PDA

View Full Version : Inherited M1A

nickinis
May 25, 2010, 08:06 AM
I inherited a M1A a year ago and have been doing some research on it. I contacted springfield armory with the serial number and they said it left the factory Sept. 30, 1981. The one thing i noticed that is different from other
M1As is that the handguard is walnut and not fiberglass. The gun is in perfect condition with all original parts. I showed it to a guy i know that owns a gun shop and he said that it has all SA parts (SA stamped on the reciever), i guess the new ones have recievers made by different companies. I guess my big question is what its worth, the guy at the gun shop thought around $2,500 because of its age and condition. I would never sell it but i am curious about its value, any other info would be helpful as well.

mtscout
May 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
Can you post you some photo's?
PM in regards.

madcratebuilder
May 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
That price is very optimistic for a 81 SA in original trim. It sounds like your stock may have been replaced, or at least the hand guard. I have a aftermarket heavy stock with the wood hand guard for one of my M1A's. The rifle can get hot enough to actually burn the wood hand guards.

SA has always used the same investment cast steel receiver on their guns. A few may have some external dimension issues that well effect scope mounts.

My 10/80 SA rifle has a SA bolt and op-rod, Wilson six groove NM barrel, GI trigger group, GC and FS. The remainder is SA. It shipped as a "standard".

Need more detail for an accurate price but a early SA with SA and GI parts is about $1500-1800. Add all GI parts and your $2000+ maybe.

Kmar40
May 25, 2010, 06:37 PM
I'm not aware of M1as having any collector status.

Many view them (due to their stamped parts and cost cutting measures) as poor imitations of the real thing.

If someone offered me $2000 for that gun, I'd take the cash and run.

bfoosh006
May 25, 2010, 10:39 PM
While I can't give you a value.....If it is truly in perfect condition, and a '81 M1A...it probably has all USGI parts...that alone makes it more valuable to the knowledgable M1A shooter/collector.

BTW , I don't know how well you know the "Gun-Shop owner" but he surely should know that that rifle is early enough, to have been assembled with "new old stock, NOS" USGI parts ( read as, very desireable)....so kinda take what he has to say with a grain of salt...( no offense intended..)

Go here...http://m14tfl.com/upload/.. Join..it will be worth it... And ask the same question in the " The Firing Line" forum.. explain what you are asking and you should get more then enough answers... ( not to mention, some probable offers to buy it ..;) )

Kmar40
May 25, 2010, 10:47 PM
it probably has all USGI parts...that alone makes it more valuable to the knowledgable M1A shooter/collector.

If it's truly an M1a (and not one of the early select fire M14 clones) cast receivers, op rods and other crappy parts were used from the beginning. There is no such thing as a USGI Springfield Armory M1a, though they used a higher percentage of real forged parts in the early days.

bfoosh006
May 26, 2010, 12:02 AM
If it's truly an M1a (and not one of the early select fire M14 clones) cast receivers, op rods and other crappy parts were used from the beginning. There is no such thing as a USGI Springfield Armory M1a, though they used a higher percentage of real forged parts in the early days.

True, I don't know all the actual, exact parts , but they are still more desirable then the current ones. I am not sure about the operating rod comment though , I thought SA used as many surplus USGI parts as they could find. Not because they wanted the quality parts , but because the parts were available and "cheap".

My '96 vintage is full of good USGI parts, all the markings are where they should be and correct. \

Anyway that rifle would certainly be MORE desireble to me then a current production one.

Bosshoff
May 26, 2010, 11:04 PM
Go sell it to the comando at your gunshop, and give him a deal at $2,250.00.