PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 .22 Conversion Bolt

fsfty
June 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
My friend was telling me that you can purchase a .22 conversion bolt for a .223 AR-15, and you can shoot .22lr ammo at the range from your AR. Is this true, and if so, how much do they cost and are you just switching bolts in the BCG? What about mags? Thanks.

Double Naught Spy
June 15, 2010, 01:38 PM
Yes, true. Ceiner makes the replacement bolt and comes with a mag for about $250 last I checked. I have used two that did not work worth a darn however, though I have seen them work fine.

Note that .22 ammo will lead-up your barrel and you will want to clean it quite well before returning to shooting .223 out of it. If you have a muzzle brake, it will fill with lead residue over time, or can. Mine did. It was bulky to break out.

I just opted to buy a S&W M&P .15-22 instead. It is about the cost of 2 Ceiner units, but works great and I don't worry about excessive leading.

nikdfish
June 15, 2010, 02:51 PM
You can pick up a CMMG conversion at AIM surplus for about $150, which comes with one 25 round magazine. Extra magazines can be had from CMMG or Black Dog Machine. Magazines can be had for $20, depending on who from & whether or not there is a sale on. The conversion unit replaces the .223 BCG with a combo of blow-back action & chamber adapter. Easy to swap back & forth, basically the same as removing & replacing the bolt carrier group.

Unless you have a really slow twist barrel (i.e. 1 in 12"), stick with 40 grain or heavier ammo. The lighter stuff doesn't group well in faster twists (i.e. 1 in 7, 1 in 9).

I've had very good luck with mine as long as I stay away from bulk Remington.

Nick

rjrivero
June 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
Spikes Tactical makes one of the nicer kits on the market. It is nickel plated for easy clean up, and the chamber adapter is o-ring sealed to keep the crude forward of the reciever.

sneaky pete
June 15, 2010, 06:15 PM
Old Sneaky Pete here: As above the US military has been using them since the Stone Age.For the M-16(AR-15) they are the M-261 SCD. We used them in my unit back in the '70s and they used the standard M-16(AR-15) 20 round magazine with a 10 round .22Cal-LR insert. They worked very well both full auto and semi and the BBL twists on the M-16s was 1:12 and we used those copper washed .22LR bullets. I appropriated one way back then and have used it in my ARs a while back But for about 15 years the thing as ben sitting in my closset gathering dust. I trtied to sell it a while back but there were no takers. THANX--SNEAKY.:)

Scottmkiv
June 20, 2010, 08:39 PM
I picked up one from CDNN for $189 a few months ago. It came with two mags.