PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand

chasep255
May 16, 2010, 06:01 AM
I just bought a CMP special grade m1 garand (new stock and barrel). I was just wondering if there was anything special I have to do when I first get it before I shoot and should I clean it differently than all my other more modern guns?

10-96
May 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
Yup... gotta post pics!:D
Other than that, it should get a good dose of grease where parts slide and pivot, and oil on pin, springs, etc. Do you have an adjustable gas plug or something similar? You didn't mention it, but I'm guessing you researched and found that you shouldn't use just any off-the-shelf ammo without the gas plug- right? It might not hurt to become familiar with assembly and disassembly while following a manual- this'll help with the greasing and such, but will also give you the chance to make sure nothing has come lose or was over-looked somewhere along the line before it got to your door.

chasep255
May 16, 2010, 07:16 AM
Here's the one I bought. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168272045 Also what do u mean by off the shelf ammo? Should I only use the surplus stuff?

Chris_B
May 16, 2010, 07:28 AM
Nice M1

Only use "M2 ball" ammunition- the correct 30-06 specification rounds, or commercial ammunition that specifically states that the ammo is for an M1 rifle. M2 ball is what the military spec for the correct ammo is. It is not the same as M1 ball, although M1 ball is another type of military 30-06 and it will load (just like regular 30-06 will, but I doubt you'd even find M1 ball)

M2 ball is not loaded the same as commercial 30-06 and gas system damage can result- bent operating rods (well, ones that develop unwanted bends- the oprod is bent a little, by design), even receiver heel fractures. This may not happen on the 1st shot of commercial 30-06, or the 10th, or the 10,000th. But it can and logically eventually will happen. Steel doesn't get stronger with age, and the modern loads are, as a quick description, too 'hot' for the M1 even if the M1 was brand new

OR you can get an adjustable gas plug from Schuster or McCann

Flatbush Harry
May 16, 2010, 10:04 AM
Chris B is correct. I use HXP M2 Ball for ordinary shooting, and handloaded M2 equivalent with Varget or IMR 4064 with match bullets for match shooting. The pressure curve sensitivity of the gas system is well-known, documented and easily dealt with, either by a tuned adjustable gas plug or handloading or M2 Ball.

FH

Avenger
May 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hornady also makes a Garand-safe commercial round, can't recall if it is TAP or one of their other lines.

dmazur
May 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Here's a link to a site that has a lot of info on the Garand (and other military surplus rifles) -

http://www.surplusrifle.com/garand/rifledisassembly/index.asp

As far as cleaning goes, you can't clean it from the chamber end with a standard cleaning rod. Many shooters use a muzzle protector and a one-piece cleaning rod (like a Dewey) to protect the crown.

Another tip I know of is to clean a Garand angled with the butt on the floor "upside down" so that solvent/dirt does not go down the gas port and collect in the gas cylinder. Stuff a rag in the action to keep the jag tip from pounding into the bolt face, too. If you're generous with cleaning products, you might want to do this over a piece of cardboard or a few layers of newspapers instead of over your living room rug... :)

Flatbush Harry
May 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
Avenger is correct. Hornady produces a box designated "Target" in .30-06 for Garands using a proprietary powder blend and a 168gr A-MAX bullet. CMP, in fact, sells these ($200 for 250 rounds, well below other prices I have seen) and they work magnificently in my Garands (and my Savage 116 FHSAK as well). Hornady indicates this load is a 2700fps one, which I try to duplicate with loads from their manual's M1 section seeking the most accurate match from different powders. I find that my M1s seem to behave like most rifles, in that each seems to prefer a unique powder.

FH

nbkky71
May 17, 2010, 01:37 PM
Be aware that after cleaning the M1 needs to be lubricated with grease, not oil, at particular points on the rifle.

http://pnwbands.com/m1garand/greasepoints.html

To keep the M1 in tip-top accuracy, try to avoid removing the gas cylinder from the barrel. Constantly (or carelessly) removing/reinstalling the gas cylinder may lead to excessive wear on the barrel splines, which align the gas cylinder on the barrel. This wear can lead to excessive play in the gas cylinder and cause accuracy issues. When cleaning the gas cylinder, it's quite easy to remove the action from the stock, remove the op-rod & spring, and clean the cylinder from the rear using the bore brush & patches.

Also, when storing your M1 it might be advisable to store the trigger guard in the un-latched position. Over time, leaving the trigger guard latched may lead to compression of the wood.

Can we expect to see you at the JCG match at Camp Perry this year? ;)

chris in va
May 17, 2010, 04:36 PM
I saw those at the north CMP store last weekend for $895. Almost bought one, but decided to get a decent field grade for $495 and use the rest for reloading supplies and some Greek ammo. The wood on it is in rough shape but the metal is hardly worn and the barrel gauged at 1.5 on both ends. The counter guy was a little surprised it was in the field section.:D

The regular service grades were completely sold out within a couple hours. Plenty of those 'special service' grade rifles though.

Like the guy said, might as well get the adjustable gas plug so you can shoot anything available instead of limiting yourself to M2 ball.

chasep255
May 18, 2010, 07:12 AM
I noticed that I can get a belt of 250 rounds from the CMP for $75. The only problem is that these rounds are corrosive.

kraigwy
May 18, 2010, 08:55 AM
Just clean it like you would any new rifle, then shoot it.

I got my CMP (then DCM) Garand in 81-82. It arrived on a Thursday, and on Friday I was leaving for Hawaii for a High Power Match.

I figure "what the heck", so I left my M14 home and took the Garand. The first rounds out of mine was the sighters on the 200 yard SF stage.

I use to get a lot of M-72 match or reloads, being 47 grns of 4895 using 168 or 175 SMKs or pulled 173 military bullets.

4895 was made for the gurand, it worked a long time, still works, I see no reason to change. I havent broke any thing in my Garand in the nearly 30 years of shooting it.