PDA

View Full Version : keeping m16 mags loaded

Come and take it.
July 22, 2010, 04:02 PM
I wanted to know what is a good number of rounds to keep in a 30 round quality magazine for an indefinitely long period of time.

nate45
July 22, 2010, 04:10 PM
I used to load 28, on the theory that I had a little extra spring power.

However, nowadays I just load the up to full capacity. If you study the structure of springs and the way they work. You will find that it is the working of springs that weaken them, most specifically, over stretching, or over compressing them. Leaving them in the loaded, or unloaded state has no effect on their shape retention.

austinjking
July 22, 2010, 04:12 PM
Maybe its because the magazines we use are old as dirt, but we never load them to the full 30 because they have a tendency to jam.

Ridge_Runner_5
July 22, 2010, 04:53 PM
Like Nate said, its loading and unloading them that wears the springs. They can stay compressed almost infinately...

azredhawk44
July 22, 2010, 04:58 PM
One of the best arguments for 28 I have heard, is when you do a "tactical" reload.

You shot 10-15 rounds and have a round in the chamber and the bolt closed. You eject the magazine, pocket the partial, and put a full mag in. The spring needs to compress a little bit because the bolt is closed. 30rds is harder to insert and securely fasten in place than a 28rd mag in such a situation.

Dfariswheel
July 22, 2010, 06:40 PM
The real risk with the aluminum or plastic AR-M16 magazines is that the mouth and lips of the mag may spread open under the constant spring pressure.

There was an article in a Shotgun News early this year in which the author tested a number of different brands and types of AR mags.
As I recall, at least one of them had mouth spread problems.
He also wrote something about someone using a home made gage to check for spread magazines.

I have 4 surplus military Okay Industries 30 round mags that I've had loaded for over 10 years.
A couple of weeks ago I shot one empty with no problems.
When compared to a brand new, unused magazine, the other 3 show no signs of mouth spread or bulging sides.

ScottRiqui
July 22, 2010, 06:51 PM
Dfariswheel is right on the money - it's not a spring issue at all.

The new 30-round P-mags have a removable clip that you can affix over the mouth of the magazine to keep pressure off the lips during storage, even when the magazine's fully-loaded.

Of course, it doesn't do anything for the extra pressure required to insert a fully-loaded magazine against a closed bolt.

Hoskins
July 22, 2010, 07:39 PM
azredhawk44 One of the best arguments for 28 I have heard, is when you do a "tactical" reload.

You shot 10-15 rounds and have a round in the chamber and the bolt closed. You eject the magazine, pocket the partial, and put a full mag in. The spring needs to compress a little bit because the bolt is closed. 30rds is harder to insert and securely fasten in place than a 28rd mag in such a situation.

Exactly!!!!