PDA

View Full Version : Buying an M1 Garand

OleEd
July 6, 2010, 11:50 PM
I'm going on vacation to Michigan and will be passing by Camp Perry. I carried an M1 when I joined the Marines in 1960 till they ripped it away and gave me a brand new M14 in 63. fired better with the 14 but it never had the love and feel of the M1 and the "ping!". Carried the da M16 (matel gun) thru Nam till I retired in 84 but it never ever fired and felt like that M1... Loved and hated that rifle and loved it some more.

Question:

1. Know about the paperwork deal but can't find anything on actually going there and buying one with the associated application of course. Would someone enlighten me on this?

2. Also, what would be the tech stuff I should consider before I put down my money? Yes, I plan to buy one to fire at the range. Too bad I didn't think of this 20 - 40 years ago..

Thanks in advance.

sneaky pete
July 7, 2010, 04:01 AM
Sneaky Pete here: Call them up and ask away
Camp Perry--419-635-2141
Anniston Disribution Center--256-835-8455
Make sure you check out the muzzle & throat numbers for good shooters. THANX--SNEAKY:)

blume357
July 7, 2010, 06:08 AM
and just browse through what they have.... So, I think you will be happy.

I suspect what you do is down load all their various forms and get them filled out and notarized and send them ahead to them and have them check them out to make sure they are 'okay'. Then again, you could just show up with the forms...

Like posted above, I would give them a call and just ask.

I bought one through the mail from them (the Al. store) about 2 years ago and the paper work was not that difficult.

Tim R
July 7, 2010, 01:26 PM
I would look at a service grade or better. I bought a field grade from the North store in 07. Turns out it was about 3 parts from being WW2 correct and had the narrow front sight and lock bar rear sight. The reciever was sloppy in the stock.

Does this mean I'm looking for the parts to make it correct? No.....I'm not into that, I'm into a shooter.

If I were looking at rifles in the store, always buy the metal and not the wood. They also had muzzel gauges and if you asked the counter guy would check the throat for you.

I have several Springers, a H&R and a Winny. Now all I need is a tractor.

Good luck