PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Scope for a Custom AR-15

Anthony
May 31, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hello Everyone,

Subjectively speaking, how much of a disadvantage (if any) in durability and/or performence is there if I choose a Leupold VX-II or VX-III scope over a similar Mark 4 model for my custom AR-15?

I am a civilian and the rifle will be used for self defense at home and legally carried in my vehicle in a discreet case.

Thank you for the assistance.

Anthony

Lloyd Smale
May 31, 2010, 07:01 AM
probably none. The mark4 is geared more toward using an ar for long range shooting. It has a bit more easily used elevation and windage knobs and can be bought with reticles that work better for long range shooting. For what your going to use yours for a vxII would work just fine.

riverwalker76
May 31, 2010, 07:22 AM
I would personally choose a Mark 4 for a custom AR. Durability is my main concern.

pythagorean
May 31, 2010, 08:43 AM
If I may surprise you I have found even the VXIs to be absolutely reliable in a number of rifles.
Leupold seems to make a good scope at any price.

FrankenMauser
May 31, 2010, 12:42 PM
There should be no disadvantage going with one of the "lesser" models over the Mark 4.

A scope for SD, though.... might be a disadvantage.

hometheaterman
May 31, 2010, 02:16 PM
If I may surprise you I have found even the VXIs to be absolutely reliable in a number of rifles.
Leupold seems to make a good scope at any price. I'd go with at least a VX-II. I've got a VX-I that I've had to send into Leupold twice for repair. 2 other friends had VX-I's also. The first one had one and it failed to hold zero. He sent it in for repair. He got it back in about a week and traded it off for a .22 rifle.

The other friend had one he bought on a muzzle loader. He liked it at first, but last year mid muzzle loading season it started moving the poi and wouldn't stay zeroed at all. One shot would hit the target the next would be way off. This was the issue I had the second time as well as the other friend had. He said he didn't even care to have it fixed so sold it to me for cheap. I realized that I didn't have a use for it and I wasn't impressed with the one I already had so I ended up selling it.

I think the friction adjustments probably are the cause of these issues as they seem like a huge piece of crap. I'd go for at minimum a VX-II if not a VX-III.