PDA

View Full Version : Newb help...shopping for M1a, is this an ok deal?

EMAW
July 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
I am in the market for an M1a Standard and found one at a local gun store for $1450. Is this a decent enough deal? The guy wouldn't budge an inch on price so I am just looking for some recommendations on whether I should take the plunge or continue shopping around.

Thanks in advance for your help.

oldone
July 25, 2010, 04:08 PM
Take a look on the Rifles for sale in this forum, you just might be suprised!:rolleyes:

chris in va
July 25, 2010, 07:49 PM
Seems a bit high to me, but I'm not too savvy with M1a's. If it were me I'd make darn sure the thing was match grade with a few extra hot rodding goodies.

Shane Tuttle
July 25, 2010, 07:54 PM
Get into the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) if you're looking for a standard M1A. You'll be able to get one for less than half that.

chris in va
July 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
The CMP sells M1A's now?:eek:

SVO
July 27, 2010, 01:04 AM
Around here, NIB standard Springfield M1A's go for $1400 - $1500 depending on dealer. A Springfield "Loaded" goes for about $100 more. A Springfield "Supermatch" adds about another $1000.00. I would say $1450.00 is about the going price for a rack grade model.

Wilkenstein
July 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
The CMP sells M1A's now?

No, they don't. I think Tuttle might be getting his guns mixed up.

Longdayjake
July 28, 2010, 11:52 AM
M1A's are pretty easy to find for a couple hundred dollars less than dealers are selling them for. Just try out gunbroker.

Here is a used one with a little bit of "issues" but I doubt they affect the gun in any way and I know you could easily fix that surface rust.

Both of these are loaded versions for cheaper than the one you are looking at.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181364682

Or this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181418784

Here is a standard that looks used but it looks like a good deal. However, I don't know what a stainless steel lined barrel is.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181746519

RimfireChris
July 28, 2010, 12:00 PM
That's about $100 more NIB than they go for here abouts, but it's hard to compare when you're not sure if it's the "exact" same rifle. I've seen them online for less though, so if you're not in a hurry, I'd shop around a bit.

kraigwy
July 28, 2010, 02:07 PM
Get into the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) if you're looking for a standard M1A. You'll be able to get one for less than half that.

CMP doesn't sell M1As or M14s, Just M1s and Carbines (ref gas guns). The Carbines are about gone, and there wont be none after these are gone.

From what I've seen of M1As lately they've gone up quite a bit, I not sure, from what I've seen that $1450 price is too out of line.

darko
July 28, 2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_41/products_id/59287

$1284 New/shipped. Add a transfer fee at your local FFL and you will find this much cheaper, especially considering that you don't have to pay sales tax on it.

EMAW
July 29, 2010, 11:05 PM
Thank you all, I shopped a bit and using your supplied comparisons was able to negotiate a NIB M1a for $1250 at a local dealer.

So, now onto a new question which may be better for another forum but I'll go ahead a shoot.

I took it to the range today to try it out and discovered something I wasn't expecting....

My eye sight is not what it was when I shot on a regular basis as a kid. I had a bit of trouble focusing on the front sight clearly. Not impossible but dissapointing. I currently wear glasses which I suspect is the problem.

My question is: should I consider scoping it or simply start wearing contacts again?

velocette
July 30, 2010, 08:11 AM
EMAW;
Something that works for me. buy a pair of reading glasses from your local drug store. About 1.25 ~ 1.5 diopter. Using them, see how your front sight looks. This works for a lot of folks. I do NOT suggest that you take your
M1a into the store to test them though.

Roger

Shane Tuttle
July 30, 2010, 09:03 PM
CMP doesn't sell M1As or M14s, Just M1s and Carbines (ref gas guns). The Carbines are about gone, and there wont be none after these are gone.

No, they don't. I think Tuttle might be getting his guns mixed up.

Yep. I blew it. I wasn't even thinking about that little "A" for the suffix. An idiotic mistake on my part. :o

Carry on....nothing to see here....