PDA

View Full Version : First Time Caster

scsov509
August 1, 2010, 12:45 AM
Just wanted to give a quick word of thanks for all the exceptional info in this forum. I've been handloading for quite a while now, but just finally decided to take the plunge into casting in the last year. So for the past 8 months I've been accumulating wheel weights from a few friends at church and reading lots to get up to speed on this new facet of reloading. Yesterday my brother-in-law and I took the whole day and set to work smelting, and I was exceptionally pleased with the results.

We used an old camp stove for our heat source (garage sale, $5, converted it from white gas to propane for another $5 in parts), a dutch oven I picked up for $16, a variety of second hand kitchen tools (ladle, slotted spoon, etc), and some muffin pans for our ingots. We spent good money on a casting thermometer, and other than that I think we're about $60 into everything we used. We started out petrified that we were going to mess something up and get zinc in our alloy, but figured out in a whole hurry that it was not all that complicated as long as we monitored our heat constantly. Turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun, much more than I had anticipated, and we walked away with about 180 pounds of good wheelweight alloy when all was done. I even got to weld for the first time since we decided to build stand to keep our dutch oven off the camp stove grate. :D

So like I said, thanks to all for a ton of excellent information in this forum. We've got a family wedding this next week, but are planning to try our hand at casting bullets the following week. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions once we get into that, and look forward to interacting with you all as we learn this new part of our shooting/reloading hobby. Thanks again...:D

DiscoRacing
August 1, 2010, 07:42 AM
scsov509 says

thanks to all for a ton of excellent information in this forum

Ya dont have to thank us.... be thankful that we didnt charge you by the pound!;)

Good luck casting...Keep us posted on how they turn out.:D

TXGunNut
August 1, 2010, 08:53 AM
Way to go, scsov! Similar background, I took the plunge recently to supply decent bullets for my BPCR. Haven't got into smelting yet, still accumulating equipment and WW's. No fun if you just walk into Wally World and buy new stuff. ;)
Welcome to the asylum! From what I gather this game isn't just exciting for us newbies, the old-timers still have fun with this! :D
One question, why did you get away from white gas?

armoredman
August 1, 2010, 10:13 AM
Have fun with it! I am low volume, cast about 100-150 at a time, but that's what keeps me shooting.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
August 1, 2010, 11:32 AM
We are glad you found the forum useful! As Tex said, welcome to the asylum!

scsov509
August 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
One question, why did you get away from white gas?

Convenience mostly. I still have the white gas tank if I elect to use it in the future, but I already had an old stinger and adaptor for larger propane tank. So there was not cost to me and I figured it would be easier than having to refill the white gas tank repeatedly.

GP100man
August 1, 2010, 07:07 PM
Just wait - - - - - - then you`ll be hooked !!!!!!

& lurkin in wal mart parkin lots trollin for a lost WW, just to find a zinc 1 !!!!

zippy13
August 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
I am low volume, cast about 100-150 at a timeā€¦
Bullets or pounds of alloy? ;)