PDA

View Full Version : Del-ton 16" AR-15 options

DubC-Hicks
June 23, 2010, 08:07 PM
I'm looking at a custom 16" Del-ton complete upper. There are a few options I am not sure about. They offer chrome bolt and carriers for an extra $55. Is it worth it? I am definitely getting the chrome lined barrel though. And I'm not sure what rate of twist I want. They offer 1:7 or 1:9. And I'm pretty sure I want the M4 feedramps for an extra $25. I have no idea about the gas tube or charging handle options though. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

94Marlin
June 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
i have a delton 16 inch middy and a 20 inch. They are the best bang for the buck. I had a DPMS and a STAG. I sold them both and built my Deltons. I promise you will not go wrong. The fit and finish on my Deltons are better than my DPMS or STAG were.

94Marlin
June 26, 2010, 07:07 PM
I have the standard options on both of my rifles. No chrome bolt, both 1:9

lmccrock
June 27, 2010, 07:01 AM
Unless you intend to abuse the rifle or shoot full auto, nothing needs to be chromed. Standard gas tube. Charging handle depends on sight choices - standard handle unless the scope extends back over the latch, then get a tac latch (such as Badger's).

They offer 1:7 or 1:9
Depends on the ammo you want to shoot. Roughly, shoot 69gr and lighter from 1:9 (although up to 75gr MIGHT work), and 55gr and heavier from 1:7.

Bullets/loads too heavy/slow for twist will not stabilize and may hit the target going sideways - if they hit the target (they hit somewhere, just maybe not on your target). Too light/fast may spin fast enough to spin the jacket off the bullet (seen it happen).

Lee