PDA

View Full Version : Preparing new bullet casting molds

Plaz
May 19, 2010, 09:06 PM
What is a good procedure for preparing new bullet casting molds for casting?

ironhat
May 19, 2010, 09:19 PM
The best place to look is right here at home ;), so try this thread (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361951&highlight=leementing) for a broad look at the answer.

jmorris
May 20, 2010, 08:48 AM
I clean mine with acetone and then smoke them with an acetylene torch, the bullets just fall out.

TheGreatDane
May 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
I prepped a mold on Tuesday.

Basically, use some sort of cleaner to get the milling oil off, then add a thin layer of carbon to help the bullets drop free.

I accomplished this with some spray brake cleaner and a few matches. Yesterday, I ditched the matches for Frankford Arsenal's Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent. It's much easier and ensures complete coverage.

Once I got my mold to optimal temps, brand new cast beauties dropped right out even without shaking.

chris in va
May 20, 2010, 06:41 PM
I scrub my Lee molds thoroughly with Dawn and water and a toothbrush. Works fine.

GP100man
May 20, 2010, 09:55 PM
I scrub em good with dawn & old tooth brush ,then boil em for 5min take out put em handles then heat em up on a hot plate , no smokin or nuttin !! if the bullets hangs a little I spin a bullet in a cold mold with a little fine lappin compound !. Aluminum get comet cleaner for compound.

The Great Dane

Be careful with the spray graphite a good coat will drop dia. a .001 or 2 accordingly .

My $.02 worth

TheGreatDane
May 24, 2010, 11:32 AM
GP100man, Thanks for the tip. I measured a few of 'em after using graphite and they're .452. We'll see how they look after sizing.

I'll definately be mindful of overcoating the molds from now on.

Thanks again.

crowbeaner
July 1, 2010, 09:02 PM
The way I do it is to degrease with Gumout carb cleaner and an old toothbrush. Let dry and bake at 400 degrees for 4 hours to cure the metal (especially with new Lyman moulds). Spray lightly with Midway Drop Out mould release and cast until you get good bullets. Cast good bullets until you run out of alloy or get tired and let the mould air cool. If you aren't going to cast again the next day coat the mould with SAE 30 non detergent motor oil and wrap in doulble thickness wax paper.

Shane Tuttle
July 1, 2010, 09:13 PM
What type of molds do you have? If you have Lee's, then there's more to the prep process than others...