PDA

View Full Version : help me build my AR-15

champ198
July 1, 2010, 09:24 AM
ok ill throw this out there...im wanting to build an AR from scratch...so im askin for some help from you all black rifle fans...help me build one.
it will mainly be used just for target shooting and thats really about it
i am very new to the AR stuff and trying to learn as much as i can with watching vids online and reading anything i can find about them...but there is so much stuff out there that its almost mind boggling and gets confusing some times
what i would like...rifle that will handle longer ranges...300-400 yards max really.....free floated barrel..flat top for mounting scoped optics
what i have on my parts list so far is
Spikes lower
DPMS parts kit
24" fluted 1:12 twist DPMS stainless barrel
Panther style grip
6 position colapsable stock
yankee hill rifle length quad rail forend
DPMS upper parts kit
DPMS Upper reciever A2 Flattop

What else am i gonna need?

champ198
July 1, 2010, 09:41 AM
almost forgot.........want to go as cheap as possible...but not junk parts either........kind of an oxymoron i know but what im wantin to do ;)

thesheepdog
July 1, 2010, 09:58 AM
Here's the parts you will need:

Barrel
Upper and lower
Bolt carrier group
Gas block
gas tube
gas tube roll pin
Forend-free float handguard with a barrel nut
flash hider (if your barrel is threaded)

demigod
July 1, 2010, 10:37 AM
For 3-400 yards, you could really get away with a barrel as short as 14.5". A 16" mid length might give you a lot more versatility.

I wouldn't go with a 1/12 twist because that leaves you stuck using lighter bullets. If you want to shoot varmint grenades mostly then go for it.

A 1/8 or 1/7 will allow you to shoot 55gr thru 77gr. Some of those heavier bullets can really be accurate.

champ198
July 1, 2010, 11:01 AM
ok thanks Demi...i thought it was the other way around for the heavier bullets needed more twist

thesheepdog
July 1, 2010, 11:16 AM
A 1:7 is MORE twist than a 1:12. 1:7 means "1 full bullet rotation every 7 inches" and 1:12 is just the same, except one full rotation every 12 inches

Technosavant
July 1, 2010, 11:56 AM
Why a quad rail forend on a long stainless barrel?

For precision work, you aren't needing to hang much of anything off of there. A simple (and far cheaper) free float tube handguard would suffice quite nicely.

thesheepdog
July 1, 2010, 11:57 AM
Troy battle rail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

champ198
July 1, 2010, 12:21 PM
sheepdog....im not farmiliar with that? i take it that its a forend? you got a link i could check it out?

and as for the Quad rail on a Long gun....i jsut think they look cool LOL

rjrivero
July 1, 2010, 12:43 PM
If you are building for a dedicated optic, go with a low profile gas block and a tube that covers it up. Much nicer look in my opinion, however, it will be a bit front tippy if you go with a long (24") Barrel.

I agree a 1:8 or 1:7 would be a better choice for heavier bullets, and if I was to build one today, it would absolutely have a 1:7 or 1:8 twist.

I would consider a 16" barrel with a mid length gas system if I was to build a rifle today.

thesheepdog
July 1, 2010, 01:12 PM
champ198

here you go

http://store.troyind.com/13_TRX_Extreme_BattleRails_p/strx-eli-s3bt-00.htm

This is what i have on my 6.5 SPR

champ198
July 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
thanks Sheep after some online work i found it.....after doin some more lookin im thinkin of ditchin the Quad rail...really dont need all the pickatiney rails so im thinkin im gonna go with this one
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=283439
has enough rail on the sides to mount a bipod on....havent found the bipod yet but i know i have seen them online where they have 2 seperate sides and they bolt to the pick on each side.

like i said this thing is really only gonna be used for target and fun shooting wont really have any other duties than that...when i build the second one ill do a 14"-16" barrel for home defence gun

thesheepdog
July 1, 2010, 01:48 PM
thanks Sheep after some online work i found it.....after doin some more lookin im thinkin of ditchin the Quad rail...really dont need all the pickatiney rails so im thinkin im gonna go with this one

No problem. Yeah, a tactical tube will be much more comfortable to use that a quad rail. YHM are nice, but there are better out there, unless you're on a tighter budget. But the YHM will be a good start.

champ198
July 1, 2010, 01:58 PM
Yea i am on a bit of a budget but still want to do it right with good stuff...i know that the Shilen barrels are great barrels but im sure the DPMS are as well...but for half the price...thats the kind of thing im goin for...want to build it cheap as possible...but still good stuff....this is my first time trying this and making sure that X part will work with Y is the hardest part cause i have honestly never even shot an AR but always wanted one...now im at the point i have the time and the space to do a build i would much rather build than buy

thesheepdog
July 1, 2010, 02:05 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=688404

Good barrel, my brother has one on his upper.

Shilens have a bit of waitting time, if i remember right.

Check our Lothar Walther barrels too, they're nice. I have one on my M4

RGR3/75
July 1, 2010, 02:08 PM
your lower parts kit and stripped lower, also the buffer tube, spring and buffer, you can go as cheap as possible. your money should be in your trigger and upper. i went with the dmps lower parts kit, it was like $50 or so, then bought a jp trigger which turned out to be more than my complete lower all together. I also bought a spikes lower. a cheap lower from a decent company is just fine. i got the spikes blem lower for $70.