PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my Pistol Case

Doc Hoy
August 8, 2010, 09:04 AM
http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/Dochoy/Pistolboard4.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/Dochoy/Pistolboard1.jpg

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/Dochoy/Pistolboard2.jpg

Just finished my pistol case. Hung it in the bedroom. (My wife it too tolerant for her own good.)

On left from top is 1960NMA then three Colts. ON the right is ASP 1860 in the white, ASM 1860 (brass!?) Pietta 1851 pattern Lawman in .44 and the C.O.M. Sheriff's model with the loose arbor.

Slowhand
August 8, 2010, 09:22 AM
:)
Nicely done. Your wife has a lot of tolerance. I have 3 wall hangers in the den or man cave and an old spanish pistol sitting on the mantle, in the living room. Great job on the choice of colors and other decor.

Doc Hoy
August 8, 2010, 09:38 AM
I don't make her go shooting with me and she does not make me go to church with her.

Oh...and she leaves my beer alone.

Hardcase
August 8, 2010, 11:38 AM
A fine job, Doc. And you are a fortunate man, indeed!

Doc Hoy
August 8, 2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks, Friend.

Slowhand
August 8, 2010, 01:12 PM
My last wife objected to my last firearm purchase. She gave the impression that it was either the gun or her. I told her I would miss her. My lawyer is sorting it all out.

Doc Hoy
August 8, 2010, 02:18 PM
Not that you were not serious about the lawyer, Slowhand but....

My first wife, who I refer to as my Thankfully Ex wife was the reason for my getting rid of my first group of BP pistols. She is somewhere in Washington state trying unsuccessfully to control my two sons now. It is nice to have her at the opposite end of the continent.

My second and present wife is more educated, more reasonable, harder working, more likable, more understanding, and better looking. I don't deserve her and spend most of my time trying to keep her in the dark about how completely useless I am.

PetahW
August 8, 2010, 07:21 PM
Nice - Shadow box displays aren't seen very often, these days, what with everything locked away in gunsafes....................

Slowhand
August 8, 2010, 07:32 PM
Seeing as how they are in a bedroom and no doubt he has an alarm system they might be safe. I doubt the average burglar is going to know how to load and use a black powder pistol. I also would bet the guy at the pawn shop wouldn't be impressed either. I keep all mine in a safe, except for 3 non-firing replicas and the Spanish Lady Dueling Pistol I have. She sits on the mantle.

Besides I have two killer watch cats.

I wasn't joking about the soon to be ex-wife. It was of course only one of several disagreements. But as of June, it's a whole new ball game. Of course at 60, I've taken the blood oath and swear ever to do it again. :) I have a couple of would be replacements lining up for the vacancy but I'm not playing any reindeer games.

Fingers McGee
August 8, 2010, 10:50 PM
My first wife, who I refer to as my Thankfully Ex wife was the reason for my getting rid of my first group of BP pistols. She is somewhere in Washington state trying unsuccessfully to control my two sons now. It is nice to have her at the opposite end of the continent.

My second and present wife is more educated, more reasonable, harder working, more likable, more understanding, and better looking. I don't deserve her and spend most of my time trying to keep her in the dark about how completely useless I am.

Boy Doc, we sure do have a lot in common. BTW, love your idea of bedroom decor too.

Rampant_Colt
August 8, 2010, 10:56 PM
Very cosmopolitan, Doc ;)

Blackpowder cartridge board next..?

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 05:47 AM
Yes we have a system but we use it little since our schedules generally have someone in the house pretty much all of the time.

It only takes five mintes for tragedy to strike. And leaving an alarm system turned off is a little dumb.

Right now I have a failed door sensor so the primary point of entry is unprotected anyway. I ordered the switch last Friday and will put it in when it comes in.

The security company wanted 105.00 to come out and service the system. The switch was 7.99 plus five bucks priority shipping. Note: FIVE BUCKS PRIORITY SHIPPING. I like a company that does not try to make a profit on shipping and handling.

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 05:53 AM
Would a black powder cartridge board be a pile of 17 grains of fffg, a cap and a .36 ball next to a pile of 25 grains of fffg with a cap and a .44 ball?

;)

ClemBert
August 9, 2010, 07:03 AM
Beautifully done Doc!

The only problem I'd have with that display in my house is the constant urge to fondle them everytime I walked by. I'd never get anything done around here. You know, outta sight outta mind.

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 08:43 AM
Before I put these pistols up, I kept them in woolen socks. The woolen socks are worn out from taking the pistols out and putting them away. I put the shadow box up four days ago and I have already saved $13.00 on socks.:D

Slowhand
August 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
Tell me... you're not a shrink?

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
...one of the classes I teach is PSYC305.

Rampant_Colt
August 9, 2010, 11:40 AM
<Marty McFly> Doc, Doc! Ever heard of cartridge conversions?

I think a BP handgun cartridge board would be a nice addition to your fine six-shooter display case

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20740-cat20913&id=0018793216571a&navCount=2&podId=0018793&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20913

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 12:48 PM
Yes,

I pretty much knew what you were referring to.

One of my faults is that I don't make a point of telling folks when I am kidding on this forum. It has gotten me into hot water on more than one occassion. You would think I would learn.....I mean I even drink a smart man's beer....(Genius Stout):D

By the way, I do agree that a cartridge board for BP cartridges would be an interesting addition.

bedbugbilly
August 9, 2010, 01:05 PM
Doc - beautiful job on the display case! I hope you made two of them . . . one for your shootin' irons and one for the Mrs. to hang and display her jewelry in? After all . . . when a lady puts up with a hobby like ours, there is eventually going to be some "baubles" that she wants too! :) Again . . . it looks terrific!

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 01:21 PM
But let me ask a question of folks in the group.

Please understand, BBB I am not complaining or criticizing. This really is a question I have been wanting to address. I will raise the issue even though it has nothing to do with shadow boxes. (Don't ask me why that should matter now...I have hijacked more threads in the last two years than Carter has Little Liver Pills.) If it appears to have legs, it can be moved to a new thread.

I have shot BP off and on for quite some time, but I never really thought of it as a hobby. It seems to engender a devotion which rises above being a hobby but does not quite make it to the "way-of-life" level.

So what is it? A hobby? A pursuit? An interest? Or maybe it doesn't matter.

mykeal
August 9, 2010, 02:12 PM
All of the above, depending on the individual.

For me it's a bit more than a hobby, but certainly not a way of life. Perhaps a 'serious pastime', or maybe an 'earnest pursuit'.

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 02:51 PM
I like both of those and I must admit that I get my nose a little out of joint if I hear it referred to as hobby.

I am kind of a quirky guy and these things weigh heavily upon my mind.

I am at lisk of unsulting or offending Bedbug here and, the Lord knows, Billy, I do not mean to. Your devotion is clearly beyond question.

Rampant_Colt
August 9, 2010, 03:08 PM
Do you ever take them out of the case and quick-draw while wearing a cowboy hat and holster in front of the mirror when movies like The Good, Bad and Ugly or Josie Wales comes on?

Hardcase
August 9, 2010, 04:09 PM
Somebody asked me if I was a "collector" or an "accumulator". Well, I figured that if I was a collector, that would mean that I had some sort of plan or goal in mind for the guns that I bought. But if I was an accumulator, then I'd just be picking up any old thing that came by.

I know that there's some kind of theme that a person could detect if he were to give all the guns a look-see.

So I decided that I was an accumulector. Or maybe a collumulator. Anyway, it seems to me like there's an analogy here that I'm trying to make.

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 04:16 PM
To RC,

How did you know!? I have run out of joint compound from having to patch up all of the bullet holes behind the TV. (Sometimes I just forget its loaded.)

To HC,

I have a plan. My plan is that I want one of everything I see, until I have one and then I want two.

CajunPowder
August 9, 2010, 06:27 PM
(sniff), :(

But what about all those poor little Remmies? They're gonna get jealous ya know.

Doc Hoy
August 9, 2010, 06:53 PM
The Remmies go into the next case. Or maybe if they behave themselves I'll give them some time in this one.

R.O
August 15, 2010, 12:53 PM
this is how I display my guns ,no case , just a particele board with green (pooltable)cloth , on the wall in my living room, no nagging from my wife....
oops forgot to mention ,I live alone :D

http://a.imageshack.us/img291/9670/1001677.jpg

Doc Hoy
August 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
1. Welcome to the forum.

2. That is an outstanding wall.

Slowhand
August 15, 2010, 02:12 PM
Very nice. You have a nice collection and the display is rather well done. Thanks for the glimpse into your litle haven.

I recently became single again and am in the process of renovating my house to reflect my own personal taste in decor. The kids are grown, so now it's just me and a couple of cats. I've come to the conclusion that a maid service is cheaper than a wife, so I'll be keeping it real simple for the immediate future.

I sold the big house a few years back and bought a smaller place, getting ready for retirement. Space is of course a consideration.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Forum%20pics/IrmoJul720102.jpg

I'm a collector from firearms to Roman Charioteers to Welsh Dragons, Egyptian Pharoahs, French Cannons, Knives, Model Airplanes, Korean Chess Sets, Japanese Statues, Greek Vases, and various other things that I encountered during the 24 years I spent in the military and was fortunate enough to wander all over the planet.

I have about a dozen revolvers and pistols and a couple of longe range rifles. Those of course stay in the safes, escept for some non-firing display models and an old Spanish Replica Muzzle Loader Dueling Pistol that an intruder would find hard to load..

So I would simply call myself a collector and leave it at that.

TheGoldenState
August 15, 2010, 02:33 PM
I don't make her go shooting with me and she does not make me go to church with her.

Oh...and she leaves my beer alone.

SonuvaBitch, now thats living the dream.:eek:

bedbugbilly
August 15, 2010, 03:24 PM
Doc - sorry to cause a "stir" when I said the word "hobby" in reference to shooting BP - :D Now on the serious side . . . . . perhaps we shoot what we do just because it "feels right in our hand"? Like there is an unexplained "familiarity" with the feeling of a Colt or Remington or whatever . . . . sort of like it feels "natural" but we can't explain "why"? Call me a "nut" . . . but I truly believe that we go around more than once but we don't have the capability of realizing that we have had "other lives". How else do you explain the "deja vu" that you sometimes cannot explain? Hobby, pursuit or whatever you call it . . . . it somehow causes a "connection" with something we can't explain. At least that's my theory . . .. . but then again, maybe I'm just nuts! :)

Doc Hoy
August 15, 2010, 04:45 PM
I think there is something to what you said when it comes to Colt 1860s. 1851s are a little too small but still very natural. Remingtons don't feel quite right because of the trigger. ROAs feel quite good.

I told my wife I need a Second Model Dragoon to see how it feels in my hand. She rapped me with one of my 1860s and asked how that felt on the head. Then she said, Dragoons are heavier aren't they?"

Maybe I should wait for a coupla days.

R.O
August 15, 2010, 05:13 PM
Doc thanks for the welcome,slowhand ,thanks the same here I have two great kids, living with my two dogs alone, my life started many ,many moons ago:):):D WOW you have a wide variety of intrest in collecting stuff
the almost all first generation colts are my pride and joy but I collect some german WW2 related items too,these can not be seen by visitors ,I don't want to offend any visitor in my house ,or letting them think I have some kind of morbid fascinitation for this era :mad: luger and helmet been in the family since the end of the war
http://a.imageshack.us/img517/3097/1002209x.jpg
http://a.imageshack.us/img517/461/1002215sdfghjkertyhuj.jpg

Doc Hoy
August 15, 2010, 07:54 PM
1. Yeowee!

2. Yeowee!

R.O
August 15, 2010, 09:26 PM
:D:D:D:D:D

Slowhand
August 15, 2010, 10:39 PM
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv308/bgoff689/Forum%20pics/MantleMenorah.jpg
On my mantle I have an old family heirloom.

I’m not jumping any hasty conclusions how the collection came into your family but I understand why you don’t show it to guests.:)

It's is a nice looking collection though.

BuffaloJack
December 22, 2010, 12:02 PM
AWESOME!

madcratebuilder
December 23, 2010, 06:17 AM
That's an outstanding job on the case Doc, you should sell those.