PDA

View Full Version : A good reliable 9mm, CHEAP is paramount

Major Beef
August 6, 2010, 02:31 AM
Wanted for range use: Fun, reliable, cheap 9mm in the $300s?
Popular RELIABLE 9mm guns, all seem to cost around $500-900
The following guns interest me:

1) American Tactical AT92 for $299.99 (New)
Pros: Brand new. A much cheaper, made in Turkey, clone of Baretta 92F, but with steel guide rod & trigger. Cheap mags.
Cons: Uncertain reliability, uncertain quality of finish

2) Smith & Wesson 5906 for $319.00 (Used - good/very good condition)
Pros: Reliable track record. Fun to shoot?
Cons: Used, likely some cosmetic problems. Heavy gun. More expensive mags.

3) Springfield Armory XD 9 for $409 (New)
Pros: Reliability. Personally had good experience with this gun.
Cons: A little out of price range for me. Mags also a little more expensive.

-Any thoughts on these guns?
-Which of S&W or AT would you rather get and why?
-Would you pay $100-120 extra to get the XD 9 over these two?
-Any other suggestions for a cheap 9mm for under $400 that I should consider?

Background on myself: Bought my first firearms recently, an FNX 9 and a S&W M&P AR15; never tried them out beforehand, just because I don't think I know enough about guns to have a strong preference. Basically looking for a secondary 9mm for the cheap.

Update x1:
I have compiled a list based on the input from this thread. Hope this helps someone out there. I'll be doing some additional research and deal hunting before my next 9mm. I'll be taking a long hard look at Ruger P95, Bersa Thunder 9 Full/UC Pro, American Tactical AT92, S&W 5906 and other S&W third gens.

Ruger P95 and S&W 5906 are running away with the vote at the moment.

Feel free to vote or add guns to the spreadsheet. Vote for as many gun as you like, but PLEASE only vote once per gun. Add new bargain pistols if warranted.

Your votes/mentions have already been tallied up to post #52.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoL9BCHhus85dF9OOV9pNDJ1ZWhnQ3dMenl4VkVFWlE&hl=en&authkey=CMau5bMP

kingwc
August 6, 2010, 02:49 AM
Checkout the Bersa uc9 or full size Thunder 9. Very reliable, very well made and can be bought new for $350 or less.

TeamSinglestack
August 6, 2010, 03:26 AM
Get a used 9mm with a proven track record and that has been tested for performance and reliability by a professional armed agency. IE, Glock, SIG, S&W, Springer, or CZ.

You can get a used model for "around" $300 if you look, and there are PLENTY of pistols for sale that probably don't even have 1000 rounds fired through them.

schnarrgj
August 6, 2010, 03:59 AM
+1 on the Bersam They are very reliable, very accurate, and have a lifetime warrentee
For the original owner. You can get a lot more information by people who have them at
http://www.bersachat.com

oldandslow
August 6, 2010, 04:21 AM
p o p, 8/6/10

My recommendation for a 9mm in the $300 range is the SW 3rd generation pistols. The 5906 is an excellent gun for range of home use, but a bit heavy for carry. A good compromise is the 6906 or 6904, slightly smaller than the 5906 but with an aluminum frame- a lot easier to carry but still great shooters. All can be had on Gunbroker (www.gunbroker.com) for the low to mid $300's. I have all of the above pistols and still like them, even after thosands of rounds through each one.

Other pistols with a good reputation that are priced lower than many comparable pistols are the Stoeger Cougar (made on Beretta machinery which was shipped to Turkey) and the Ruger autopistols. Good luck on your quest.

best wishes- oldandslow

Elvishead
August 6, 2010, 04:35 AM
Looking forward to the answers.:D

Lavid2002
August 6, 2010, 05:09 AM
+1 for used, what really goes bad on a pistol? Finish damage (Holster wear, scratches, dings) all these are aesthetic. Things get worn out that may affect accuracy (Barrel bushings, locking lugs) But unless something breaks it is very very hard to shoot out a gun.

I bought a H&R pump shotgun(210$). It has been through a LOT of work duck hunting, skeet shooting, and everything in between. After 6 years of punishment something finally broke on it, the hammer spring needs to be replaced because it isn't hitting the primers hard enough now. Big deal :p

My advice C/N, find a buddy with an FFL, look for used quality on gun broker for cheap $$$
Beretta 92
Glock17-19
XD-M
SR-9
Taurus

-Dave

wnycollector
August 6, 2010, 05:31 AM
A used S&W 3rd gen is pretty tough to beat if you want reliable and cheap. I agree with oldandslow, get an aluminum framed pistol if you are going to carry it. I have a S&W m910 (value line 5904) and it gets carried a lot! Full sized models with aluminum frames to look for are models 5903, 5904, 915 and all 6900 models. Also don't overlook second gen models 459, 559 and 469.

CajunBass
August 6, 2010, 06:02 AM
Smith & Wesson SW9VE "Sigma." Other than a heavy trigger, (not as "BAD" as many of it's critics would have you believe) mine has been a good buy. I dry fired mine a lot and either the trigger got smoother, or I got used to it. Either way, I like it. About $300.00 or so, with a $50.00 rebate (or two free mage) which I believe is still going on. someone can correct me if not.

hemiram
August 6, 2010, 07:29 AM
The 5906 would be my choice. I just got one, in great shape, with two mags, box and paperwork, for less than $350, shipped.

big_bad_kitty
August 6, 2010, 07:44 AM
Check out sccy dot com. Running about $250 for either model right now.

winkytink
August 6, 2010, 08:01 AM
AIM Surplus has S&W 5906 police trade-ins in stainless for $330. Of course, you'd still have to pay shipping and FFL transfer fees, but that's still hard to beat.

Best hurry. As of 9 AM EDT they show only two left in stock. :D

spacecoast
August 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
You can get a new Ruger P95 for about $300, most reliable 9mm on the planet IMHO.

Charles Ellis
August 6, 2010, 08:02 AM
Summit Gunbroker has used (police trade-ins) for $375 and extra mags $10.If I was in the market this is what I would buy.

rickyjames
August 6, 2010, 08:06 AM
if you like the beretta 92 then you might look at the taurus pt 92 which is highly regarded as one of the best taurus pistols. i have have both a stainless and blue of that model and they are great, paid $299 ea for them new a few years ago.

my son has the springfield and it is an excellent gun as well. i have a s&w mod 59 and 669 they are both good guns but i would suggest a new gun rather than used.

87samurai
August 6, 2010, 08:12 AM
Another vote for the Ruger P95.

oneounceload
August 6, 2010, 08:30 AM
Of the three you LISTED, go for the S&W

Scout
August 6, 2010, 08:37 AM
Ruger P 95. Inexpensive and built like a tank.

Inhimwelive
August 6, 2010, 08:39 AM
I would second the Bersa UC or one of their other models.. It is extremely relaible and the price is what you want..

WESHOOT2
August 6, 2010, 08:47 AM
The Ruger P-series is the most overlooked civilian consumer choice; it is a 'Buy'.

It is the ONLY "cheap" new 9x19-chambered pistol I'd consider. I mean, if forced to :eek:

zombieslayer
August 6, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'd look into a Ruger P95. If you can afford the extra $$$ the XD's are super tough. At least the 2 I bought were. I gave my brother one, and one got stolen.

cz223
August 6, 2010, 09:51 AM
Used 3rd gen S&W $300-350
Used Glock-2nd gen $350
New Ruger P95- Saw them for as low a $269 at hoffguns.com recently
New Sigma around $300 after rebate.
There are several Taurus guns that fit your price range. I like the PT111.
Kel-tec PF9 <$250
Kel-tec P11<$300 both good guns by all accounts.

It is pretty amazing how many good choices there are in this price range.:D

EastKY_DO
August 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
Dittos on the Ruger P-95. My local dealer sells them $298+tax, NIB. I've had one since 1999 and have put literally thousands of rounds through it. It still shoots great and has only had one burp during the eleven years I've had it. I was burning through a half case of Wolf at the range one day and somewhere after about 400~425 rounds I got a feed failure. If you have ever shot Wolf ammo you know how dirty (filthy is a better word) it is. I field stripped the gun and wiped down the parts with a rag, put it back together and proceeded to shoot the remaining 75, or so, rounds that I had left in the half case. No further malfunctions that day or since. The gun just plain works, and for the price the only thing not to like is, maybe, the looks. Maybe mine has grown on me over the years, but I like the way it looks. :)

B. Lahey
August 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
Go for the Smith, although I'm a bit surprised you haven't been able to find one for less than that.

Beats the heck out of some unknown Turkish knockoff or a loaf of Croatian plastic.

kymarkh
August 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
Of those 3 listed I'd choose the XD. The AT92 is an unknown and the 5906 is just too HEAVY for what it is - a service pistol in 9mm.

I'd be patient and wait until you find a used XD, Glock or CZ if I was in your shoes. I paid 350.00 for my used XD 9mm a few years ago and 400.00 for a like new Glock just recently. Or maybe save for a while and get a S&W M&P 9mm to match your S&W AR...

seeker_two
August 6, 2010, 10:13 AM
One more for the Ruger P-series guns....they often end up being more reliable and trouble-free than most guns costing twice as much....

Steven_Seagal
August 6, 2010, 10:36 AM
often times you get what you pay for. I'd save a few extra bucks and get the XD. Great reputation, great customer service, and reliable and fun to shoot

Coltman 77
August 6, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'd choose the Smith & Wesson 5906 for $383 if I were in your shoes.

Good luck. :)

Fiv3
August 6, 2010, 11:01 AM
I know it's out of left field, but I adore my cheap 9mm Norinco Tokarev clone. They can be had for under 200 bucks easily, are a slim single stack pistol sporting a 70 year old design (borrowed from a 100 year old design:p), and a built like a tank.

They aren't the most ergonomically designed guns, but they get the job done and were built to handle the super hot 7.62x25 round so just about anything an fmj 9mm can dish out they can take. They seem to hate jhp though, so keep that in mind.

I was in the same boat looking for a cheap range 9mm. Found the 213 at a gun show and liked it so much I tracked down a second one for truck duty.

If you twisted my arm to pick a reliable and affordable readily available 9mm, I'd probably have to go with the G17.

Onward Allusion
August 6, 2010, 12:37 PM
S&W 5906 will out last most of us and is very reliable. You can definitely pick them up for less than $383. Online ~ $300 + another $40 to $50 for shipping & transfer.

As for cosmetics, you can do a quick bead blast if it really bugs you. The mags are NOT expensive. You can get 17 round Mec Gars for around $23 each. 15 rounders for $20. If you want to just use it for the range, then Eagle Mags are fine. I'd picked up 20 new ones for $10 bucks a piece.

pirateoftheperineum
A good reliable 9mm, CHEAP is paramount

carguychris
August 6, 2010, 01:13 PM
S&W 5906 will out last most of us and is very reliable... The mags are NOT expensive. You can get 17 round Mec Gars for around $23 each. 15 rounders for $20. If you want to just use it for the range, then Eagle Mags are fine. I'd picked up 20 new ones for $10 bucks a piece.
+1, and then there's LE surplus mags. Many police departments have traded in their 5906s for the latest tactical plastic- this is the source of the surplus pistols- and some departments are cleaning out their stockpiles of magazines too. I have seen gun show vendors with boxes full of used factory 59-series mags for $10-$15ea. :)

Mags for these pistols are not expensive; quite the contrary. IMHO this is one of the major advantages of the platform right now. You just need to know where to look. :D

LordTio3
August 6, 2010, 01:51 PM
I love the Smith and Wesson 5906. Also look at the 6906, as there are a lot of older ones for sale in that price range on sites like Gunbroker.com. Also look at the 6904.

Just to offer another suggestion... that's probably going to get me shot for saying...

Loow at a Hi-Point C9. If you've never seen one, I'm going to illustrate your reaction for you.

":eek::barf: No freaking way!"

But if you hold one, they are very solid and you can get them for well under $200. They are a good practice pistol, and despite the negative hype surrounding them (which I regularly take part in due to the appealing nature of good old-fashioned ripping) they are a good RANGE Gun to have. They are not a carry weapon and you will see why when you pick one up the first time. But they come with a lifetime warranty on any manufacturing error for any owner of the pistol. You can shoot them until they fall apart (it would take a while considering it's built like a brick) and tell Hi-Point about it and they'd send you a new one with 1-2 mags for the trouble.

It's not a bad deal. Just something to think about.

And DON'T tell them LT sent you,
~LT

aarondhgraham
August 6, 2010, 01:54 PM
But I'm very surprised that no one has mentioned a Hi-Point,,,

~~~Ducking behind chair now~~~

:D

bdb benzino
August 6, 2010, 01:57 PM
I got this yesterday for $295 with an IWB holster:D
Its a Bersa Thunder 9 full size, and the light did not come with the deal.

pacerdude
August 6, 2010, 02:08 PM
Didn't read through all of the posts so I don't know if it has been recommended yet, but you could get a Ruger P 95 new for around $300. You can also get a Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm new for around $300.

They are both reliable firearms, that won't put too big of a dent in your wallet. YMMV.

Big Bill
August 6, 2010, 02:55 PM
-Would you pay $100-120 extra to get the XD 9 over these two?Hell YES! It's a great gun at a great price. Besides, you like it - right?

BOBA FETT
August 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
you should go with the smith and wesson sigma 9mm. i have one in .40 and i have no problems at all...alot of people bash the sigma becuase it is very reliable and affordable at the same time..some poeple think that you have to have an expensive gun to be reliable....these people are probably mad that their expensive gun has lots of problems and the sigma has no problems...

pelo801
August 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
before everyone discounts the ATI as the "of unknown origin", therefore it's no good gun. they're made by Tisas Zigana. i have the 45 version, the C45. i liked it so much, and it has been such a reliable gun for me so far, that i bought another one. the stainless one with the ported barrel/slide. i took a chance on it, and i am happy i did. this link isn't the berreta clone, i believe it's the CS9 model. has the same ported slide/barrel, but not stainless.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=182646916

cougar gt-e
August 6, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hi-Power 9mm 15 round mag from Argentina for $299 + ship + FFL

http://www.southernohiogun.com/new-arrivals/argentine-hi-power-9mm.html

"Used by the Argentine Government, these hi-power 9mm pistols are in very good condition. Fixed, 3 dot sights and 15 round capacity"

nefprotector
August 6, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ruger P95 9mm, $329 out the door brand new. DAMN GOOD GUN!

S&W Sigma $319 Brand new out the door. Both made in the USA. Both Reliable and PROVEN.

2cooltoolz
August 6, 2010, 06:43 PM
One more recommendation for the Ruger P95. You might move on to nicer, prettier, smaller, sexier handguns, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better one. It's a keeper, even if you move on.

Inhimwelive
August 6, 2010, 07:48 PM
bdb thats a great deal on the Bersa! Ps I sent you a message..

raftman
August 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'd take a look at the Zastava M88. They're available for under $300, sometimes even under $250. They're a more compact version of the battle-proven Tokarev pistol with an updated safety and chambered for 9mm. They don't have amazing fit and finish but are regarded as very reliable, durable handguns. They're something of a hidden gem, the way I see it.

lee n. field
August 6, 2010, 08:36 PM
-Any other suggestions for a cheap 9mm for under $400 that I should consider?

P-series Ruger comes right to mind. P85, P89 or P95.

oneloudvous
August 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
Sigma 9VE

tomwalshco
August 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
I would agree with the gents about the Bersa. I think you'd be pleased with any of their 9s.

And as far a Hi-Point, if I was hurting for dough and needed a cheap 9mm, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. A lot of guys can make those things purr like a kitten. Had one, enjoyed it very much at the range. Gave it away and miss it sometimes. Customer service is outstanding. Made in the USA, too if that matters to ya.

But as they say - owning a Hi-Point is like owning a scooter, they're fun until somebody sees you with it....

Distortion
August 6, 2010, 09:30 PM
I got a used SIG P6 (http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/sig-p6-p225-9mm-caliber,-semi-auto-pistol,-g-vg-/products_id/1903) from a local gunshow for $300, and a used CZ-75BD (http://czcustom.com/CZ-75BD-PolyCoat-9mm.aspx) from Cabela's used gun library (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/gun/gun-home.jsp?hierarchyId=10468&cm_re=LeftNav_Other*GunLibrary*080610) for $350.

Eghad
August 6, 2010, 09:33 PM
At the Range a friend rented the Ruger SR9 I shot it and was really impressed with it. Those S&W are going for a little over $300 and are not bad either.

If you can find a good used gun that has some holster wear and a cosmetic blemish or two that would work also.

If you don't mind a little research you can come up with a deal.

one place I look on the internet is J&G Sales. I have picked up some S&W revolvers for about $220.00 plus $18 shipping and a $10.00 transfer fee at the local FFL.

They have some FM Argentines for $299 This a Hi Power Clone. From what I have gotten from them when it said VG condition that is exactly what I got.

Mr. Davis
August 6, 2010, 09:47 PM
CDNN has the Springfield XD in 9mm advertised for just over $400 in their latest email ($409 I think). It's a steal at that price.

Eghad
August 6, 2010, 10:12 PM
I was going through the for sale forum

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4185692&posted=1#post4185692

Kahr CW9 for $330 is a fair deal.

melcob
August 6, 2010, 10:18 PM
Taurus Slim

obxned
August 6, 2010, 11:33 PM
I don't think you can beat the Bersa for reliability, accuracy, and price. It is an outstanding value. They are also an easy pistol to shoot well, due to good sights and a great trigger.

Major Beef
August 7, 2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I have compiled a list based on the input from this thread. Hope this helps someone out there. I'll be doing some additional research and deal hunting before my next 9mm. I'll be taking a long hard look at Ruger P95, Bersa Thunder 9 Full/UC Pro, American Tactical AT92, S&W 5906 and other S&W third gens.

Ruger P95 and S&W 5906 are running away with the vote at the moment.

Feel free to vote or add guns to the spreadsheet. Vote for as many gun as you like, but PLEASE only vote once per gun. Add new bargain pistols if warranted.

Your votes/mentions have already been tallied up to post #52.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoL9BCHhus85dF9OOV9pNDJ1ZWhnQ3dMenl4VkVFWlE&hl=en&authkey=CMau5bMP

N.H. Yankee
August 7, 2010, 06:46 AM
I've owned the 5906 and found it to be on the heavy side, the problem is it gets old and you tend to carry it less and less after a while. Excellent home or car gun, and not as bad on a full size duty belt. The 3913 is easy to carry but has limited capacity.

I own Sigs, CZ's, a HK USP, and numerous pistols, I carry a XD subcompact 9mm almost always unless hiking in the woods I then carry my XDm 40cal. I have found the XD series to be reliable and very accurate and easy to carry.

Esteban32696
August 7, 2010, 07:34 AM
Since you want it for a RANGE gun ;
I don't own one of these, so I am not biased. A friend has one & I have never seen ANY semi more dependable & are worth their price.
Too heavy to carry concealed,,,, for that , I will vote Kel Tec P9, or P11.

Rugers - P85,89, etc.

Onward Allusion
August 7, 2010, 06:12 PM
You can't go wrong with either the P95 or 5906. It depends on whether you like polymer more or heavy solid steel. I think one advantage the P95 has is that it has a rail. Both are clunky for carry. Both will last a long time, although I think the S&W has the advantage when shooting heavier loads.

radioflyer
August 7, 2010, 06:13 PM
As much as I hate the feel, the Taurus 24/7 Millinium pro my mother got as her first gun has functioned surprisingly well. Picked it up at academy for $399 on sale.

UniversalFrost
August 8, 2010, 09:53 AM
you can score a used beretta 92fs if you really really look for one in the $300-350 range.

it will be most likely an ex cop gun with lots of holster wear, but will likely have not so many rounds down range.

or same can be said for a 226 or a glock 17... I scored a well used g19 2 pin 2nd gen awhile back for 275 because it was well worn. just send it to glock and for 40 bucks they will restore it and replace everything in it and basically you have a new gun .

also check your local shops.

lots of police trade in's have been hitting the market recently from all the major makers.

JOE

gatopardo
August 8, 2010, 10:23 AM
Get yourself a hipoint c9, that baby rules the range, is a good instructional gun to teach someone, recoil is decent, and if it brakes you just send it back, in one week you get it already fixed.
It is a little massive, but is fun to shoot, ask around.

It'll cost you half as much as you want to spend, because of the warranty it'll last forever, use the rest of the lunch money for 9mm's
http://ninjalawncare.biz/sensorycue/images/c-9.jpg

This one has a ghost ring but cut in half and then glow-on.com phosphorescent media applied to it, not many guns you can do this to:D
http://ninjalawncare.biz/sensorycue/images/a-pistol.JPG

Major Beef
August 8, 2010, 07:34 PM
I've never heard of Hi Point before, the gun is ugly but the price is definitely attractive. However, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble of sending a gun back and forth. I did a quick google search and it seems the gun has a lot of problems.

liberty 1
August 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
Taurus PT92:D

sonnycrockett
August 9, 2010, 04:26 AM
for 300.00 Id get a Ruger P95..........
Made in USA,accurate and easy to shoot like all Rugers

No reason to but used ,trade in or a gun from a third world country

RevJim
August 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
For the price and quality, you cannot beat a SigPro. The SigPro 2022 is a great gun - very accurate and very reliable. I have put thousands of rounds through my gun and it has been perfectly reliable. I have let several people shoot it to get accustomed to a .40 pistol, and it has never jammed for any of them, including several people who have never shot a gun before! I bought mine slightly used for less than $300. The only negative thing about my gun is, well, nothing! :cool:

UniversalFrost
August 12, 2010, 03:54 PM
gatopardo, thanks for the link to that sight paint, I just ordered some.

<<Response to deleted post>>

...the XD pistols they produce are great and mine are all keepers (have an XD45 service (stainless and FDE) and and XDm 9 with the 4 inch barrel as well.

radioflyer
August 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
+1 on the SigPro 2022. This was my first gun mostly due to price. Never had any problems with mine. My only issue was how it fit my hand. If your hand likes it, you'll be hard pressed to find a better gun for the price.

Major Beef
August 14, 2010, 01:22 PM
For the price and quality, you cannot beat a SigPro. The SigPro 2022 is a great gun - very accurate and very reliable. I have put thousands of rounds through my gun and it has been perfectly reliable. I have let several people shoot it to get accustomed to a .40 pistol, and it has never jammed for any of them, including several people who have never shot a gun before! I bought mine slightly used for less than $300. The only negative thing about my gun is, well, nothing!

Hmm... interesting suggestion, never thought a Sig would be mentioned in a cheap gun thread with the exception of LE trade-ins, under $300 is an awesome deal though, don't know if many people would have success replicating a deal like that

Leejack
August 14, 2010, 02:25 PM
If cheap is paramount, then the mighty sigma is a good candidate.

It just works, it's that simple!

WVsig
August 14, 2010, 03:08 PM
Right now the Sig Pro SP2022 and the FN9P are both everywhere for right at $400 NIB. IMHO you are not going to beat these two for reliability and accuracy.

http://moreas.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2007/02/sig-sauer-sp-2022.1172653894.jpg

http://www.finspawn.com/concordia/GI10056.jpg

Major Beef
August 14, 2010, 03:46 PM
FNP 9 is a little more expensive than Sig Pro 2022. I like the gun though, I paid a little more to get the FNX 9.

FNP 9 for $514 on Budgunshop, $415 & up on gunbroker.com
Sig Pro 2022 for $399.95 on Topgunsupply, $350 & up on gunbroker.com

On a different note, found some Smith & Wesson 5904 trade-ins for $248, seems like a decent deal with 5906 trade-ins going for around $300-350.
1) http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=979927
2)Then search "5904"

WVsig
August 14, 2010, 04:21 PM
Please show me the $350 NIB Sig Pro Sp2022??? The lowest prices I have seen are the $$399 from Top Gun and Academy Sports.

The FNP 9 is right there at $400 for the USG and on occasion you can find and new old stock one in Black for that price.

Major Beef
August 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
Please show me the $350 NIB Sig Pro Sp2022??? The lowest prices I have seen are the $$399 from Top Gun and Academy Sports.

The FNP 9 is right there at $400 for the USG and on occasion you can find and new old stock one in Black for that price.

My bad, Sig Pro 2022, used 300rds, night sights, 6 mags for $350... Since it's on Gunbroker, it'll probably keep getting bid up anyway.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=184108196

WVsig
August 14, 2010, 04:30 PM
No problem at all. I was just curious because at $350 NIB I would have to consider another one. LOL

Honestly right now at $399 from people like Top Gun the Sig P2022 is a steal even without the night sights the older ones had. The funny thing is that they could not give move these guns in their earlier form the SP 2009.

Once the French bought a ton of them via contract and the economy of scale kicked in Sig priced them rock bottom and they have become popular. Kind of like what happened to the HS2000 before it became the XD. Basically the same gun new name better marketing and then they move.

Major Beef
August 14, 2010, 04:47 PM
The Sig pro is tempting, but the my FN kinda fills the $400-500 niche for now. I got a used S&W 5904 for $250 for the <$300 niche. I think I'll get a Sig, like a P226/229 when I'm ready to fill a higher niche.

RickE
August 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
Afew in the price range (or close to it) come to mind.
1) The Bersa is a good new choice.
2) Ruger SR9c About $400. New.
3) Taurus 709 (slim) 9. A little under $400. New.

The Bersa is bound to be priced less than the two above. I have never owned one, but they seem to be reliable and a good value. At $400 and under, I like the Ruger. If you want a slim (inexpensine/new) 9 for CCW, the 709 looks like a winner. Happy hunting!

Patches
August 14, 2010, 08:05 PM
I know I posted a while back, saying I had my choice narrowed to a cz or a glock, but I ended up with a slightly used Bersa Thunder 9 for 300. It shoots well, 100 rounds no major problems just once the slide stayed back, but a little oil should solve that. I would recommend you take a hard look at one.

abelacres
August 15, 2010, 12:07 AM
I hate to admit it...but...I own a highpoint 9mm...:eek:

I've never had any problems with mine, it shoots fine but it's really heavy considering it's mostly plastic.

That being said I wish I had spent the extra and bought a S&W, Ruger or a Tarus. You can get a lot more gun for just a little bit more money.

Major Beef
August 15, 2010, 03:32 AM
@patches re: bersa

Bersa is good value, but doesn't look very appealing to me, it came down to Bersa vs Ruger vs S&W for me and i just went by looks and the fact that S&W 3rd gens are all metal... maybe i'll hold a Bersa someday and decide i have to have it... For now, I'll have to make do with the used S&W 5904 that I hunted down for $290 out the door.

triplebike
August 15, 2010, 09:49 AM
You did good, real good. They go for $100 more in my area. Great gun too, one of the best out there. Congrats!

sonnycrockett
August 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
Cheap or High Value ?

Tabdog
August 15, 2010, 10:25 AM
This thread comes just after I paid $300 for a pistol that is
amazing me with it's reliability and accuracy,

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/dcb1265/9-08/8-14-8-1.jpg

I have 400 flawless rounds through it. It was just 6 months
old and the guy that sold it to me, never even filled out the
warranty card,

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/dcb1265/9-08/8-13-3.jpg

It had less 500 rounds through it. It is like a new gun,

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd296/dcb1265/9-08/8-14-9-1.jpg

It is a large weapon. If you are looking for a pocket cannon,
this ain't it,

Tabdog

Elvishead
August 15, 2010, 02:47 PM
Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus!:D

Tabdog
August 20, 2010, 05:13 PM
[Quote by Elvishead]Friends don't let friends buy a Taurus![Quote]

Do you like bashers???

Most mature folks don't.

Check out the most disappointing handguns question on this forum.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251141

According to FiringLine users, Glock, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Sig Sauer,
Beretta, KelTec and others all got more votes than Taurus handguns.

Most of those folks are grown-ups.

Are you over 18 ???

I am not a Taurus lover,

But,

GIVE ME A BREAK!!@!

I am sorry if I hurt your feelings,

Tabdog

raftman
August 20, 2010, 08:20 PM
Look into getting one of these. I like mine a lot, NIB it cost me $325. Plus it carries more cool factor on account of its relative obscurity. The people that have 'em all seem to like 'em.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c306/HoboFactory/dac.jpg?1282353295

Major Beef
August 20, 2010, 08:54 PM
Tabdog, that is a beautiful gun for only $300. I'm sure Elvishead was just joking and didn't mean anything by it.

raftman, I've never seen or heard of this gun before. From my quick googling, it looks like a Bulgarian Browning Hi-Power clone. Seems like $325 NIB is a good deal, going for a little more than that on GB.

I like less popular, more underrated/overlooked guns, but this one might be a little too obscure IMO.

triplebike
August 20, 2010, 10:25 PM
84 posts and no one has recommended the Stoeger 8000?????? Probably the best 9MM handgun value available, $369 NIB. A Beretta designed handgun built on Beretta machinery. Search the web, try & find a negative review.

Mine has over 2300 rds fired without a SINGLE MALFUNCTION. No noticeable wear anywhere on the gun.

http://hueysgunsight.blogspot.com/2008/05/stoeger-cougar-8000-9mm-beretta-on.html

B.N.Real
August 20, 2010, 10:43 PM
Ruger P95.

I bought two when they were used for $225 each.

One has a manual safety and one is a decocker only model.

I bought two fifteen round Ruger mags at close to fifty bucks each,'Ouch' but they are reliable feeders,well built too.

Of the two,the manual safety model is so tight and accurate and insanely easy to shoot well,I don't think I can part with it.

The decocker model is a little more used but still a very reliable and accurate service grade gun.

Just like a revolver actually.

No manual safety,you load it rack the slide once and let her sit there till needed.

Both guns are well made American classics that don't have to apologize to anyone for how much they can be trusted to work when needed.

Major Beef
August 20, 2010, 10:44 PM
84 posts and no one has recommended the Stoeger 8000?????? Probably the best 9MM handgun value available, $369 NIB. A Beretta designed handgun built on Beretta machinery. Search the web, try & find a negative review.

Someone beat you to it, I overlooked it and didn't add it to the list.

raftman
August 20, 2010, 11:09 PM
I like less popular, more underrated/overlooked guns, but this one might be a little too obscure IMO.

It may seem that way, but Arcus is actually a well-regarded manufacturer that make a good product and takes quality very seriously. I'd trust Arcus above Kel-Tec or a Taurus, for example. I'm not knocking Kel-Tec or Taurus, I do own and carry a Kel-Tec, and wouldn't necessarily object to a Taurus either, depending on the model.

Amin Parker
August 20, 2010, 11:27 PM
Taurus pistols are not bad, i have a AF 99 that i shoot from time to time but never carry, i only believe in the Browning for that purpose.

The pistol that really suprised me was a silly norinco 213 that i bought years ago to test my reloads with. After a few months i realised that this is the ' little gun that could'.
I didnt buy it to carry or for any other reason than to test reloads and am really impressed with what i got for the price. It is very reliable. I just thought ill share this useless info on the little norinco :)

As far as good quality, reliable 9mm pistols go, the cz 75 is the one i notice is the most consistently reliable pistol at a good price. You simply cannot go wrong with this pistol.

8shot357
December 15, 2010, 08:59 AM
Get A S&W Sigma!:rolleyes:

pelo801
December 15, 2010, 07:43 PM
just wanted to throw my two cents in about the arcus. i have one and love it. never had a problem with it, it's plenty accurate, and the recoil is mild compared to some of my other 9mms. i think it's a good deal. but i'll say it again, you can't beat the zastava m88 for the price.

Jehzsa
December 15, 2010, 08:04 PM
Another vote for the Arcus.

All steel, weighs a ton and built to last four generations.

The two that I've owned were fired straight out of the box. Amazing how liquified cosmoline can turn when heated. No hiccups. None. Zilch. Nada.

Adamantium
December 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
If you are looking for a quality affordable 9mm pistol times are better than they have ever been. I own a Ruger P95 and P90 (45acp) and I love them both, so my vote goes for a Ruger P series. You could be a new P95 or a used P85/89/93/94 for about the same price. It all about new vs used and plastic vs metal frame. Pick your poison.

On Taurus: I own a taurus and it has given me a few thousand rounds of reliable use. Too bad it is their 22lr revolver otherwise I would recommend it to you. :)

Miata Mike
December 15, 2010, 10:12 PM
Ruger P95 new, or a used Ruger P89.