PDA

View Full Version : Some Mini-14 Tactical questions...

rockhouse
May 13, 2010, 03:07 PM
Does anyone know whether or not the flash hider is removable? If so, are there muzzle breaks that will fit it? Does the shorter barrel effect accuracy?
Also, i have heard of duracoating a gun...what exactly is duracoat? Can it be done myself at home?
Thanks for any info.

Drummer101
May 13, 2010, 03:30 PM
As long as the barrel (plus flash hider) is no less than 16 inches you are good. For some like the 11.5 inch barrels and 4.5 inch flash hider you can not remove those, it is more of a barrel to barrel thing.

EDIT: I was thinking AR-15

Duracoat is basically truck bed liner (if I am thinking of the right stuff), it is heavy but very strong. If you live in the desert and never bring it in I say go for it.

The shorter barrel does not effect accuracy, only velocity which effects range.

rockhouse
May 13, 2010, 03:35 PM
I've got a new SS Mini that i dropped into an ATI stock. I really like the set-up, but now i'm thinking of giving it to my son and getting the new 'tactical' mini with flash hider. I wasn't sure if the FH was removable. It'd be sweet if you could add an after market muzzle brake to it.
Anyway, i'm gonna research the duracoat stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Technosavant
May 13, 2010, 03:40 PM
Duracoat is a brand name of firearm finish. It isn't exactly like paint, but isn't far from. Weight is no more than regular paint.

It is easily applied at home- degrease, apply (you mix Duracoat with some hardener), then clean the tool you used with reducer, and let it cure. It isn't the end all be all of firearm finishes, but IMO, it is better than regular paint and easier to apply than most finishes. You can use a HVLP sprayer, an aerosol applicator, or an airbrush (the airbrush is probably the best method; you usually aren't using more than an ounce or so at a time).

NooYawkuh
May 13, 2010, 08:49 PM
One big complaint with duracoat is it's insulating properties. It prevents the gun from cooling down as quickly as it normally would. Might not be a problem at a low rate of fire (like when hunting) but if you're emptying 20 and 30 round mags at the range, the gun is gonna get hotter 'n hell and stay hot for a long time.

The new Remington 877 pump shotgun comes duracoated. I'm not hearing anything good about it. It gouges and scratches easily, peels and gets hot.

MTT TL
May 13, 2010, 09:31 PM
Minis tend to get hot under heavy firing.... just a note.

zombieslayer
May 13, 2010, 10:34 PM
I bought a "tactical" mini-14 and the flash hider is definitely NOT REMOVABLE. The good news is that the barrel measures about 18.5" so you canb have the facory hider lopped off and have the barrel threaded so you can put whatever you want on there. I went and got a regular walmart Mini to modify, though. I like the wood stock better personally. The tactical is VERY accurate for a Mini. I got around 4" groups at a hundred with the factory sights. The good thing about the shorter, heavy barrel on the new tactical model is that it dampens some of the "barrel whip" that leads to degradation of accuracy. I paid 625$ for mine at a show. Good guns, highly reccomend getting one. The tactical I bought has many many rounds through it without a hitch.

pbrktrt
May 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
I'm pretty sure the FH is removeable. Ruger uses or use to use an oddball 9/16 x 24 thread so not too many brakes with that TP. I think they use the same girl to tighten the flash hiders as Savage does on their barrel nuts.:)

KMO
May 14, 2010, 07:29 AM
Minis tend to get hot under heavy firing... just a note.

I don't think they get any hotter than other firearms do after firing successive rounds. Historically, as mentioned, the Mini has shown a tendancy toward the barrel whip condition already mentioned here, as a consequence of the heat rising. There are ways to mitigate that condition, though, and the introduction of the newer tapered barrel that began with the 580-series was Ruger's method of resolving the issue. One can still supplement that design upgrade to further improve accuracy when the barrel warms up, such as shown below with a barrel stabilizer on a tapered barrel...
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/WebTapered.jpg

zombieslayer
May 14, 2010, 07:37 AM
The one I have is DEFINITELY NOT REMOVABLE. Its part of the barrel. Am I the only one here who has one???

KMO
May 14, 2010, 08:12 AM
The one pictured above is mine. It's a factory Tactical model, and I'm sure Ruger does not intend for it to be removed. I haven't attempted to do so, but I believe it's threaded on, and probably held tight with thread locker as well.

zombieslayer
May 14, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hmmm. I'd love to get to the bottom of this. Think I'm gonna give Ruger a call.

zombieslayer
May 14, 2010, 08:36 AM
Wow- that took me 45 seconds! Love Rugers customer service, I got a human being on the phone and I STAND CORRECTED. That thing is removable!!! Wow, it sure is on there tight. Hmmm

rockhouse
May 14, 2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah, i was also curious about the potential for duracoat to insulate the barrel. Think i'll pass on any coatings seeing as how the mini's barrel does indeed almost glow after 20 rounds are ran through consecutively.
Now that we know that the flash hider is removable, i wonder what the threads are? I'm gonna look around and see if there are any after market brakes online.
Probably not seeing as how the mini with the FH is relatively new.
Thanks guys.

KMO
May 14, 2010, 09:56 AM
You might try here... http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php

Hey, I just noticed something...The front sight that Ruger is using on the new tactical version is nearly identical to the front sight they used years ago on the "GB" Mini-14. The only difference is the elimination of the bayonet lug they used on the underside of the GB front sight. Since Ruger has labeled their new version as "tactical," I wonder why they dropped the bayonet lug...? You can compare the photos of both at my website.

thesheepdog
May 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
Short barrel = less flexiblity, more rigidity. Also means less velocity. If you're pushing 55's then accuracy won't be an issue.

Duracoat is the toughest paint you can put on your gun. I just recently painted my SOPMOD DDM4 custom and i love the finish. Tough as nails.

thesheepdog
May 14, 2010, 03:56 PM
I also owned an older mini. Barrel got way too hot during training excersises and i lost a lot of accuracy. The newer models thicker/heavier barrels and are a major improvement. I would not mind having a new one. :)

NooYawkuh
May 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
The one pictured above is mine. It's a factory Tactical model, and I'm sure Ruger does not intend for it to be removed. I haven't attempted to do so, but I believe it's threaded on, and probably held tight with thread locker as well.
It could be cryofit: heat up the suppressor so it expands, chill the barrel in a bath of liquid nitrogen so it contracts, put the two pieces together, and when they reach ambient temperature they bind like a single piece. Never get 'em apart.