PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand

Young.Gun.612
June 27, 2010, 08:29 PM
So just how difficult, and expensive is it to buy an M1 Garand? I'd love to own one, ut from what I've seen online there are a few loopholes to jump through.

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 08:41 PM
go here to read about the CMP requirememts.

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

Not too many hoops really but I bought mine from a gut at the local range.

ocdcr
June 27, 2010, 08:53 PM
I have spent alot of time reading on Garands recently. The CMP appears to be a great source, but have to be a member of a club they recognize to buy from them.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi

I have not joined one, but am planning on joining the Garand Collectors Association. http://www.thegca.org/

Other than CMP, there are lots out there on gun auction sites and prices range a good bit, from $500s to over $3000. Getting into the $1500+ range you are getting more of a collectable than a "shooter" unless it is a match rifle, from what I can tell. More knowlegdable users may add correct me or provide more info. A little FYI, to a point you get what you pay for and recently a bunch of surplus garands got released. They seem to be priced in the $400 range, but I have not heard good things at all about them. But, I have never seen one in person.
Also, as far as garands. Most all are 30-06, with a few .308 conversions out there. 30-06 is fairly expensive ammo (in my book) for alot of joy shooting, but again, CMP apparantly has some decent prices on 30-06 ammo. Overall not hard at all to get one, just have to search it out.

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
30-06 is fairly expensive ammo (in my book) for alot of joy shooting,

This is true unless you reload. Then it is pretty cheap to shoot although not quite as cheap as my bolt action 30-06 because the Garand (among other semi auto rifles) is pretty hard on brass. Also, if you do reload, when reloading for the Garand youare a bit limited on what you can do. Precautions must be taken to prevent slam fires and damage to the operating rod. I've been reloading for a number of years but am new to the Garand and at first I was a little dissapointed to find out the my standard 30-06 ammo will not work.

After the learning curve, my Garand is becoming my favorite rifle to shoot. Get one (try to get a good one that doesn't have a shot out bbl) and enjoy.

They are a blast and will work for most any North American big game if you are so inclined... otherwise it's great fun at the range. After my recent purchase I'm wondering why the heck it took me so long to get one.

ocdcr
June 27, 2010, 10:14 PM
Not to get off topic, but I do not reload and have considered starting to or getting a buddy to go into it with me. Aside from start up costs of reloading equipment, what is the range of cost per round of 30-06 reload?
The cheapest I can find it "new" is around $0.50/round.
Thanks

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 10:18 PM
I did some editing to my last post while you were posting... give me a minute and I'll try and give a rough estimate of my "per shot" cost.

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 10:43 PM
Not counting the initial (and as you'll find out... continuing) investment in equipment. Figures do not include tax or shipping and prices were taken from midwayusa.com. I buy primer/powder locally to avoid haz-mat shipping fees. Actually, I buy most of my stuff locally.

Bullet: 165 gr. Sierra SPBT Gameking = $26.49 per box of 100 or 26.49 cents each.

Brass: Remington package of 100 = $45.49, if you use each brass 5 times (Garand is hard on brass) they cost 9.1 cents per shot.

Powder: 1 lbs of IMR 4895 = $22.99, 7,000 grains per lbs; 47 grains per shot is 15.44 cents per shot.

Primer: CCI #34 (Mil Spec. primers) = 35.99 per 1,000 or 3.6 cents per shot

Grand total is 54.63 cents per shot. Of course this is hunting ammo and nothing bought in bulk. If you scrounge brassand buy powder/bullets in bulk the cost will go down, I just practice with hunting ammo.

kraigwy
June 27, 2010, 10:43 PM
If you don't reload, CMP sells '06 ammo fairly reasonabley, its good ammo for sevice ammo.

I agree Re-loading is best. Having reloaded for my Garand, M1A, and ARs for over 35 years I don't find semis, is loaded propertly, are that hard on brass.

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
Having reloaded for my Garand, M1A, and ARs for over 35 years I don't find semis, is loaded propertly, are that hard on brass.

Yeah, my Garand isn't horribly hard on brass, but still not as gentle as my bolt action. Plus, no neck sizing with semi auto so... A little more wear when resizing. I see we've gone way off topic (with my help); I'll cut it out and save it for the "skunkworks".:)

p.s. KraigWy, I'm from Green River but live in AK now. Ever hunt the Wind River range?

kraigwy
June 27, 2010, 10:54 PM
KraigWy, I'm from Green River but live in AK now. Ever hunt the Wind River range?

No Sir, I'm from Newcastle, I hunt the Black Hills or the Big Horns, but I'll like to get over there.

I did spend 22 years in Alaska and have hunted and fished there though.

ocdcr
June 27, 2010, 10:55 PM
My 0.50/round was based on CMP. But did not count for the $9-&16 S&H per can from CMP. That comes to about 0.55/round. Plus, I would have to become a member at a yearly cost of $25 to Garand Collector Assoc. AND, I'd miss out on the fun of learning to reload and doing custom loads.

And sorry for leading of OP topic

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 11:04 PM
ocdcr,
I'm pretty sure that you need not join a club if you are former military and can send a copy of your DD-214. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Kraigwy, ever hunt the Absaroka range? I never got a chance to. IIRC it is as remote as you can get in the lower 48.

I love AK but miss the hunting in Wyoming. Way cheaper for the average Joe.

kraigwy
June 27, 2010, 11:07 PM
Per the CMP website: In Lieu of Club Membership.........

In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees.

wyobohunter
June 27, 2010, 11:11 PM
So, do you have to be currently serving or does former but non retiree service (with proof) count? Sounds like the former (currently serving) or you must be a retiree.

I'd miss out on the fun of learning to reload and doing custom loads.

Carefull friend, it's an addictive habit:D

Young.Gun.612
June 27, 2010, 11:27 PM
So just, join a recognized club, have proof of marksmanship training, and the money and I'm good? Ok, cool. I didn't realize .30-06 was so expensive. I always assumed it was a common hunting/sport shooting caliber.

wyobohunter
June 28, 2010, 01:22 AM
I always assumed it was a common hunting/sport shooting caliber.

It one of the the most common but you can't shoot any ol' 30-06 through the M1 or you will likely damage the operating rod or risk an out of battery slam fire. There are a few options for the Garand: 1- a couple companies make new factory "M1 Garand" loads, 2- buy military surplus stuff or 3- reload.

That being said, it is a great rifle, fun as heck at the range and a worthy hunter not to mention a piece of American history that you can hold in your hands and still put to good use.

kraigwy
June 28, 2010, 08:47 AM
PS:

I just got the ruling from the CMP's chief operations officer.

Regarding Citizenship, Experience with firearms, Clubmembership.

all you need now is the retired military ID

Clark500
June 28, 2010, 11:24 AM
So, do you have to be currently serving or does former but non retiree service (with proof) count? Sounds like the former (currently serving) or you must be a retiree.

Your non-retiree DD214 will serve as proof for these:

Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Proof of Age
Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity

But not this one:

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization

An active, guard/reserve or retired military ID will work for all 4 requirements.

P5 Guy
June 28, 2010, 12:30 PM
Could not and never have been easier to comply with than they are today.
www.odcmp.com Go, check it out for yourself. And there are two stores one can visit. Aniston AL and Port Clinton OH and the National Match will also have a CMP booth at Camp Perry.

Orlando
June 28, 2010, 07:44 PM
You think .50 per rd surplus is expensive, have you looked at the cost of commercial 30.06 lately? You will be glad surplus is available

Another option other than the GCA is the M1 Collectors Club. Its only $14.0 per year and runs for a whole year from the time you join .
https://m1collectorsclub.com/Home.php
The GCA runs from Sept-Sept no matter when you join. So if you would join today it would cost you $25.00 for 2 months

ocdcr
June 28, 2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the info on the M1 collectors club. I noted that about GCA, was gonna hold off until sept to join. No ammo is cheap anymore, except .22. I see some commercial rounds for 30-06 at about $14/20 rounds. But, as I am learning (remember I am quite new to the technical aspects of firearms/ammo) there is tremendous variation in ammo. I think I need to search posts as far as what is safe for Garand shooting and what to avoid. I have not shot mine, yet. But, was planning on using Winchester Super-X power or soft point until I could get some surplus. Also have some Prvi partizan I got years ago --- 20 rds for 6.95.

Orlando
June 28, 2010, 08:31 PM
I'll give you a fast rundown on Garand food.
No commercial ammo of any kind with the exception, Federal and Hornady both make a Garand specific round. Its very pricey though, well over $1.00 per rd
You can use commercial ammo if you install a adjustable gas screw to bleed off excess pressure.
Some guys will tell you it is fine to shoot commercial ammo ,they have done it for years etc. I'm telling you not to with the gas screw, its your decision
Get surplus from CMP

Annihilator
July 2, 2010, 04:15 PM
CMP is the way to go!

CjAl
July 2, 2010, 09:03 PM
does having a c&r license make you not have to met the marksmanship requirement? I read it somewhere recently

Wilkenstein
July 2, 2010, 09:21 PM
CMP also ships strait to your door, at least they used too.

TX Hunter
July 3, 2010, 09:49 AM
I just got a paper from Southern Ohio Gun, and they have M1 Garands for $450 thats the best price I have seen on them.

SfcMac
July 3, 2010, 10:46 AM
If you can get a Garand thru SOG as TX Hunter says Than I say go for it.For one thing you won't pay any less at CMP unless you buy a carbine. moreover CMP will take almost 3 months to get it to you(This is their posted shipping time) while SOG will probaby have it to you in a week. I don't own a Garand and don't want one I collect the old bolt action milsurps, but I am thinking of buying an SKS,or the Hakim. I'll tell you what I wish I had the money to buy
I would dearly love to own a Thompson

TX Hunter
July 3, 2010, 11:38 AM
New Shipment, New Lower Price U.S. M1 Garands!
These are historic battle rifles from WW2 and Korea. These rifles are machanically fine, original finish and wood that is in good condition. Some wear on metal and dings in wood and will clean up better with a little TLC. lenght 43", 24"barrel, adjustable rear shight, weight 9.5lbs
new price $429.00:)
Here is their website, good luck.
http://www.southernohiogun.com/

olyinaz
July 3, 2010, 01:32 PM
I don't own a Garand and don't want one

Which, with all due respect, is why your advice on the matter is less than helpful.

To the person who asked: Spend a small sum more and get a CMP Garand shipped directly to your door. It will not have a fugly importer's stamp on it, it will be in better condition, and it will unquestionably be a shooter.

I have two CMP Garands and both shoot really well and look great. The SOG Garands I have seen have been so worn and rattly that they were good only to introduce a person to the M1 and not much else in my view unless a person is going to use the parts as a starting point to build one up.

Instant gratification will last only a short time but a good, quality M1 Garand will bring a lifetime of enjoyment.

Oly

SfcMac
July 3, 2010, 02:32 PM
Why must I have to keep defending myself? I DON'T COLLECT THE GARAND.
THEREFORE I DON'T WANT THE GARAND AND WHAT'S MORE I DON'T LIKE THEM. YOU LIKE THE GARAND, FINE BY ALL MEANS COLLECT THEM AND SHOOT THE DAMN THINGS. FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE STUFF I COMPETE WITH IS VINTAGE MILSURP OR CIVILIAN. AND SOME OF MY RIFLES ARE HISTORICAL ANTIQUES!!! IS THAT OK WITH YOU OLINAZ??OR WHAT EVER YOUR NAME IS. TX HUNTER SAID THE SAME THING I SAID, BUT YOU DIDN'T START SHOOTING AT HIM DID YOU??? NOW BACK THE HECK OFF ME I'M ENTITLED TO MY SAY. I GAVE THAT YOUNG MAN WHAT I DEEMED GOOD ADVICE.

Clark500
July 3, 2010, 03:34 PM
TXHunter,

SOG's flyer may still show Garands as available, but I'm pretty sure they've been out of stock for some time.

Young.Gun.612
July 3, 2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I searched for a Garand on SOG's website, and it returned no results.

How is it that CMP can ship a rifle straight to your door?

Clark500
July 3, 2010, 05:08 PM
How is it that CMP can ship a rifle straight to your door?

I believe because Congress says they can.

TX Hunter
July 3, 2010, 09:50 PM
That would be very upsetting to recieve an advertisement for a product that is not in stock.
Sorry, I was just trying to help.
The Garand is a hard firearm to obtain.
I respect my fellow shooters, and collectors.
Our taste, and preference in firearms may differ, but we have to learn to respect our fellow shooters.
Best Regards, and good luck.

TX Hunter
July 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
If this link works, looks very clean. http://www.gunsinternational.com/Smith-Corona-M1903A3-in-30-06.cfm?gun_id=10013607265

Guess you will have to trace it, and post it in your web browser to get it to work.
Here is the Regular Website. WWW.gunsinternational.com
Use this site, go to Military Rifles US, there are a few M1 Garands.

Young.Gun.612
July 3, 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone! I've decided to just go the CMP route, and I think I've found a club but I'll need to get another rifle or a revolver before. Oh well, excuse to buy another gun!

TX Hunter
July 3, 2010, 10:54 PM
Good luck Young Man.
I hope you get a nice one.

CjAl
July 3, 2010, 11:06 PM
what part of east TX you in TXhunter? I live north of woodville on 69

TX Hunter
July 3, 2010, 11:07 PM
North of Jasper, on 96 not too far from you.

Young.Gun.612
July 3, 2010, 11:11 PM
So these CMP guns are all surplus? As in they've been issued and seen duty in wartime? I can't wait to own a functional piece of history.

olyinaz
July 4, 2010, 12:02 AM
Yes Young.Gun, they're all U.S. surplus but as to whether or not they're combat veterans a lot will ride on luck and whatever they happen to be shipping at the time.

My first Garand from the DCM (now CMP) was a six-digit Springfield and as such it very likely did see service in WWII since it was made before the war and had been rebarreled at a federal arsenal in 1949. It's a great looking old war horse with lots of character in my view and it shoots great.

My second Garand, received about a year ago, is a 1950s vintage Springfield and it looks to have been very lightly used. As such I doubt that it's seen combat but the benefit of course is that it looks and shoots absolutely great.

Neither rifle cost me very much since I was willing to do what it takes to purchase through the government and both are nicer than the import stamped junk I often seen floating into gun shops and wholesale sites.

Good luck to you!

Best,
Oly

ASUdevil22
July 4, 2010, 01:29 AM
Oly,

Being in AZ, do you have any recommendation for one local CMP qualifying organization over another? I would like to purchase through CMP and at the same time be a member in an active and productive organization since that's part of the process anyway.

Orlando
July 4, 2010, 06:01 AM
YoungGun
Heres a club to join, simply send in your $14.00 https://m1collectorsclub.com/Home.php
That will fullfill the club mmembership portion ,then you only need to fullfill the fireams activity requirements.
There has been alot of misinformation givin in this post.
It does not take 3 months to get a Garand from CMP. They are running approx 30 days from the time they receiver your order
SOG Garands are Import marked and beat to heck. Alot of guys that have bought them either sent them back or had to get them rebarreled, reparked and replaced the stock.They are not worth it
A CMP Garand is in much better condition and not Import marked.
My suggestion is to order atleast a Service grade, you will get a good shooter. Dont forget to order ammo
Good Luck
Here are a few of my CMP Garands
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MVC-008S-1.jpg

SfcMac
July 4, 2010, 08:26 AM
This is why I really want to hold on to My M1917 She is real history, and the rifle that Sergeant alvin T York actually carried when he won the CMH

Young.Gun.612
July 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
What are the grades available to order from?

Orlando
July 4, 2010, 11:42 AM
Everything you need to know is covered on the CMP website
http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
For you first Garand I recommend that you get a Service Grade or beter.
If you want a rifle to casually shoot at the range I recommend a Service Grade

Young.Gun.612
July 4, 2010, 02:49 PM
Based on what I read, I have to agree. Service grade sounds like exactly what I want.

olyinaz
July 4, 2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, Service Grade is the way to go. I saved a few bucks my first and ordered a Field Grade and while it's still far nicer than anything I've seen from SOG and shoots well it's no where near as nice as my Service Grade.

Sun Devil: I'm an ASU man myself (Go Devils!) but I'm down in Tucson. I belong to the Pima Pistol Club and it satisfies membership for CMP but the better club in Tucson for M1 and other match shooting is the Tucson Rifle Club. If you're up in the Phoenix area as I suspect then I'm afraid I don't know much for you because I've not lived up there for over 20 years now.

Good luck!

Oly

ASUdevil22
July 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the reply oly...yeah I am Phoenix. So we'll see what's out there...I am interested in maybe doing an appleseed event too. Too many plans, not enough time.

Chris_B
July 6, 2010, 05:06 PM
Whew...glad you went CMP, and I agree, the Service Grade is most likely your best bet

A 450 dollar M1 rifle is going to be...drumroll please...a 450 dollar milsurp rifle.

A CMP rifle will be tested by the CMP, and the CMP stands behind their sales. I have had good luck with SOG, mind; my P.38 was so nice when I got it, well, I couldn't believe it actually

But the CMP is different. Would SOG, a company I would do business with again incidentally, send me a new bullet guide (clips would not load easily) and toss in a milled trigger guard because I mentioned I liked them better than the stamped one that came on the rifle, all for no cost at all?

I doubt it. But the CMP did :). And they didn't give me a lot of nonsense about how the bullet guide wasn't the problem, either. Five days later the parts showed up, I installed the replacement guide and...zero problems since. I like the way the CMP handled that

Now, Young Gun, when the rifle shows up, it probably will have new wood on it. If it does, I suggest a product called 'Fairtrimmer's Military oX':

http://www.fairtrimmers.com/index.html

if it does not, if the rifle has old beat up ugly USGI wood, do not panic. Remember two things:

1) that USGI stock is inlet properly. If it locks up well (meaning the trigger group, when installed into the receiver when that is mounted in the wood, it should be a fit on the tight side of snug) and has no cracks, then the stock works, and that's important

2) If it looks like Godzilla crapped it out after a trip to Tacobell, it can be saved. I've done two M1 rifle stocks that looked like that and two M1 carbine stocks that looked bad, one so bad it seemed as if it had been dragged home after WWII and then used to hit rocks. And the good news it, it will only take a few hours :)

My own M1 rifle's stock looked so awful there was actually an instant in which I wanted to send it back, but I figured 'I paid for the metal, not the wood'. The stock looked like it had been used to stir a pot of boiling tar

Here it is now; good shooter. 1944 receiver, 1946 barrel. It did something during WWII that got it rebarreled...training? Action? I'll never know. I'm afraid of dropping it...I might dent the floor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/m1rec.jpg

Young.Gun.612
July 6, 2010, 06:47 PM
Are there any website as to care and upkeep of a Garand? I'm fairly novice to guns, and it sounds like this old milsurp needs a little TLC to manage. Not that I mind, I mean, they're beautiful guns. I just want to know what I'm in for ahead of time.

Orlando
July 6, 2010, 07:07 PM
Yes CMP has a forum