PDA

View Full Version : M1A scope mount question

RoundsDownRange
June 5, 2010, 03:14 PM
I have a NM M1A and I want to put a scope mount on the rifle for hog hunting, or deer etc.. but I also want to use the rifle in 3 gun matches, which requires the use of the Iron sights. Are there any scope mounts that are reliable (such as the smith ent..) that install on the rifle easily, so it can be added, or removed depending on use? I've done a lot of research and it seems there are pins removed, and replaced by ones that mount the scope.. Which sounds like I need a gunsmith to do so, so it gets done correctly.. Any information would be a great help. Thank you

Flatbush Harry
June 5, 2010, 03:29 PM
www.bassettmachine.com/

Try this website and google basset scope mounts for more info and you tube on mounting.

Much of the M1A community uses it.

FH

azredhawk44
June 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
The only pin that is removed for the SEI or ARMS #18 or similar mounts is the stripper clip guide retaining pin.

The rifle works just fine for a 3-gun match if you don't put the stripper clip guide back on.

An SEI or similar mount can be removed and re-installed easily and retain zero within an MOA or two, with one caveat: You will want a small torque wrench to get the correct torque setting on the receiver bolt that retains the system.

I used to own an ARMS #18 and found it was a very low-profile mount, which I liked, but it was prone to having a case get stuck once in a while while cycling.

The SEI is a bit taller and has more room to eject cases. Not much taller... just enough to get the job done.

I consider the entire installation process, including removing the stripper clip guide and its retaining pin, to be a user-level process. No gunsmith services required as long as you are trusty enough to read directions, and handy enough to change a spark plug.

RoundsDownRange
June 6, 2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks to the both of you. I'm probably going to go with the Bassett mount for my M1.. The SEI mount is quite expensive, although I've heard on many accounts that it is the best one. The Bassett is REASONABLE for the job, and I can mount it, and forget it since I can use the Ironsights with the mount still attached.

Has anyone had any experience with the ProMag steel mounts? I've tried to do reasearch but I'm not sure if they sit high enough for the use of iron sights while mounted. I've read that they do a great job, and they are priced very reasonable.. Around $60.00 or so, but I cant find any info on whether iron sights can be used with it mounted.

madcratebuilder
June 6, 2010, 06:07 AM
Look at the Bassett or Sadlak, avoid low cost mounts, they just don't work well.

RoundsDownRange
June 6, 2010, 08:36 AM
I did end up buying the Bassett mount, that still incorporates the use of the iron sights, even while mounted. It may slightly take away from my field of view while engaging targets, but I'm sure I'll be able to adjust very easily, and not have any problems with it. I'm going to install the mount, and leave it there.. The only thing I'll do is add and remove the scope whenever needed/not needed. I appreciate the insight, because even with the research I had done, I had not even heard about the bassett mount. I wasnt a huge fan of the price, but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the long run :)

surg_res
June 7, 2010, 11:05 AM
an ARMS #18 is low enough to leave in place and still use irons. The #22 rings work well for QD type scope mounting. I took off my #18, as I found the ergonomics of the rifle to greatly favor the use of the irons--esp NM irons. The rifle just didnt feel right with a scope. #18 has nice contours. If u want mine, I will put it on ebay for you.

RoundsDownRange
June 7, 2010, 03:19 PM
lol Thanks Surg but I already have the Bassett on the way to the house from the factory.. Like I said I'm only going to use the scope when I take the rifle hunting with me. 90 percent of the time it will be used in 3 gun matches that I plan on participating in, or other events that are similar. I love the NM iron sights that are on the rifle, but the rifle does have the potential to perform past the limits of my vision while using the iron sights. I do appreciate the offer though.