PDA

View Full Version : how safe is a mini-14?

jambrdly
May 30, 2010, 12:13 AM
How safe is the mini-14? What shooter safeguards are engineered into the gun in the case of a catastrophic cartridge failure?

csmsss
May 30, 2010, 12:16 AM
Safe in what sense? Properly used, it's as safe as just about any other rifle on earth. That said, if you operate it in an unsafe manner, it's just as dangerous as any other rifle on earth.

the rifleer
May 30, 2010, 01:04 AM
Agreed. Its as safe as you make it.

Now i think you are talking about what happens if someting goes wrong mechanically. The bolt locks shut and doesn't open until the round is out the barrel, so it isn't like you are going to get a blast of gas in your face. I don't think the weapon will fire unless the bolt is closed properly either and the rifle is so well made that mishaps are so rediculously unlikely that you should't worry about it.

But as always, wear hearing and eye protection:)

BillCA
May 30, 2010, 04:49 AM
Take a look at the Mini-14/Mini-30 action and gas system.
The bolt copies a number of good features from the M1 Garand/M14 rifle.
The gas system is very similar to the M1 Carbine. Neither weapon known for having any safety problems. Not even when rounds were excessively hot.

NooYawkuh
May 30, 2010, 07:59 AM
I did a search and I could not find any references to a catastrophic failure of a Mini-14. I've heard complaints about accuracy in the older ones but I have never heard of its safety or reliability being call into question. (Until now.)

rduckwor
May 30, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have to agree with my Yankee colleague NooYawkuh. I have never heard of any form of catastrophic failure with a Mini 14 or 30.

Ridiculously solid guns and they are a real hoot to shoot.

Art Eatman
May 30, 2010, 09:59 AM
I've had four of them, and shot all manner of .223 ammo. Commercial, commercial reloads, USGI.

Nary a problem...

chris in va
May 30, 2010, 10:02 AM
I think he's asking how safe the gun is if a cartridge 'kabooms'. Will parts fly in your face and rip your nose off or will everything just kinda fall at your feet.:cool:

Scorch
May 30, 2010, 02:11 PM
In 4 years of smithing, I only saw 1 Mini-14 that had issues related to overloaded cartridges. The rifle jammed when brass shavings were forced into the ejector hole. No problem, freed up the ejector and it was back in business. I have said it before, I will say it again: Mini-14s are one of the few "cowboy-proof" guns in existence.