PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Thank You

RemTim
May 19, 2010, 07:36 PM
I am new to this forum, been here a month or so and never published an opening post. I just jumped in and started posting and reaping the benefits offered here on the Firing Line Forums, to be more specific; the North Coral as I am a black powder freak. Way before ever joining the forums here, I was reading your discussions when the search engine brought me the this asylum along with other forums like it. The large member base here offers a larger pool of knowledge to drink from than the others.
Many of us offer value to a forum such as this only by generating content for the search engines by bringing up topics we need help on and occasionally opening a few doors for discussion from time to time. We are not the true assets of these forums.
The true assets of these forums are the guys that have been around, diving into discussions and taking the time out of the day to answer our questions often in excruciating detail and taking the time to guide us to the knowledge we need. Many of them here do not realize how much they help thousands of people like us that have a range of knowledge ranging from knowing enough to get by to not having a clue. They receive no compensation except for the satisfaction of helping others. How does this forum make money? There is no advertising here and they charge no fees. The forum and staff are here because they have a passion for the topics the forum is built on. Their motivation is not financial reward. They should never be taken for granted. Please give them the respect they deserve. That being said, I would like to address them now:
You are the elite; the upper crust of our group here. We are dependent on you for so much. I knew who a lot of you were long ago. People like you helped me avoid harming myself from chain fires and exploding powder flasks at a time when I didn't even know there was such a threat. People like you advised me on my purchases and gave me the knowledge to make a better choice for my personal needs. You taught me how to care for and service the guns I so dearly cherish. I could go on and on.......and on.
People like you take precious time out of your lives to share your knowledge because you have a passion for our madness. The pleasure of helping us shorten our learning curves is the only compensation you receive for your devotion. I want to take the time to say thank you. You deserve our admiration, our respect and our gratitude, and you certainly have mine. You save thousands of us money, time, pain, grief and you may have even saved a few of our lives from time to time without ever knowing it; without ever being thanked. From the bottom of my heart, Thank you. It is an honor to be in your company. --Remington Tim

DustyBottoms
May 19, 2010, 07:47 PM
I second that commotion.

Nice post, RemTim! :cool:

Thanks, guys - :)

CajunPowder
May 19, 2010, 09:04 PM
Great post RemTim !

I too lurked for a few months before taking my place on "The Firing Line".

I've been involved in a LOT of online discussions and projects and this is one of the MOST courteous and civilized discussion boards I have EVER been a part of.

If I would not have come here, I probably would not have ordered a black powder revolver as there were way too many questions and concerns I had that I needed support with and I found them here.

I find a very deep sense of understanding of the subject matter and the ability to be funny and humorous amongst the membership and I really like it all.

This forum is much more than meets the eye.

Hardcase
May 19, 2010, 10:41 PM
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...

(Thankfully, the only battle we gird for here is that of the holy black against the upstart substitutes!)

DustyBottoms
May 19, 2010, 11:54 PM
And they quote Shakespeare at the drop of a hat -

Nice!

I like it here...

suzukibruce
May 20, 2010, 12:38 AM
great post tim, i couldnt have said it better myself... i have only been a member of this forum for a few days and have learned more about black powder in these few days than i did owning and firing my first. this is an awesome site and the people on it make it that way. i think i got the hang of posting pics, now if i could just learn how to do quotes...

wittzo
May 20, 2010, 08:48 AM
I'm new here, but I've been on The High Road for a few years and The Muzzleloading Forum for about the same time as here. The "oldtimers" that post on THR and TMF are also here. You can learn more in ten minutes of reading posts than you would learn in years, if not a lifetime on your own.

Now I'm teaching other people about blackpowder guns and I'm a "go to guy" on them. I've been shooting for 36 years, but didn't know a thing about BP until 3 years ago, thanks to the forums.

Pictures are done here the same they're done on other forums. I use Photobucket to store my pics and use the address they provide between the brackets. "[]"

To quote someone, copy and paste what they said and put "Username said:" in front of it and "" behind it wherever you want to quote them (without the quotation marks).

RemTim
May 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
You can learn more in ten minutes of reading posts than you would learn in years, if not a lifetime on your own.

Where would we be with out the old timers that care enough to share their knowledge and advise us? Technology brings us together into one room with these intellectual giants. Before the internet, it would have been hard to even imagine a communication media that could unite us in such a fashion. If you had a need or question, you were pretty much on your own.
IMHO, the old timers will never know how many people they have helped and that is a crying shame. I feel as if I owe a debt to these guys in which I can never repay.

RemTim
May 20, 2010, 01:53 PM
I just hit my 100th post and achieved Senior Member status. :cool:I feel like Jethro Bodine bragging about his academic achievement of being a 6th grade graduate and Steve Martin in the Jerk when he found his name published in the telephone directory.:D

SirBustaCap
May 20, 2010, 06:04 PM
I'm new here but have been reading this forum and the others mentioned. I can say with certainty that these guys have saved a few lives from time to time with their safety advice, or I am certain they saved one life-MINE!!!. Me and my family that is dependent on me being alive and healthy are in their debt because I had always been careless with my powder flask, Considering how careless I had been in the past, I am sure I would have blown myself up if I had not read their safety advice in discussions I never participated in in a forum which I was not a member. I'm not sure which forum that was. So I too hold them in the highest regard. Thanks guys. I owe you my life.

Hawg Haggen
May 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
(Thankfully, the only battle we gird for here is that of the holy black against the upstart substitutes!)

Watch it now some of us don't have any choice but to use subs.:p:D

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 12:13 AM
Hawg, I feel your pain. I wish I could use the real stuff too. I'm stuck with the substitutes:barf:, but a local gun shop has great prices on the subs though.:)

CajunPowder
May 21, 2010, 01:23 AM
awww ... I think I'm having a senior moment also RemTim !

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 07:02 AM
Threw me off for a minute there with the senior moment comment. As many of us older guys can vouch; as you get older, the term senior moment has rather forgetful meaning.

mykeal
May 21, 2010, 07:03 AM
I don't remember ever having used it.

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 08:50 AM
Mykeal, I had heard the term senior moment and don't use it either. If I am not mistaken, a senior moment is a moment of forgetfulness.I have my share of those moments from time to time, like walking into a room with a sense of urgency only to find myself standing there wondering to myself, "What the hell am I looking for or doing here?". :confused:Yeah, I have a few of those from time to time.:o If you don't mind my saying so, I'm 50 and you're a bit older than I. If you say you have not had a few moments such as this, I would say you are pulling my leg:rolleyes: or perhaps you just forgot about them.:D

Fingers McGee
May 21, 2010, 10:09 AM
I don't remember ever having used it.

Used what? :confused:

:D:D

A belated welcome to the forum.

FM

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 10:46 AM
I can't remember what I was about to say. What were we talking about??:confused:

sebou
May 21, 2010, 10:55 AM
Great post Rem Tim.
All that you told is the raison of our own enjoy, without any lucrative think we all have.
Hope you will still learn more about black powder...
Seb

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm still a puppy. As mentioned before I'm somewhere between knowing enough to get by to not having a clue; depending on what we are talking about; What were we discussing by the way?:confused:
Oh yeah, the full moon is approaching, time to get my fishing gear ready.:D:D:D:D

Hawg Haggen
May 21, 2010, 11:01 AM
Puppies grow up to be big dogs.

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hawg, it may be a while, I'm still on the tit.:D

Hawg Haggen
May 21, 2010, 11:06 AM
Least it ain't hind tit.:D

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 11:12 AM
They say if you can't run with the bigs dogs stay on the porch. I'm scared to jump off the edge, it:'s too far to the ground.:eek::eek:

Hawg Haggen
May 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
Use the steps.:rolleyes:

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 11:44 AM
Oh yeah!! I was wondering what those things were.:o

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 11:47 AM
Hawg, I tried the first step and fell on my ass!:( whimper..whimper

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
Hawg!....! Hawg!!.... Mykeal!...Somebody help! pleeese!!!...... Never mind, I ran back on the porch and hid under the swing.:D One of these days, I'm gonna....

Hawg Haggen
May 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
Keep tryin bro you'll be a big dog someday.:D

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks for everything, Hawg , Articap, Mykeal,.......this list goes on

suzukibruce
May 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
in the short time i have been here i have learned just enough to be dangerous... btw another question, i found ffg powder at wally world on clearance for $21 a can, what would the measure be if i were to get it and use ffg vrs fffg if i were to be using 30 grains of fffg? or should o just stear clear of ffg? its triple 7 powder btw.

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 01:16 PM
I consider myself lucky, we have a local shop that has prices usually cheaper than anyone on the web(even before shipping) and the prices are usually cheaper than wally world. A can of pyodrex 14.99 ,box of 451, 454, 457 balls 11.99 or so
As for how much powder.; if accuracy is of the lesser concern, I follow Hawg Haggen's advice and filler'up. I like 40 grains for a balance ( for my needs). Have no clue about formal conversion between subs

Hawg Haggen
May 21, 2010, 01:22 PM
Reduce triple 7 by 20%.

arcticap
May 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
777 ffg isn't bad at all compared to 777 fffg, it's American Pioneer Powder ffg that's really [too] chunky while the APP fffg is a decent enough granulation.
15% less volume is the recommended equivalent for 777.

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hawg, if you fill the chamber, is the danger of a crushed powder trail between the ball and cylinder a valid concern? I mean since the powder is all the way to the top.

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 03:24 PM
BTW, My intention here was no to blow sunshine up any butts, just to show appreciation. i felt compelled to write the post after unintentionally ruffling things a bit from time to time by being abrasive in my writing style and wording much of what I said wrong. I am an humble kinda guy and am working hard in my post articulation. I don't mean to be a slush by any means but I needed to let you guys (especially you old timers) know how much you are appreciated.
Having said that, when is recess at this lunatic asylum??:confused: And where is the back door just in case you deranged maniacs get out of hand???::eek:,,,,and who took my red rubber ball??:mad: Just wait until I get out of this straight jacket!!:mad:
:D:D

suzukibruce
May 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
oh so the lower the # the, more powerful the powder... i thought it was the other way around...

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 06:33 PM
,,and who took my red rubber ball?? Nobody's talkin, huh??:mad: That's ok, I have a blue one ; I hid it and I ain't taking any chances by telling any of you varmits where its stashed.:cool:

mykeal
May 21, 2010, 08:36 PM
Strictly speaking ffg is not more powerful than fffg. It has a slower rise time and lower peak pressure - in effect, a flatter pressure time history. The power involved is effectively the same.

fffg 777 should be reduced by 15% compared with fffg real black powder or Pyrodex. Many people say ffg 777 should be reduced by an additional 5% compared with fffg real black powder; I have no idea why.

RemTim
May 21, 2010, 09:40 PM
If I would not have come here, I probably would not have ordered a black powder revolver as there were way too many questions and concerns I had that I needed support with and I found them here.
CajunPowder, I know you were having a time for a while there. What did you finally end up with?

Hawg Haggen
May 22, 2010, 12:11 AM
Hawg, if you fill the chamber, is the danger of a crushed powder trail between the ball and cylinder a valid concern? I mean since the powder is all the way to the top.

Well you can't fill it completely up. BP won't compress that much. It's no concern with a lubed wad under the balls or lube over the balls.

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
What about pyrodex? It will take compression, right?

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 12:14 AM
ok so use 30 grains ffg? or??? all i know is everywhere i look it says 30 grains fffg... what do i use for ffg?

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 12:16 AM
sb, we posted about the same time there.

Hawg Haggen
May 22, 2010, 12:17 AM
I generally use Pyrodex RS (FFG) for everything. My loads are usually 35 grs. but 40 will work. Pyrodex does compress more than real bp but you still can't fill the chamber level full and expect to seat a ball far enough for the cylinder to turn.

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, that was pretty much the problem when I tried. Settled for 40 grain.maybe 45 will work with no problem.

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 12:22 AM
ok going to wally world tommarrow, they got 8 cans of triple 7 ffg for 21 a can oh and dont buy caps from cabelas, i went online and they want 49.00 for caps and 54.00 for "magnum" caps! i couldnt believe it! and i thought the 7 bucks i paid was bad...!

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 12:23 AM
do you guys EVER sleep? lol

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 12:24 AM
Might miss something:D

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 12:25 AM
lol.... i seem to remember getting 50 into my bison but i may be wrong, my memory aint quite what it was....

Hawg Haggen
May 22, 2010, 12:25 AM
do you guys EVER sleep? lol

I just got home. Worked nights this week.:D

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 12:48 AM
I'm on and off line rather frequently. I spend most of my time here reeding discussions, current and old; got it bad...the fever that is. This place is the only medicine that helps.:D

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 12:55 AM
[quote]I'm on and off line rather frequently. I spend most of my time here reeding discussions, current and old; got it bad...the fever that is. This place is the only medicine that helps. [quote]

and buying more remmies...

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 12:57 AM
and buying more remmies... I don't know if that is a cure for the fever, it makes mine rage even hotter.:(

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 01:04 AM
makes me feel better....

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 01:07 AM
Yeah, sb , me too, but I never stop looking and searching for my next adopted child.....:D

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 01:49 AM
Congrats on your senior moment, Suzuki Bruce.

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 01:58 AM
huh?

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 09:35 AM
Your senior member status, SB.

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 09:56 AM
ohhh thanx...lol... i didn't even notice...lol...

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 10:31 AM
SB, my reaction to such a milestone event was somewhat different that yours....:D
I just hit my 100th post and achieved Senior Member status. I feel like Jethro Bodine bragging about his academic achievement of being a 6th grade graduate and Steve Martin in the Jerk when he found his name published in the telephone directory.
I have calmed down a bit since then.:D

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
I just hit my 100th post and achieved Senior Member status. I feel like Jethro Bodine bragging about his academic achievement of being a 6th grade graduate and Steve Martin in the Jerk when he found his name published in the telephone directory.

better?

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
Did you run through the street rejoicing, screaming and ranting..as I did? And if so, were you waving your guns around? Just curious.

suzukibruce
May 22, 2010, 11:01 AM
tim i always wave my guns around... in fact when i get a new one i run up and down the street screaming "I GOT A GUN" and pulling it out and showing it to people, espacially strangers and "out-of-towners" they get a real joy out of it, i can tell because they start running, pointing and screaming "HE'S GOT A GUN!" i just don't understand why more people don't do this, it's really alot of fun....

RemTim
May 22, 2010, 11:18 AM
I'm glad the out of towners share your enthusiasm and are willing to assist in your proclamation to the world. Around here, people react in a similar manner.