PDA

View Full Version : new to me mini 14 range session.

iblong
July 22, 2010, 01:53 PM
I picked up a 580 series mini 14 a few weeks ago and sighted in the iron's,last night I sighted in a scope.
Its not as accurate as my DPMS but Im happy with the results.
My hand loaded 55gr Hornady sp.shot into 1.5" at 100yds 5 shot groups.fairly cool barrel.
Federal 62gr fmj shot between 2.5-3"warm barrel
Herters(Russian)62gr hp. shot consistant at 2.0" even warm
I then ran 20rnds through rapid fire to heat the barrel,And ran
another 5 of my handloads through to see what happened with a hot barrel.It shot into 2.5" I expected much worse.The only work done was an action job.
All in all Im liking this little carbine,Its going to make a great little truck gun.
Bob.

demigod
July 22, 2010, 01:57 PM
1.5" out of a mini is nothing short of excellent. I should dust off my old mini (1981 model from my Dad) and see what I can get it to do.

iblong
July 22, 2010, 02:04 PM
I was happy but that was off a good rest and cool barrel.

Bamashooter
July 22, 2010, 02:18 PM
thats about right for that model of mini. i have a 580 series and with just a few mods it shoot consistant moa groups. it shot about like yours iblong before any mods. so it was a pretty good shooter out of the box like yours seems to be. i have some 60gr. sierra handloads that shoot very well out of my mini. 69gr. smk's also do pretty well. have fun and enjoy.

DnPRK
July 22, 2010, 09:03 PM
I've owned three mini-14s, and still own one. If you are getting 1.5" groups, then you have hit the jackpot. Keep that rifle and never sell it.

zombieslayer
July 23, 2010, 02:24 AM
I love my mini. Bet you didn't have any malfunctions in all that range testing did you?;)

iblong
July 23, 2010, 06:36 AM
Not even a hint of a problem,Ive wanted a mini for a long time.
I talked myself out of one many times due to the proclaimed accuracy problems.Then I deceided that I have some really accurate long range rifles,
So what the heck might just as well sratch that itch and get it out of my system.
Bob.

KMO
July 23, 2010, 07:55 AM
I talked myself out of one many times due to the proclaimed accuracy problems.

This image of the Mini-14 is not fully deserved, especially the newer models with the thicker tapered barrel, which are pretty accurate right out of the box. Even the older versions can be improved inexpensively.

demigod
July 23, 2010, 08:41 AM
This image of the Mini-14 is not fully deserved

In my opinion it is. There are lots of **** poor shooting Minis out there.... mine included. I believe the mini can be accurate, it's just not inherently accurate like the AR/M16 style rifle.

LukeA
July 23, 2010, 09:10 AM
There is no such thing as "inherent accuracy".

zombieslayer
July 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
Fwiw- both my minis came out of the box with better triggers than my AR's.

iblong
July 23, 2010, 09:39 AM
As far as triggers go I agree,My AR came out of the box with the worst trigger
of any rifle Ive owned.one range trip was enough to make me do a action job before serious sight in.
Bob.

riverwalker76
July 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
Try the Mini-14 Tactical (Model M-14/20GBCPC).

After trying one of these you will never go back to a traditional Mini-14.

My Mini-14 shoots .75" groups all day long with 68 gr. reloads. ;)

From my experience with Mini-14s ... the 16" barrel really allows it to shine! I think Ruger did a great job with the new Mini Tactical and took some consumers' advice on improving accuracy.

zombieslayer
July 24, 2010, 01:22 AM
Riverwalker is right (as usual!). I have a std. and a tactical and the tactical's 16" barrel works really well. Plus, its threaded. Mine shoots as accurately with irons as my AR's with irons.