PDA

View Full Version : Sell the Mini 30 to buy a second Garand?

Ignition Override
August 10, 2010, 10:12 PM
Would rather ask what could be a dumb question:o, to inspire various responses. I don't yet hunt, and might only go try it out (to TX)-for feral pigs.

The first Garand arrived only four days ago, and is the first gun I've really tried to shoot at 100 yards.
Was very surprised by the first results:), having almost no gun training, and really like not only the group, but the CMP rifle and heritage (even post-WW2). We toured the Bastogne E/F Company fox holes and other battle locations last year.

The all-original wood/stainless Mini 30 is used only for plinking, to supplement the common Norinco SKS, but the ammo for both of these is so cheap.
My decent batch of M2 Ball might last for a while, and could reload later with the correct die-but it is so time/labor intensive with the Lee Single Stage Press, as with the .303.

the rifleer
August 10, 2010, 11:14 PM
Personally I wouldn't sell it to buy a second Garand; however I would sell it in order to buy my first Garand, which I have yet to achieve.

azredhawk44
August 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
How about you sell it to buy decent reloading gear for the Garand?;)

Serious proposal there.

It's easily twice as accurate as a Mini-30. Why spend trigger time on the Mini when it could be behind an M1?

Even with inexpensive surplus pulled 147-ish grain .30 caliber bullets, it's deer-accurate to 200 or 250 yards with irons, and fighting-accurate (3-4MOA) to at least 500 or 600 yards. Good handloads and careful crafstmanship can halve that spread to 1-2MOA from field positions, with a Garand that's "been there and done that."

EdInk
August 11, 2010, 12:10 AM
I would keep the Mini-30. Nice to have variety. ;)

zombieslayer
August 11, 2010, 07:38 AM
I wouldn't sell the mini. But that's just my opinion. As a rule, I usually don't sell or trade guns too much. I mostly just accumulate them.

horseman308
August 11, 2010, 07:54 AM
I'm with Azredhawk. Buy good reloading components. Also, get an adjustable gas plug (Schuster, I think?). That way you can adjust the gas system to handle the pressure curves of various factory ammo without risking harm to the rifle in case you run out of your reloads or something.

Chris_B
August 11, 2010, 07:59 AM
Is selling the mini-30 actually going to finance the M1 purchase? I say: keep the Mini-30 and save a few bucks to get the 2nd M1

thesheepdog
August 11, 2010, 08:02 AM
+1 on reloading. You will not regret that purchase.

RT
August 11, 2010, 08:24 AM
I'd dump the Mini and buy another Garand or a Ak, but that's just my opinion

kraigwy
August 11, 2010, 08:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of the Mini 14, .......................I'm less of a fan for selling guns. I've sold or traded several over the years and ended up regretting getting rid of all I let go, INCLUDING a couple Mini's.

Ignition Override
August 11, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you. Have so far only reloaded for the Lee-Enfields.

Will consider all of the responses and take some time. Already prepared to reload 30-06 after a while, to create more economical shooting; that's why I bought the time-intensive Single Stage.

Longdayjake
August 11, 2010, 03:15 PM
I think I would sell the mini for a garand. IF the garand is in really good condition. Don't trade a nice mini for a crappy garand.

thesheepdog
August 11, 2010, 03:16 PM
that's why I bought the time-intensive Single Stage.

AP presses can be useful, but a pain too. I can knock out about 100 rounds an hour with my AP press, but, sometimes, things get jammed up and such.

Chris_B
August 11, 2010, 04:06 PM
How do you end up with enough money from selling a used mini to buy an M1?

Ignition Override
August 11, 2010, 07:12 PM
Chris B:
Even though my question is premature if not hasty, the CMP Garand cost $600, has a brilliant bore, really nice metal finish with good wood.

That really good condition wood/ss Mini 30 is a blast to shoot, very handy, and being all basic could sell locally for about $550?

Chris_B
August 11, 2010, 08:30 PM
Oh, I'm familiar with the CMP. I love my 595 dollar SA Service Grade, I think it's a great value and a great rifle.

I'm an old car guy, I always put the criteria on 'value' like this:

If a thing is "worth", say, 1000 dollars, it always assumes a buyer will be around when you want to sell, and that buyer will agree the thing is "worth" 1000 dollars. What you end up selling for is often less than the thing is "worth" particularly if the thing is not very sought-after in your area or is a common item. With the rifle you want to sell, it just doesn't seem to me that you'll have motivated buyers beating down your door

Does that mean you can't get 550 for the mini tomorrow? No, of course not. It does mean that you might not be able to rely on getting that money when its convenient to sell...sometimes you end up sitting on a thing to get a couple hundred bucks more than current buyers feel they should pay, and it takes months to find the right buyer sometimes- everyone wants a deal and they always expect you to give them one, but the funny thing is, they never seem to knock any money off their asking prices when you're buying! :D

Toney D
August 11, 2010, 08:41 PM
Think i would keep the mini if i already had a garand. Used my garand money to buy a wedding dress

DnPRK
August 11, 2010, 08:47 PM
Dump the Mini, quick. Garand >> Mini

also

Two is one, one is none.

Stevie-Ray
August 11, 2010, 09:30 PM
I think I would sell the mini for a garand. IF the garand is in really good condition. Don't trade a nice mini for a crappy garand. Good advice, though I have neither. But, I've always wanted a Garand.

gak
August 12, 2010, 11:37 AM
Keep the Mini. You've got the Garand for that fix. One's enough IMO, especially if the choice is two of one kind and none of the other--not (as) much use flexibility (or fun) in that. Diversity is a good thing here. The Mini is that much better for handiness/weight, SD/HD/camp, plinking, etc, etc.

BusGunner007
August 12, 2010, 06:47 PM
The GARAND ( pronounced 'gair-und' ) is overrated and only 1 is needed for a collection.
There, I said it.
What the heck are you gonna do with more than 1...?I'd keep the Mini-30 & the SKS and a ton of cheap ammo for both.
The Garand is an oddity unless you have a reason to have much in the way of .30-06.

WHAT are you going to do with 1 Garand, let alone 2...?

Flame on!

chris in va
August 13, 2010, 12:44 AM
I also got my Garand from the CMP about 4 months ago, driving the 6 hours from Louisville.

Frankly the thing is oozing with history (and oil) which makes it special to me. When I light it off at the range everyone looks over to see what caused the boom, and I always ask if the kids want to shoot it 'till the PING.

Let's also consider how much of an investment they are. Not saying anyone is actually selling Garands at the gun shows, but I never found one under $800 after attending several the past couple years. My field grade cost $495 and the money saved from choosing that over the 'Special Service' grade paid for the reloading dies, surplus bullets and a box of '72 HXP. I've since doubled my 30-06 from scrounging brass at the range, from other Garand shooters that leave it all over the place.

You can get a Mini 30 any time, Garands won't be around forever.

bamaranger
August 13, 2010, 01:59 AM
I missed WHY you want two M1's.

But a Mini-30 and a Garand serve two different roles.

The mini is light, portable, shoots a useful medium power ctg, that is still sort of affordable. Now like a few years ago, but cased x39 ammo is still available and cheaper than /06. They are easily scoped, repair and service parts are available. Can serve a variety of roles.

Garands are a link to our past. Old warrior's worth saving, and revered by most gun guys. They are heavy, long, and shoot the full power /06, which is not as cheap as x39, but most certainly much more ctg. Not really a hunter/sporter, not easily scoped, but both can be done. Can be used as a match rifle. The real plus is pride of ownership.

The odd duck as I see it is the SKS. Not really a rifle, under powerd for its size. Not really a carbine too big and heavy. Not an assault rifle, not mag fed (nor full auto). Not easily scoped. Parts, quality and service are hit and miss on most. And its a ChiCom product to boot.

Dump the SKS, buy into reloading gear or more ammo in x39 and '06.

Ignition Override
August 13, 2010, 04:16 AM
All of you guys make excellent points.

TX Hunter
August 13, 2010, 09:16 AM
MR Ignition Overdrive,
I like to keep various firearms so I can fire a varried array of amunition.
The Mini Thirty would be hard to part with if it was me.
But I do understand really liking a certain firearm, and wanting repeats of it.
My only real advice I can offer is to do what you want.
Go by your Gut feeling.
Good Luck.

Flatbush Harry
August 13, 2010, 02:40 PM
FWIW, I have 4 M1 Garands...with Hornady match ammo they'll stay in 2 MOA and better with my handloads. Interestingly, their preferences for powder seem to differ amongst them between Varget and IMR 4064 when I'm using 168gr A-MAX or Sierra MKs. I enjoy the Garand more than my M1As (I have 2). I almost got a Mini-30 once but ended up with a SOCOM16....a better choice for me and my needs.

The 7.62x39 is kinda like a .30-30, i.e., not a bad round but definitely a different animal than a 7.62x51 or .30-06.

FH

dean1818
August 13, 2010, 09:50 PM
I actually was leaning toward a mini 30 for the Texas boar, but I keep hearing more and more about folks busting firing pins AND..... spending a great deal of time (and $) getting them accuarate

- Harbar
- Trigger job
- Cryo
- Bedding
- buffers

Adding these up (and freight) you are clearly taking a weapon from $800 to over $1000 to $1100

I like the "feel" of the mini, after picking them up at fun shows, but in my humble opinion it isnt on par with other rifles in that price catagory like
an AR, FL, or even a used M1a (I saw a great condition M1A scout for 1200 at our first Frisco gun show)

Seems to me, you shouldnt fear having to replace your firing pin.

It seems like the Mini 14 owners are happy. (But not the Mini 30 owners)

Just my 2 cents.... Id sell the Mini, and get a second type of rifle (like a FAL)

Ignition Override
August 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
For the record, so far the Mini 30 has had no firing pin issues (seldom misfeeds or ftf), used about 1,500 rds. of only Wolf and Monarch, with both 10-rd. metal mags by Promag.
With few exceptions it only sees river banks near Memphis, where it shreds plastic bottles, floating rotten branches and grapefruits from 50-150'.

bamaranger
August 14, 2010, 02:31 AM
Hey,

Here's some more comments for clarity, I hope:
-you sure can own as many "doubles and repeats" of any firearm you want.
Done it plenty myself. At present, anyhow, there are no laws against it!

-I'm a "happy" Mini-30 owner, and my early model has never been custom tweaked, though it may wear a strut some day. Maybe some folks ask/expect to much of the Mini family?

-to me, the SKS is the proverbial answer w/o a question. They certainly are plentiful and mostly priced right, Dillon's just called'em "everyman's rifle"! but not mine.

If I were having to choose between selling a mini, and an SKS to fund a new rifle, .......the SKS would be history. But that's me.

dean1818
August 14, 2010, 06:14 AM
The SKS does have a few uses.....

There are quite a few folks in Texas that use the SKS for Texas Boar

Since these critters have a tendancy to charge the shooter, a followup shot or shots are sometimes neccessary.

Its also appears to be a good 'brush' gun that you dont need to care if it scratches

uses
SHTF
75 yards or less hunting

I dont have one, but will add one at some point.

Edward429451
August 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
The sks was a good rifle but I sold it to buy reloading stuff and a case for my M1A. Mini's are ok too but if it makes the difference in being able to get the Garand then I say go for it because it is an upgrade no matter how you slice it.