PDA

View Full Version : Lets dream a little - New Garand Target Rifle

300magman
May 31, 2010, 09:49 PM
If a guy were to want an M1 Garand that was basically new, able to handle modern 30.06 ammo, as accurate as can be, and with a target rifle worthy trigger....where would a guy start looking for such a thing. Could the parts be obtained, assembled, .. and what smith or shop could put them together and tune them to run to thier potential?
Or am I just dreaming of the impossible?

While I'm dreaming, could such a Garand be equiped with an attachment point for a scope, so that it could be shot with regular sights and/or with the scope, just by removing and attaching the scope with quick release rings or bases?

Jim Watson
May 31, 2010, 09:58 PM
I have NOT done business with them, but these folks talk a good game:
http://www.nationalmatcharmory.com/

So do these:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Maybe somebody will come along with a real testimonial instead of just a collection of advertising; but that is the best I can do.

Also note that these things are NOT cheap.

300magman
May 31, 2010, 10:45 PM
WOW... $1700 from Fulton Armory, and they estimate only 2.5 MOA and $2800 in modifications from National Match Armory to your supplied rifle to get in the area of 1MOA......That's scary!

I always assumbed M1s were inherently quite accurate (when in good repair) but by the sound of that your average Garand must make a mini14 look good. :(

I wonder what could be expected of a simple $1000 Special Grade Grand from the CMP, with a bit of trigger work

Jim Watson
May 31, 2010, 11:31 PM
I think the Fun Factor-to-Dollar ratio would be a lot higher that way.

I have to figure that a rifle is obsolete when they have matches limited to its one model. If you want to shoot great targets, get an AR... for less money. The M1 is an exercise in nostalgia.

Flatbush Harry
June 1, 2010, 11:54 AM
I have 3 basically brand new M1 Garands, one each SA and HRA "new condition" rifle in a new walnut stock with new manufacture stock metal (CMP special grades), and one 5.8mm correct grade SA, appears proof fired only. My regular shooter is a 5.4mm SA correct grade in excellent condition (TE 1.5, ME 1.0). This last rifle is 2.5MOA rifle with HXP M2 Ball. It has done 1.5-2.0 MOA with Hornady Match ammo for the M1 Garand and I'm tinkering with handloads to improve upon that.

You have to keep in mind that the M1 Garand was designed to be an effective main battle rifle with reliable function, which means loose tolerances. They can be tightened up, glass bedded, with NM barrels and sights and shoot to perhaps 1.5 MOA. I'm thinking of doing that to one of my special grades. Now I've also got a 35-y/o M1A Supermatch that shoots to <1 MOA...bedded, NM sights, air-guaged Douglas barrel, and all USGI parts for the rest. I use Federal GMM and routinely get 0.75" at 100 yds from that rifle off a Lead Sled. That said, if I needed to bet my life on a rifle, I'd go to the Garand.

FH

Flatbush Harry
June 1, 2010, 12:00 PM
CMP also sells a replacement rear handguard that allows a scope mount without change to the issue sights. Since it is a "long eye relief" scope, you need to look at a pistol or scout scope...I may put one of these on one of the special grades.

FH

PS-go to www.odcmp.com to see their stuff. I've dealt extensively with CMP and can recommend their rifles and ammo without hesitation...they are the finest mail order business with which I have ever done business.

azredhawk44
June 1, 2010, 12:27 PM
Start with one of CMP's serviceable rifles at $600.

Get a new Kreiger-Criterion barrel for it.

Have someone install it and tune it. Make sure you add a schuster gas plug to the tuner's requirements, and NM rear hooded 1/2 MOA aperture and NM front sight.

Have that person tune the trigger group as well, and bed the action into a new stock.

Total cost of barrel, installation/headspacing/tuning of gas system, sight installation, trigger work, new stock and bedding will probably be about $600-$800, depending on where you go.

Total cost of the project will be $1200-$1400, but it will end up shooting 1MOA or better with quality match ammo.

300magman
June 1, 2010, 05:30 PM
This is definetly all something to think about. A garand does seem like a good fun rifle and a fairly practical hunter.

As for someone mentioning AR's, that's a no-go in Canada. There are ways to attain one, but its impractical, prohibitive, and a very large pain in the neck to even take target shooting, and competely out of the question for hunting (though there may be some way to do it legally that I am unaware of)

The garand, as far as my research has turned up, is actually the only semi auto centerfire firearm in the country that is permitted to hold more than 5 rounds....but that isn't why I want one....though it doesn't hurt ;)

Ouhhh, as a Canadian the CMP is also not an option for me, at least not directly....so if anyone ever wants to sell one of thier garands, send me a PM.

300magman
June 1, 2010, 05:36 PM
In my gun rack the real competition for space (when a get a few more funds) will be between an M1 Garand and a Browning BAR with the Oil Finish.

The BAR will almost certainly have a better finish, be prettier, shoot more accurately and be lighter...though it will have no sights.
But the Garand will be a fun workhorse with some of the best factory iron sights available (and the ability to use a scope) and may be cheaper or more expensive depending on the quality of garand I find for sale.

dmazur
June 2, 2010, 12:16 AM
But the Garand will be a fun workhorse with some of the best factory iron sights available (and the ability to use a scope)

The Garand really doesn't lend itself well to scopes. The M1C / M1D were adaptations of a fielded design with the en-block loader that had to be inserted from the top. Right where you would put a scope.

So, the scope mounts were "offset". This required a leather cheek pad to offset the shooter's head to line up with the scope.

Griffin and Howe mounts are very hard to retrofit to an existing receiver, but I understand some reproductions with 1" rings are available. This would be the closest thing to a M1D or M1C, starting with a stock M1.

Other mounts are available, but most replace the rear sight.

If you're going to get a Garand, I suggest you look at "scout mounts" for a scope. These replace the rear handguard and permit use of either red-dot or intermediate eye relief (IER) scopes, located clear of the enbloc loading process. The one I have permits use of the iron sights down the channel of the scout mount. The mount is barely visible at the edges of the sight picture. (The scout mount clamps securely in place and doesn't require any drilling of the rifle, so you can reverse the process any time you choose to.)