PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 advice

usconcernedcitizen
June 1, 2010, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I am on an extremely tight budget.

But for personal defense, I would like to get an AR-15 type semi-auto rifle.

So here is my question.

What company makes a safe & decent AR-15 type rifle for the lowest price?

Makes, models, prices, advice, etc... Would be great.

Thank you, Have a good day,

USCC

thesheepdog
June 1, 2010, 04:15 PM
Contact me offline and i'll get you some excellent answers. I own a couple of AR's and am highly experienced with them

bedlamite
June 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
Spikes lower (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_65&products_id=52) + M&A kit (http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=101). You will still need a rear sight (http://www.mapartsinc.com/products.asp?catId=75&subOne=345&subTwo=386) and mags (http://www.mapartsinc.com/productsDetail.asp?id=1350). Assembly is pretty easy, there are tutorials on ar15.com and lots of videos available. Total to your door can be under $700.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 1, 2010, 04:28 PM
CMMG Bargain Bin rifle at $599 is going to be a tough deal to beat.

Technosavant
June 1, 2010, 06:09 PM
CMMG Bargain Bin rifle at $599 is going to be a tough deal to beat.

This.

The quality is good and I just haven't read anything negative about them.

maestro pistolero
June 1, 2010, 06:47 PM
What company makes a safe & decent AR-15 type rifle for the lowest price?No-one, they are all dangerous. VAYWEE DANGEWOUS. :)

Congrats, whatever you choose, enjoy your rifle. CMMG suggestion sounds almost too good to be true. But I guess the buying panic is really over. They make a decent rifle AFAIN.

The great thing about ARs is that the sky is the limit when it comes to upgrading them, should your needs or tastes evolve. Getting a basic rifle may be all you'll ever need, but it can also the first step in building or customizing to your hearts content.

Quentin2
June 1, 2010, 07:03 PM
Your question is vague so I'd do a lot of homework deciding exactly what you want and what your uses will be. Reading a lot of "what do I buy" threads will help. Its very easy to buy the wrong thing unless you fully understand what you need first. Lots of new buyers make this mistake.

GLK
June 1, 2010, 07:04 PM
DoubleStar from Bud's guns in KY.

Longdayjake
June 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
I second Double Star. That said there is nothing wrong with the cmmg.

Edward429451
June 1, 2010, 11:24 PM
Bushmaster XM15e2s

A great entry level AR.

maestro pistolero
June 2, 2010, 03:06 AM
Just make sure you get a flat top. Or at least get one with a removable A2 handle. If you get a regular fixed A2, you're stuck with it, and it limits your option for optic, and sights.

DocHoliday
June 2, 2010, 03:21 AM
Though not the cheapest I love my S&W m&p 15. All chrome lined and 5.56 can't beat the surplus ammo cost.

Dave R
June 2, 2010, 10:49 PM
All chrome lined and 5.56 can't beat the surplus ammo cost.Actually, you can beat the cost of suplus ammo if you reload. I'm just saying...

tirod
June 3, 2010, 09:16 AM
The CMMG Bargain Bin uses cosmetic seconds parts from the major makers. They are simply discounted the same as a watch with a tiny scratch on the crystal in any jewelry store. Since the public seems to think that shop worn merchandise is somehow tainted, they won't pay dearly for it unless it comes out of the box new.

CMMG customers generally discuss the complete lack of noticeable marks or scratches, that the parts have good function, and the guns are reliable. Most of the roll marks are names that sell in the $800 range. The guns I examined at the last show I attended were NIB as far as I was concerned. I even got to sample three grip sizes, A1, Tango Down, and A2. It was obviously not just a collection of military looking parts if extra expense items are thrown in for basically free.

How many paid $800 just to see the gun fall onto the grade rock and become the $600 gun it really is? :rolleyes:

gotigers
June 3, 2010, 09:18 AM
+1 CMMG bargain bin

FP2000H
June 3, 2010, 08:40 PM
If you want an AR for personal defense, then you want a bullet designed with personal defense in mind. I think you're going to be looking at heavy grain projectiles: hollow point or maybe even ballistic tip. These are going to be in the 60 and 70 grain weights. I would recommend a 1:7 twist barrel to stabilize these loads. You could easily engage out to 200 yards if necessary but that would negate the argument of self-defense.

Here's some more food for thought. You could also look at some lighter loads from a 1:10 or 1:12 twist. If I recall correctly, the original twist and ammunition design for the rifle was made with the intent of the bullet yawing upon or shortly before impact causing a gruesome tumbling effect and consequently more damage to soft tissue.

I understand the cost consideration but first you need to decide what configuration you want. Then you can look for the best deal for you. Standard configurations are usually found with a single stage trigger, M4 stock, A2 grip, A2 upper or flat top upper with a pinned front sight. Expect a 16" barrel with carbine length gas system and likely a 1:9 barrel twist.

Federal makes a soft point ballistic 62 grain round in .223. You'd want to make sure you get a barrel marked for 5.56 so you can shoot both 5.56 and the .223 round through it. Since the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures, it may be unsafe to shoot it through a barrel marked for .223 only.

demigod
June 4, 2010, 09:48 AM
The CMMG Bargain Bin uses cosmetic seconds parts from the major makers. They are simply discounted the same as a watch with a tiny scratch on the crystal in any jewelry store.

There's more than cosmetic differences in CMMG's bargain bin guns and Quality manufacturors. At best you're getting a 4140 DMPS barrel... AT BEST.

It may be a good deal for someone looking for a recreational only gun. But CMMGs quality has been hit and miss at best over the years. I wouldn't buy anything from them as I take my ARs very seriously.

Xfire68
June 4, 2010, 10:01 AM
I picked up a Del-Ton (DTI) 16" A2 DT-4 a week or so ago that came with the front and rear sights, handle, Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist, 5 30 round mags, cleaning kit, take down tool, sling and a hard plastic case.

For $775 After taxes it cost me $831.

I think it was a great deal on a great gun! I have not put any ammo through it yet so I will only say I think it was a great deal and let you know later if I "Know" it was! LOL :D

stevedscross
June 5, 2010, 03:37 AM
If you build your own AR15 you will have a rifle that suites you better, you like better and probably will be more reliable than a factory rifle. You can usally do a complete rifle of great quality for under 800$. Which is about what a mini 14 costs these days. then all you have to do is save up another 600$ and buy an eotech, or Meprolight optic.
Grade A fighting gun you will have.

Quentin2
June 5, 2010, 11:52 AM
Since you're on a tight budget see if standard iron sights will do the job for you. Optics are great but if you have decent eyesight you can get excellent results from iron sights.

ADB
June 5, 2010, 01:57 PM
If you're on a tight budget, is there a reason why you're looking at an AR? A decent quality shotgun would be much cheaper and also would have far better stopping power at the kind of distances you'd typically see for home defense. You could get a Saiga 12K for under $600 and have both capacity and semi-auto, or you could go for a typical pump action for only a couple hundred.

Logs
June 5, 2010, 02:11 PM
$659 for a Double Star at Budsgunshop.com

Quentin2
June 5, 2010, 04:59 PM
I think USCC isn't that concerned with us! :D

Hope we helped...

essohbe
June 5, 2010, 05:13 PM
As XFire68 said, Del-Ton (http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm) has inexpensive ARs, however I don't own one but they have been a popular suggestion in the past.

They have 20" kits also.

sonrider657
June 7, 2010, 09:15 PM
The deal on DoubleStar's at Bud's is hard to beat.

Skyyr
June 8, 2010, 09:37 AM
First off, do NOT buy an AR simply based on someone's answer here or on any other forum. You need to research your choices and understand the differences between various models... and then pick what works best for you.

While most everyone is doing their best to helpful and informative, AR's are not like traditional firearms in that referencing a specific configuration means that they're all the same. AR's are the new craze and everyone is making one... and most everyone is trying to cut corners to save money or passing their product off as "tacticool" to get your money.

If you truly want to find out what gun would suit your needs, go to m4carbine.net and read through their guides, specifically this one (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642) and this one (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24397). I'm not trying to draw you away from this site, I'm just trying to direct you to some very good AR-15 guides.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Decide what you want, then save up for it. Trying to get the cheapest rifle without taking into account its construction and components will only end in grief for you.

Just my .02

thinkingman
June 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
CMMG bargain bin....nothing wrong with them and your original post indicated you don't want or need anything special.
You can always upgrade.
Get in the game with the CMMG.
I you don't like it, I'll buy it from you for 90% of your purchase price.

rickyrick
June 8, 2010, 12:29 PM
Prices for ARs and builds are given on this Board all of the time....

My question is how come every time I start looking at parts and add them all up its allways more than people quote?

I purchased a new mini at Wally and the nearest AR price to the mini, I can find is for a 22lr version.

I am not trying to argue, I am truly interested in finding out where to find an AR or a build for around 600.

demigod
June 8, 2010, 04:28 PM
I am not trying to argue, I am truly interested in finding out where to find an AR or a build for around 600.

There is no AR I'd consider owning that'd fall in that price range. Even the WORST Mainstream AR out there (OLYMPIC ARMS) is over $700... and I wouldn't take one of those turds for free.

I'd try to piece something together used.

demigod
June 8, 2010, 04:33 PM
If you're on a tight budget, is there a reason why you're looking at an AR? A decent quality shotgun would be much cheaper and also would have far better stopping power at the kind of distances you'd typically see for home defense.

The Shotgun falls short of the AR for defensive work in:

Capacity
Recoil
Flash
Size (most of the time)
Penetration
.... basically everything. That's why you almost never see tac teams entery close quarter fights with shotguns unless it's for door breaching.

That said... I tend to agree in that I'd probably take a good shotgun over a $600 AR.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 8, 2010, 04:35 PM
There's more than cosmetic differences in CMMG's bargain bin guns and Quality manufacturors. At best you're getting a 4140 DMPS barrel... AT BEST.

Yes, at $599, you probably aren't going to get a MIL-B-11595E barrel in any semi-auto 5.56 rifle; but a 4140 DPMS barrel is pretty much the same quality barrel in most of the $750-900 AR15s. And for that matter, DPMS makes a very accurate barrel, though there is always a fine line to walk between accuracy and reliability with regard to chamber dimensions.

thinkingman
June 8, 2010, 04:59 PM
$650 at CMMG gets you a chrome-lined M4gery.
Can an AR thread live without someone posting about their superiority complex?

Longdayjake
June 8, 2010, 11:27 PM
Can an AR thread live without someone posting about their superiority complex?

I was thinking the same thing. I think that someone is just trying to illustrate the reason behind their online name.

Blackops_2
June 8, 2010, 11:33 PM
The way i look at it, save your money and be patient the buy a Good AR, then you don't have to worry about anything.

FP2000H
June 9, 2010, 05:51 PM
In order to build an AR for the ridiculously low prices people are throwing at you in this thread, you would want to have a working knowledge of all AR components so you can discern quality from crap. Second, you would want to know what the going price range is on any of these parts so you know when to jump on a good deal or not.

I built my last AR and it was over $2000 just for the "basics." It's functioned flawlessly, though, and has all the features I wanted. To discover what I liked and didn't like about the platform, I bought an LMT Defender (a very good rifle). If I decided to keep the LMT, I would feel confident in that I had a battle ready rifle with top shelf components; yet, I have even more confidence in my build because everything is as I want it. The easy route is to buy a factory assembled rifle, play with it, modify it, and then decide what components you want to build your own. This can also be the more expensive route because, at the end of the day, you will have paid for two rifles.

I'm an ardent believer in "buy once, cry once" but now you'll have to really do your homework, ask questions, read reviews, compare pricing, to decide what kind of configuration you want, how much coin you're looking at spending, how much you really have to spend, and then waiting for the good deals.

Webyshops.com
June 15, 2010, 10:33 AM
Get a pretty common set up. With the market being what it is - when you are ready to upgarde - you are likely to break even... and you are going to want to upgrade :-)...