PDA

View Full Version : 1984 SA M1A

ty509
June 4, 2010, 03:41 AM
I've recently bought an M1A with the serial # 029xxx and apparently it was made in '84. Does anyone know the chances of it having USGI parts?

wayne in boca
June 4, 2010, 03:56 AM
Could have a lot of USGI parts,could have few.Probably has lots.Springfield Armory has always used what they have available at the time of the build.If they have a USGI trigger group,they don't have to build one,great.I have a 1977 M1A Standard that was all USGI except the trigger housing.Wait and see,it's part of the fun.

madcratebuilder
June 4, 2010, 05:42 AM
You need to look at each part, that well tell you if it's GI or SA. I have a 80 build that's mostly SA and a 89 build that's 100% TRW.

mtscout
June 4, 2010, 09:27 AM
USGI parts, will have 'part-numbers' stamped on each part.
Bolt and receivers have part numbers and a small punch mark, testing for metal hardness.
eg: bolt part number- 7790186 TRW ZB
barrel 77900190 Nov 62 (Winchester chrome C/B)
Trigger group 7267030 66118
Hammer 66118 5546008

My understanding is that while in government production, there were many subcontractors who made the parts in shops all across the country.
Part numbers, specified the quality of individual pieces, as they were tested and approved for use (or not).
It makes for interesting learning, and can become an obsession.
Many M1A owners will purchase a new M1A from SAI and then begin the search for replacement USGI parts and replace piece by piece.

Calling Springfield Armory and asking about your receiver (serial number), may furnish you a starting place. Ask them in what configuration the rifle was sold as, some of the early numbers (and yours is) the records are not complete.

Going here will furnish you with much more information:
http://m14tfl.com/upload/

kraigwy
June 4, 2010, 09:53 AM
Unless someone has been switching parts, I'm pretty sure the original '83 versions were pretty much all USGI parts except the reciever of course.

I got mine in 1977, 4 didget Ser # 0086xx. It was all GI parts including the stock that had bond-do in the hole where the selecter was suppose to go.

madcratebuilder
June 5, 2010, 06:45 AM
From 80 up it's very common to find SA bolts, barrels and op-rods with GI trigger groups, and gas cylinders. As time went by fewer and fewer GI parts were used. The Devine rifles were all mostly GI.

My SA parts rifle is more accurate than my GI rifle but it has more prep work done to it.