PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Bullet Lube For .308 Win. Loads

riverwalker76
July 23, 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm looking to make a good lube for my .308 cast bullets. What are the requirements?

salvadore
July 23, 2010, 09:46 PM
I've been using dar lube 1lb parafin, 1lb vaseline with 1tbs stp. I don't worry about the stp. I use it in all my cast pistol bullets and in a 32/20 rifle @ 1700/1900fps. Works for me.

riverwalker76
July 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if the lube needs to be high temp.... meant for high speed ... etc ...

What requirements does the lube have to have? Does it need to be able to keep it's form at high speeds and temps?

Scorch
July 24, 2010, 02:17 AM
I always used Lyman Orange Magic, a friend of mine always used Rooster Red. You can blend your own, but cleaning lead out of a rifle barrrel is a pain. Use gas checked bullets, at the very least.

dahermit
July 24, 2010, 07:59 AM
I was wondering if the lube needs to be high temp.... meant for high speed ... etc ...No, the hard lubes that require a heater were invented to avoid stickiness; had nothing to do with rifle bullet lube requirements. The old NRA Alox formula lube works well, and does not present another variable into the process of finding an accurate cast bullet rifle load. However, if you want to make your own, there are several tested formulas that have worked well for casters; As mentioned, the Darr formula for instance.

riverwalker76
July 24, 2010, 11:29 AM
So ... as a rule of thumb should I stay away from really oily lube mixes?

I'm wanting to come up with a lube that isn't temperature sensitive. I want it to work good in 10 degree weather, and the same in 100 degree weather. I want to be able to use it in my Fall hunting loads, as well as, in my Summer long distance target loads.

Is there anything I should avoid .... other than Paraffin?

Edward429451
July 24, 2010, 12:13 PM
You know that cheese in the supermarket that is covered in that red wax?
It's good stuff. Eat the cheese and melt that red wax into the lube. I forget the name of it. Carnuba? Something like that.

riverwalker76
July 24, 2010, 12:31 PM
I have some carnauba wax. I have several pounds each of Carnauba wax, microcrysalline wax, and beeswax.