are all over the place, but still in the torso, it counts as a hit. When I was a cop, hitting the torso got you full points, so you could turn in a target with belly hits, upper chest, side, etc, and still get 100%. I was watching Tactical Arms, and the host, a former Navy SEAL, was lecturing about zeroing your M4. With a red dot at 100 yards, the shot pattern easily was the size of a dinner plate. He pronounced it "combat accurate and good to go".

rickyrick
August 17, 2010, 06:59 AM
I'll have to do some brush clearing but eventually I'm gonna test it out beyond 100 and post the results.... from 50-100 it's good to go.

Skans
August 17, 2010, 07:19 AM
If you want a super-accurate Mini-14, it will cost you. After you are done making it accurate, you would have one beautiful, fine shooting rifle, though. But, if you want out-of-the box accurate enough you can find plenty of cheap AR's around right now that'll work.

stubbicatt
August 17, 2010, 07:29 AM
Jeebus. I don't know why I read these threads anymore. Sure as the world some AR fanboi will jump in, bash the mini, and start touting the AR15. Then the thread starts to have more AR guys jump in.

I didn't notice a "comparison/contrast" title to the thread, like the ubiquitous AK vs. AR thread that always concludes with specious conclusions about inaccurate AK rifles and unreliable AR rifles. (Don't read those anymore either).

Foolish me... I thought this was a Mini 14 thread... there are always dozens of AR threads if that rifle interests people...

Sigh.

Skans
August 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
Stubbiecatt, the OP's question: "Any other cheap recommendations for .223?" sort of opens the door to AR possiblities, don't you think?

I happen to be a Mini-14 fan, once they've been properly "tweeked" (had to borrow this from another thread, sorry). Accuracy Systems has some beautiful custom Mini-14's that are as accurate as any .223 out there, but this level of modification is expensive and not for everyone.

rickyrick
August 17, 2010, 09:56 AM
I always laugh when somebody starts a military rifle thread and the AR becomes the dirtbag rifle and all these other types are better....

So what I can conclude is; The Mini is a bad choice for a civilian, the AR is the best, But both suck as tactical rifles....is that it in a nut shell?

I really dont think that I'd take an anticipated shot at 200+ with either rifle I would probably use a bolt rifle if I knew in advance.

thesheepdog
August 17, 2010, 10:12 AM
The Mini IS NOT suited for target shooting.

SwampYankee
August 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
The vast majority of Minis are as accurate as a blind man with epilepsy.

That's weird. I have two 180 series Mini-14's that can easily shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards, 2 inch groups if I carefully handload.

thesheepdog
August 17, 2010, 10:22 AM
That's weird. I have two 180 series Mini-14's that can easily shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards, 2 inch groups if I carefully handload.

That isn't anywhere close to target accuracy.

rickyrick
August 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
While I do wave the mini flag all day long, I do have to concede to sheepdog and agree until proven otherwise. I haven't seen any proof that the new mini shoots good groups past 100....I own a mini and have not proved it yet...

While it seems promising and groups well at less than 100, beyond that, remains to be seen.

ekeak
August 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tips on the Mini 14. Now I'm leaning towards the M&P15 PC. How do those perform?

thesheepdog
August 17, 2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/smith-wesson-mp15pc-556mm/

Skans
August 17, 2010, 12:11 PM
The Mini IS NOT suited for target shooting.

That's BS. The Mini-14 is certainly not an out-of-the-box benchrest rifle. But it can be a very accurate rifle. It don't come "free", though.

Homerboy
August 17, 2010, 12:12 PM
So a Navy SEAL produces a group the size of a dinner plate at 100 yards WHILE USING an Aimpoint red dot sight, and pronounces the rifle ready for combat, but some chairborne ranger on the internet says that isn't "target accurate". I guess the AR isn't the tack driver that it is claimed to be then.

AKsRul.e
August 17, 2010, 01:08 PM
Mini's are nice rifles but NOT the equal of an AR-15 for accuracy and NOT
as reliable as an AK type weapon. ;)

For formal target competition go with what the good or better shooters use
as long as you can budget it.

thesheepdog
August 17, 2010, 01:09 PM
That's BS. The Mini-14 is certainly not an out-of-the-box benchrest rifle. But it can be a very accurate rifle. It don't come "free", though.

That's what this whole thread is about. The OP wan'ts a "target rifle" not a combat rifle.
And I speak from experience. Try getting rifleman at an Appleseed with an old series mini-14, and also look at the above posts on accuracy from the newer mini's.

thesheepdog
August 17, 2010, 01:10 PM
and NOT
as reliable as an AK type weapon

Where did you pull that from?

Art Eatman
August 17, 2010, 02:36 PM
Trouble with all this is that there ain't no helpful comments, but way too much snark. A veritable plethora of snark. Enough.