PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 in 6.8 SPC

gmarr
June 4, 2010, 11:34 PM
I'm finally getting a 6.8 SPC to round out the collection. The new Mini in this caliber is looking pretty good. So does anyone have experience with one?

EdInk
June 4, 2010, 11:39 PM
Didn't know they even made one. Yet another reason to not bother with the AR.

FishEngineer
June 5, 2010, 09:52 AM
I have one. Been pleased so far - getting about 1.75" five shot groups at 100 yards which is about what one can expect. This is with factory ammo so some improvement is possible with hand loads but haven't had a chance to explore.

I put a Leupold FX-II scope on it -fixed 4X. Very suited for the carbine.

There are aftermarket 20 rounds magazines available now and the two I purchased cycle reliably after I sent the first two back for exchange.

Here's a poor photo:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu85/jkp71/guns/RugerMini1468SPC2.jpg

gak
June 5, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've thought about this one too - on paper at least, it looks the be the best of all worlds.

zombieslayer
June 5, 2010, 06:39 PM
I want one! Are they the same price as a regular mini? I doubt they sell these at WalMart...:(

Crosshair
June 5, 2010, 07:30 PM
I wish they would make one in 6.5 LBC, though you can get that at custom shops

gmarr
June 5, 2010, 09:03 PM
Just following up, but it was my understanding that Ruger was/had 20 rd magazines for the 6.8 SPC Mini. Can anyone confirm this? I'll be placing my order for the Mini this week.

zombieslayer
June 5, 2010, 10:19 PM
I do beieve they make 20's. They need to have 5's and 20's available, and I'll buy one. I do know Ruger doent have them in my Catalog.

Bamashooter
June 6, 2010, 12:22 AM
i didnt see any at their website, but midway has some 20rd. for the 6.8 for 25.00. there were two reviews and they were both good and for what its worth i have been using promags for my mini for years and they work just as good as factory.good luck :)

ISC
June 6, 2010, 02:26 AM
My understanding is that 6.8 ammo won't function in a standard hi capacity 5.56 magazine. That's why I'm planning for my next intermediate cartridge rifle to be a 6.5 grendel. Mini mags are more likely to malfunction than USGI M16 mags, which are much more readily available. Magazine availability has always been a huge liability for minis. Finding hi capacity 6.8 mags will be even harder.

Longdayjake
June 6, 2010, 08:18 AM
My understanding is that 6.8 ammo won't function in a standard hi capacity 5.56 magazine. That's why I'm planning for my next intermediate cartridge rifle to be a 6.5 grendel.

Nothing against 6.5 but you should probably know that it also won't function in a standard 5.56 magazine.

bottom rung
June 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
Ruger broke down and began making twenty round mags for the Mini 30 not that long ago. I would assume that they would tool up and make some mags for the 6.8SPC soon. I read the Gunblast.com review and like what I saw and read. Last year, I handled the 6.8 Mini 14 at a store and liked it a great deal. I won't make a move on one until Ruger starts making some mags. I already have a Rem. 700 in 6.8 and I love it. The Mini would be the next logical buy.

NooYawkuh
June 6, 2010, 08:52 AM
My understanding is that 6.8 ammo won't function in a standard hi capacity 5.56 magazine.

I don't imagine they would. The two cartridges are "roughly" the same length but that's about it.
That's why I'm planning for my next intermediate cartridge rifle to be a 6.5 grendel. Mini mags are more likely to malfunction than USGI M16 mags, which are much more readily available. Magazine availability has always been a huge liability for minis. Finding hi capacity 6.8 mags will be even harder.
I think it's just a waste of time and money to use anything but Ruger factory mags in the Mini. That's all I use and I just move on. Complaining about it doesn't help the matter.

But if you're looking for "availability" problems, you might just want to choose the Grendal itself. One thing that's nice about 5.56 is it's cheap and there's probably not a load that's more commonly available. 6.8 SPC is a lot harder to get and at least twice the price. Forget about the Grendal.

I know, ... you hand load, right? You pretty much have to with the Grendal.