PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide on AR-10 or M1A

Ray33
June 21, 2010, 09:31 PM
I'm looking into purchasing either an AR-10 or a M1A but I was trying to decide which one I should purchase and why. I am leaning towards the AR-10 because I am familiar with the AR-15 although I already own an AR-15 so I'm thinking I might like the M1A more. Does anyone who own or have fired both have any preference?

DnPRK
June 21, 2010, 09:34 PM
I have a couple of each. If I had to keep only one, it would be one of the 308ARs. They shoot tighter groups, have better triggers, have better ergonomics and are easy to mount optics.

Ray33
June 21, 2010, 09:41 PM
Actually I'd like to bring into the discussion the FAL, in particular a FAL Para model. How is the ergonomics on it? I really like the ergonomics on the AR-10 but I've heard positive things about the FAL.

EMN89
June 21, 2010, 09:48 PM
I had Armalite AR-10 and I loved it I wish i hadnt sold it but we know how that goes. The AR-10 that I had was extremely accurate I could fire a full twenty round magazine fairly rapidly and get tennis ball sized groups at 100 yards with the forend on a sand bag. I have not personally shot an M1A but IMO you couldnt go wrong with either one but my preference would be the AR-10 only because I am familiar with the weapons platform.

BusGunner007
June 21, 2010, 10:26 PM
AR10

navajo
June 21, 2010, 10:27 PM
I have owned 7 M1As and 3 AR-10s. Never had a malfunction with an M1A. Ever. Come to think of it, I never had a malfunction with the M-14 I went through basic with.
AR-10, one short stroke and one mag with too much phosphate inside.

The full length rifle AR 10 was the most accurate gas gun I have ever seen. 20 shots in a hole the size of a quarter with Aussie surplus.
The B model was close behind it.
The carbine was a little less than both rifles.

If I could still shoot I would buy another AR 10.
(all three were Armalite)

5.56RifleGuy
June 21, 2010, 10:36 PM
I recently got an FAL and I love it. Mind you its not the para, but I have heard positive things also. If you get the FAL you want to find the styer mags. They work great.

A dealer I talk to frequently just told me his EBR just recently replaced his Para FAL as his favorite.

The EBR m1a cost him about 6 grand though. I doubt the FAL cost anywhere near that.

But all in all, they would all be great. Hell, just buy all three.

DnPRK
June 21, 2010, 10:43 PM
I've got an FAL too. The worst issue with it is accuracy because the front sight is on the upper and the rear sight is on the lower. Loose upper-to-lower fit means the rifle never points at the same place twice even though the sights are aligned. The steel lower also makes it heavy.

mchgnmike
June 21, 2010, 10:45 PM
AR-10 because of the ergonomics and the ability to mount optics and accessorize to the owner's needs.

M1A is a great rifle but it is not designed for optics. Yes they can be mounted but not well. The accessories are not as plentiful as they are for the AR-10.

FN-FAL another great rifle (I have one) but once again not designed for mounting optics on and not near as accurate as the above rifles without much modification.

My next rifle will probably be the AR-10 but since I just finished my 6.8SPC AR, I will be playing with it for a while.

azredhawk44
June 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
AR-10.

If I did it all over again, it's what I would get. Dollar for dollar, it is more accurate per dollar spent. They are also the "forward" platform, rather than the "old" platform. The best M14 smiths are predominantly a dying breed and replacement parts are getting harder to find (and more expensive), while the AR-10 platform relies upon the hordes of AR-15 smiths out there and the spare parts industry for the AR-10 is just starting to spin up.

zombieslayer
June 21, 2010, 11:39 PM
I'd go with the M1A. IMO, the ar10 is a bit heavy for its size. It is beter for mounting optics, but you can put optics on anything if you really want to. If you don't like iron sights or have no intention of using them, go with the AR. Just my thoughts.

THORN74
June 22, 2010, 12:10 AM
i was int he same quandry, earlier this year. i chose the M1A/M14... got myself a scout/squad i liked the idea of the shorter barrel, but didnt want the socom with all that heavy rail up front.

I have to say i couldnt be happier with the decision.

FoxtrotRomeo
June 22, 2010, 01:16 AM
I'd say get an EBR but you may or may not be willing to shell the cash for one. However I know how to do the EBR conversion so I won't be paying as much for mine when I get it. :)

I do have an AR carbine to be fair (Double Star STAR-15 carbine M4A1 look-a-like) But it's 5.56.

I know what you are saying with familiarity but to be honest, the M1A is such a simple design that if you learn how to do the EBR conversion and you get a match grade M1A then you have a very comparable rifle in terms of accuracy and ergonomics.

I also must add that the EBR conversion when you get the weaver mount that fits into the stripper clip position, it makes mounting a scope real easy. With it the scope will be closer to your face.

3rdDragoon
June 22, 2010, 02:09 AM
I only wish I could have one.........................of either.

All banned where I live. :mad: i've always loved the M1 Garand and so might lean on the M1A. But I have no experience with it.

Darren007
June 22, 2010, 02:35 AM
I'd have to go with the M1A. But I'm biased, I've had a love affair with the M14/M1A ever since I can remember.

In reality though I dont think you could go wrong either way. I just purchased a Ruger SR556 and I love it. But if I was on the proverbial desert island I'd choose my M1A over it in a heartbeat.

NWCP
June 22, 2010, 02:39 AM
While I like the M1A I think the AR10 would be a better choice for one big reason... weight. That and the modular nature of the platform. The mounting of optics, butt stock choices and the list goes on. It isn't as pretty, but they are accurate and utilitarian as all get out. The Swiss Army knife of rifles. I trained on the M14 and grew to respect the rifle for what it could do, but it weights a bloody ton. If you had the money get both that way you don't have to make the hard decision, or get your AR10 now and save up for a M1A in the future. As for me I passed both up and settled on an HK91 for my semi .308 and got a bolt action CZ550FS in .308 for hunting. I'm happy with my choices. Just make sure you are with yours before laying down the cash.

pythagorean
June 22, 2010, 07:11 AM
I've had a few AR-10s. Scoped and target barreled, carbine flat top, even the AR 10B model. When scoped they are precision rifles for sure. Easily do under MOA with the long target barrels and decent scope.
I've owned a few M1-As too. Both rifles are actually heavy--the 7.62 in either makes the rifles heavier.
For scoping and trouble free accuracy pick the AR-10.
For historic and easy access to some long range rifle competitions that don't allow AR types choose the M1 A.
Some competitions ban the use of AR-10s but not the M1-A.

geetarman
June 22, 2010, 07:35 AM
I have a loaded M1A with the full VLTOR rail system. No problem mounting a scope. It has a match barrel, trigger and sights and shoots fine.

I have a DPMS LR308 that also shoots pretty good but the installation of a Timney trigger has not improved it much. Easy to mount a scope although I seem to shoot better using an Eotech red dot sight.

I would really hate to have to decide between them although aftermarket accessories favor the AR platform.

Geetarman:confused:

waterboy68
June 22, 2010, 07:46 AM
I just bought one of the Remington R-25 rifles. (made for them by DPMS). It seems to shoot pretty good, but the trigger is crap. Not smooth at all and has a very heavy pull, but that's OK. I got it to shoot hogs with and I think it will work just fine for that.:D I don't have any experience with the other manufacturers AR-10 platforms, but I hope they come with better triggers than the reminigton. I'll stick with my M1A if I have to pick between the two of them, but I do like them both.

thesheepdog
June 22, 2010, 08:03 AM
BOTH!

I love both guns, but since i have an M4 and a 6.5 SPR, i would go with the
M1A Scout just because i don't have one yet.

SmokyBaer
June 22, 2010, 12:35 PM
Have had several M1As, FALs and now an FNAR that out shoots them all. Wanted to play with an AR-10 for a while now but always went with something else because of their early problems. One of these days, maybe... :cool:

By the way Ray... I'm making room by selling another M1A. This one is an unfired Scout with a new scope and pic rails.
Check it out... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4123256#post4123256

Come and take it.
June 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
The garand action will not let you down.

chuter
June 23, 2010, 05:24 PM
I have both but purchased the Armalite AR-10T first. I did considerable research and fired each. I purchased the AR first because it was more accurate and I prefered the direction of recoil. Long story but yes, "direction of recoil". IMHO the AR platform delivers a different and for me, a more comfortable direction of recoil that is more straight back than the slight rise the stock design of the M1A delivers.
The AR-10T has the SS match barrel and two stage match trigger. It truly is a tack driver that I feel could stand up well to a bolt action .308 (please don't yell at me for that sentiment here).
That being said, I purchased a lighlty used (less than 100 rnds) Springfield M1A "Loaded" rifle with a Nikon scope on her two years ago. The AR is still more accurate but... the M1A is probably my most fun gun to shoot. It eats anything and considering the surplus ammo it digests, it effortlessly keeps rounds well in the black.
So, you need both. Just 'cuz.

ostrobothnian
June 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
All hail the FN FAL. Even pets like it. You can't go wrong.

Not as popular in the US as the rest of the world but Dieudonné Saive did the western world a favor. Even pets appreciate them. Ninety-nine countries did too. That cannot be said of the M1A Springfield or the AR in 7.62x51.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/catfal002.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/parapics006.jpg

Good luck with your choice and as always... post pics.

Dobe
June 23, 2010, 05:44 PM
Get the FAL, if you are looking for a go-to-rifle.

Get the M1A, if you are looking for an accurate rifle with great sights, and just plan fun to shoot.

Get the the AR, if you are looking for the most accurate of the three, withthe possibility of countless accessories, easy to scope, etc.

Nice Para Ostrobothnian.

Ray33
June 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
What do you mean "go-to-rifle"?

FoxtrotRomeo
June 23, 2010, 07:01 PM
I think he means go-to as in a SHTF rifle.

SR420
June 23, 2010, 08:13 PM
I sold off my Armalite AR-10 SPR to fund this grab-n-go MK14 SEI CL

http://gi350.photobucket.com/groups/q401/OCSB03YO9N/06-16-10001.jpg

TXGunNut
June 23, 2010, 08:32 PM
I'm in a nostalgic mood, M1A works today. If an AR10 were to show up in my safe I'd let it stay, but only if it earns it's keep @ the range.

SmokyBaer
June 25, 2010, 11:52 AM
SR420: I sold off my Armalite AR-10 SPR to fund this grab-n-go MK14 SEI CL

Have a M1A Scout Squad that would look REAL good in that stock and probly feel better. I have had it up for sale for about a week but I'm reconsidering since running across similar pics like that one of your MK14. Where does a fella get that stock and do they make folders?

SR420
June 25, 2010, 12:35 PM
SR420: I sold off my Armalite AR-10 SPR to fund this grab-n-go MK14 SEI CL

SmokyBaer

Have a M1A Scout Squad that would look REAL good in that stock and probly feel better. I have had it up for sale for about a week but I'm reconsidering since running across similar pics like that one of your MK14. Where does a fella get that stock and do they make folders?

SAGE EBR # M14ALCS/CV with a Magpul CTR.
Try Clyde Armory in Athens/Bogart, GA or deal directly with SAGE international.
I have seen a few folders, but don't know who's hardware is used.

SmokyBaer
June 25, 2010, 12:56 PM
I knew it looked a lot like an EBR but different.
I may have to keep my M1A Scout. Always have liked it.
If they have a pistol grip folder, I'm ON it... THANKS!! :D

kraigwy
June 25, 2010, 01:14 PM
I'm a service rifle shooter, so it has to be the M1A. But thats me, if I was to recommend to anyone, which of the two to choose, (leaving out formal High Power Compitition) I would recommend which ever one you shoot the best.

If you are gonna shoot HP Service Rifle, then it has to be the M1A.

SR420
June 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
SmokyBaer I knew it looked a lot like an EBR but different.
I may have to keep my M1A Scout. Always have liked it.
If they have a pistol grip folder, I'm ON it... THANKS!! :D

You are very welcome!

You may be able to find someone to do it, but adding the folding mechanism is mostly a DIY job.

AC45ACP
June 25, 2010, 05:02 PM
I say M1A like my new one Socom II MCS II

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/socmcs1.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz355/ac45acp/guns/socmcs2.jpg

sneaky pete
June 25, 2010, 07:01 PM
old Sneaky Pete here: And that's the beauty of the AR-10 platform. You don't have so stick with that dreary old .308/7.62X51 NATO. Just push in 2 pins--pop off the upper and your good to go with a number of calibers especially the 6.5family which will outshoot an M1A/M14 all day long. While the AR-10 isn't a "Classic" per say when I bought my m-41/B Swed sniper or my 1942 M-1 Garand I wasn't looking for a collector/classic but a shooter and the AR-10s are shooters. THANX--SNEAKY:)

SR420
June 26, 2010, 11:09 AM
From another thread:

Come and take it.

They need to reengineer the m14 platform. Make an integrated scope mounting system and heavy fluted barrel.
No gun action works better in gritty or muddy conditions.

modify the barrel end as bayonets are no longer a requirment in modern combat and the long flashhider is not necessary.
A shorter flashhider or muzzle compensator is in order.

Forget those ar-10 mattels. :P

and drama queen scars

MJ1
June 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
I'm kind of stuck with what I have for a few reasons, tradition and money are two reasons. I have fired an A10 I think it was in'92 ($2600 at the time before scoping) and the FNSLR over 40 years ago but I'm simple fellow and always fall back on what I know. Plus I can tell you any time I had dealings with the Australian's (some of the best thieves/scroungers I have ever seen) they tried to purloin any M14's they could get near. First they tried for a trade then they just clipped one. That is a form of recognition that the M14 was considered a good or better LR tool. So from my view I'm comfortable with the feel of the M14. This is just my morning ramble.

....MJ....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/c297b87c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/c5632f18.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/c8331111.jpg

ssblair
July 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
I'm a service rifle shooter, so it has to be the M1A. But thats me, if I was to recommend to anyone, which of the two to choose, (leaving out formal High Power Compitition) I would recommend which ever one you shoot the best.

If you are gonna shoot HP Service Rifle, then it has to be the M1A.

As of this spring, the AR-10/M-110 platform is now legal for NRA Service Rifle category. No word yet on when or if the CMP will follow.

I have M1A because of the Garand nostalgia, and I also think the new stocks and M14EBRs are sexy. But after trying an AR15, I really want to see what the AR action can do for the .308 recoil. And the modular concept of the AR platform is cool too; For owning one lower receiver (ie. gun, as far as BATFE is concerned), you can try a number of calibers and configurations just by popping a couple pins and swapping uppers.

Kmar40
July 26, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'd always take a service rifle over a rifle (M14, FAL, G3) over any rifle that was never adopted by a major military, just because I know that the bugs have been worked out of the military designs. (Of course, that presupposes that you will be picking up a quality rifle... not a mix and match Century that was slapped together without checking headspace etc).

Haven't we had about a thousand of these threads?