PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 or Mini-14 for SHTF?

rockhouse
May 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hypothetical situation...
SHTF. Utter chaos. Dollar's worthless. Gas stations, grocery stores, Wal-Marts are empty and closed. Martial law. Cities are crime-ridden. People are forced to hunt, fish, trap, farm, or steal to survive.
Mandatory curfews and gun confiscations are enacted. It's a keep-a-low-profile, survive-on-your-own, be-prepared-to-possibly-kill-and-bug-out type scenario. Domestic as well as foreign UN 'peacekeepers' are on the prowl.
You have 2 guns to choose from for said scenario:
AK-47 or Mini-14.
No extra gun parts, 1,000 rounds of ammo, three 30 round magazines.

Which do you choose and why?

SR420
May 21, 2010, 09:08 AM
AK47 because a 100 round drum full of 7.62x39 is perfect for SHTF work.

thesheepdog
May 21, 2010, 09:12 AM
Do you want to spray bullets or have potentially better accuracy?

The mini-14 (newest models) are great guns. Especially now since they re-designed them with heavier barrels and much better sights.

AK is good, but i would take the Mini just because you have more options on ammo types and you have about 100-150 more yards of range.

DO NOT get an older Mini. You'll regret it because the barrels are crap and so are the sights.

But, both guns would serve a purpose, i would rather have a gun than no gun.

RT
May 21, 2010, 09:38 AM
No doubt--an AK.
Choose 5.45, 5.56, or 7.62 and then stock up on mags.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
May 21, 2010, 09:54 AM
Either---doesn't matter---the Mini is a little more refined though.

hoytinak
May 21, 2010, 09:56 AM
My SHTF rifle is my Mini-14.

IBTL. :D

thesheepdog
May 21, 2010, 09:59 AM
My SHTF is a custom M4 and a 6.5 upper to go with it. :D

rockhouse
May 21, 2010, 10:03 AM
Ammo weight, noise, accuracy, and availability would all play a part.
You may go from shooting at a squirrel for dinner to shooting at marauders, in an instant.
I think pilfering .223 from the field would be easier. I think the flexibility of the Mini would be better for survival.
My vote goes to the Mini....(in SS for less hassle.)

taylorce1
May 21, 2010, 10:09 AM
rockhouse, just a heads up. This post will be closed before too long. SHTF isn't a well accepted post here.

taylorce1
May 21, 2010, 10:13 AM
double tap!

rockhouse
May 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
^Hmm. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm new and didn't know it was frowned upon.

I just thought it would be interesting to see peoples choice and reasons.

thesheepdog
May 21, 2010, 10:43 AM
rockhouse,

You are inquiring on a "SELF DEFENCE/Multi Utility" rifle. :)

taylorce1
May 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
Junior Member, so not going to ding you. Just use the Search function and you will find all sorts of posts on SHTF, EOTWAWKI, and Zombies. You will get all your info and you'll see that those post all got closed.

Talking about this kind of topics just isn't in the best intrest for responsible ownership of firearms.

You are inquiring on a "SELF DEFENCE/Multi Utility" rifle.

Better topic starter.

Bartholomew Roberts
May 21, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'd guess that if you took 100,000 people in that situation and gave half Minis and half AKs, the number of people who died because they had the wrong rifle (instead of say, poor skillsets, poor training or poor tactics) would be zero.

zombieslayer
May 21, 2010, 11:12 AM
Can't go wrong with either- they are legendary for reliability. I like the M1-styling of the Mini. My mini 851 seies cost $599 at walmart and is way more accurate than many online threads and post would have you believe. At least this isn't another AR vs Mini thread! Buy whichever feels better to YOU. Happy shopping

Skans
May 21, 2010, 01:19 PM
The best SHTF rifle out there is the PTR-91. For what some of you folks are going to spend on a decent Mini or a decent AK, you could pay a couple hundred more and get a slightly used PTR-91. With a folding or collapsible stock, it is compact, not too heavy for a .308, reasonably accurate, powerful, and rock-solid durable.

.223 in semi-auto is useless as a SHTF rifle.
An AK is OK, but a PTR-91 is exponentially better.

johnwilliamson062
May 21, 2010, 01:29 PM
I chose mini-14

AND

and SKS-M(more accurate but still takes AK mags, not drums though)

As my go to rifles. They now have very similar sights and I am reasonably familiar with both. In different situations they each have strengths.

To make a point, just in case you were thinking mini-30, there are no mags so mini-30 is a bad choice. If Ruger changes that maybe a mini-30.

thesheepdog
May 21, 2010, 01:43 PM
.223 in semi-auto is useless as a SHTF rifle.

How so?

rockhouse
May 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
Self-Defense/Utility Rifle. I like that title better anyway.:D

I've got a SS 2010 Mini with ATI stock and i really like it. I've been kickin the idea around of getting an Arsenal AK. I don't know anyone that owns one but i've read alot of good stuff on them.

For those that may own both the Mini and AK, i was curious as to which yall would grab if a serious need for a self-Defense/Utility rifle arose, and you could only grab one.
Which is best in yalls opinion for a SNFASD/URA? hehe

shepherddogs
May 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
Just get an AR-15 and move away from Northern VA.

thesheepdog
May 21, 2010, 02:02 PM
I've got a SS 2010 Mini with ATI stock and i really like it. I've been kickin the idea around of getting an Arsenal AK. I don't know anyone that owns one but i've read alot of good stuff on them.

For those that may own both the Mini and AK, i was curious as to which yall would grab if a serious need for a self-Defense/Utility rifle arose, and you could only grab one.

How do you like the new mini's?

I would go with the Mini over the AK. Killed plenty of deer at distances over 200 yards with a Mini. Dropped the deer dead every time.

Skans
May 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
How so?

Because .223/5.56 was designed for 2 purposes - hunting varmints and for large capacity full-auto fire from a light-weight rifle. It was never designed as a man-killer or medium-sized animal killer in semi-auto one shot mode. It wasn't even designed for 3-round burst rifles.

With one-pull, one-shot fire, you are much better off using .308. It was designed to be used in semi-auto rifles, and is very effective when used in semi-auto rifles.

So, if you are looking for a semi-auto SHTF rifle, I'd stick with the .308 format. That's what it was designed for. On the other hand, if you have full-auto capability, then .223 works well for that purpose, if you can stow enough ammo on your person.

Capt Charlie
May 21, 2010, 02:09 PM
Many thanks to taylorce1. He nailed it.

Closed.