PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 guys, help me out here.

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 09:12 PM
Ok, found a built flat-top AR-15 for about $800, railed all the way, markings say safe, semi, and Auto, it's dura-coated, retractable buttstock that holds batteries, foregrip rail covers, stainless steel inner components (trigger assembly, trigger, pins, and hammer) heavy chrome-lined 1:9 twist threaded barred with an A2 Bird-cage, M16 bolt, and a magpul grip that holds stuff in it.

the symbol on the side of the reciver had what looked like crosshairs or something but more like the aimer in the EOTech sights
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/images/552_1.jpg
like that...

Is this a good deal? what brand is the reciver?? what would it cost to make this myself???

Palmetto-Pride
May 17, 2010, 09:23 PM
Is it like this...http://www.zemomotorsports.com/images/Rock-River-Arms.gif

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 09:25 PM
Nope, it was as simple as the Eotech site with no company name- I think. I couldn't see any company name off the bat.

mnhntr
May 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Arma Lite

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 09:29 PM
Not an Armalite. No lion.

:(

jman841
May 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
Sounds like a good deal, maybe a lil to good. Why is the owner selling it? How does it actually fire? If it actually switches to full auto i would walk away because it is most likely illegal.

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
The owner buys, sells, and trades guns a lot. It fires 5.56, and no, not full auto- wouldn't want it in full auto anyway.

I've seen a lot of guys say an AR-15 can be built for 800-900 so that's why I question whether or not this is really something good.

jman841
May 17, 2010, 09:57 PM
you can build one for 600 or less if you wanted to. But it will be very basic. Its the bells and whistles that usually add up. The stainless steel parts, the different butt stocks, the rails, chrome lined barrels etc.

I am in the process of building a basic Mid length AR that will cost me around 700, but it has all the features i wanted on it (chrome lining, mid length, carrying handle, etc.)

If it functions well it sounds like you found a pretty decent deal.

MMcfpd
May 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
There are, and have been, so many roll marks it's hard to say, but here's a wild guess:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Hughes_roll_mark.jpg

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 09:59 PM
That might be it. Good guess, I'll look into them and see their prices.

Keep helpin' guys!!

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 10:00 PM
Just checked, their markings aren't the same for the auto and whatnot so I assume it's not it. Good one though!!

rjrivero
May 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
Aim Surplus?

https://www.aimsurplus.com/EOS/images/product/f1sasl.jpg

CzCasull
May 17, 2010, 11:06 PM
oooh, you're on par with how it looked but it wasn't that.

tirod
May 18, 2010, 10:19 AM
If you can post a pic of the Eotech, wouldn't a pic of the lower have gotten quicker results than a guessing game?

It comes off as as sly attempt to market the name. That may be more a reaction to how the internet is played than a real lack of camera.

Auto markings mean nothing without the extra burst pin hole. If there's no extra pin, and the selector won't move to that position, the only ones worrying about it probably work security at the Mall of the Americas. :rolleyes:

It's quite likely, not having any name on it at all would indicate somebody isn't read up on 80% finished lowers. The BATF requires something for a SN if it's sold. The leading letters of a serial number also tend to indicate a source of mass production.

A picture would be nice, a more detailed description could help.

Gunplummer
May 18, 2010, 01:42 PM
After 30 years(or more) I am slowly getting back into the black gun stuff. You seem to be up on this stuff. I have a lower on one I pulled out of the closet made by Ordnance Design Co., Santa Clara, Calif. W/3 digit serial#. Model ER15
I remember when it was about the only game in town to use an M-16 upper without the off-set take down pin. It is machined really well compared to receivers that started to flood the market a couple years later. The area where the sear would go was left solid, so it was never any type of military application.
Anybody ever hear of them? I started to hunt West Virgina, where semis are legal and am getting back into ARs.

Quentin2
May 18, 2010, 02:37 PM
In addition to the lion in crosshairs on the lower, ArmaLite has a crosshairs and AR logo on uppers. Sounds like you're asking about the lower though but odd there wouldn't be a name on the lower...

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ArmaLiteARcrosshairlogo.jpg upper

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ArmaLiteBanner.jpg lower

CzCasull
May 18, 2010, 03:02 PM
I live far from the shop I found it at.
But I think the company doesn't even matter, it was just a question. I want to know if its a good deal. I know what a good factory AR is, but I'm not sure about built ones like other people are.

Quentin2
May 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
Well it sounds like an all right deal for what parts are there (especially the rails), assuming everything is of good quality and you want the 1:9 twist. But you really don't know what it has and if the builder knew his stuff. So for $800 I'd be inclined to build my own AR or maybe get a Spikes Tactical midlength for about the same price. The Spikes is the best deal right now for a milspec AR.

loverme85
May 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
Auto markings mean nothing without the extra burst pin hole. If there's no extra pin, and the selector won't move to that position, the only ones worrying about it probably work security at the Mall of the Americas.

lol My thoughts exactly

sonrider657
May 19, 2010, 03:03 PM
What is the city and state that is engraved on it?

Logs
May 19, 2010, 03:33 PM
I would want to know who made the rails? If they are UTG they are much cheaper than lets say YHM. Not saying they are bad, but you could have a no name AR with UTG rails and lower end parts I would say pass.

Prices on new ones have really come down for not much more you can get the Operator Rock River. I would keep looking if it were me.

Good Luck.

tirod
May 20, 2010, 08:04 AM
I finally saw the "stainless steel" lower parts. Those were a hot item a year ago, lots of kits sold. I'd take it as a home assembled kit gun, no problem with that. The stainless LPK's were problematic. Some were great, others caused issues or literally broke down.

Sounds like someone toyed together an M4gery and sold it for some small profit. Given the quality of the rail and who's barrel, it could be a keeper or so-so. The barrel would be more important, the rail is just an expensive scope mount all said and done.

It's a $600 gun dressed up a bit and out on the town. They probably won't sell it for less, there's another one born every minute.

Logs
May 21, 2010, 06:01 AM
Check out CDNN they have the Smith AR flat top for $799 and it comes with 10 - 20 rd mags and 5 - 30 rd Pmags, 6 POS stock, 1x9 twist, 16 inch barrel and chrome lined. Pretty good deal.